My dealership mess

phillypete

Ok, please forgive me but I didn't really know anything about jeeps when I walked into the dealership to purchase one.

I saw a picture of a jeep online with no top and some big tires. I saved the picture on my phone, showed it to the salesman and said I want this A stock jeep had no appeal to me, so he set me up with a jku with a MOPAR 3" lift and some 33" tires.

After I got home the research started and then I began to learn about the jeep and off roading culture. The first thing I learned is that those huge 33"a were actually tiny in the jeep world!

I called the dealership to ask to be bumped up to 35"s and i made a comment about the fox shocks and I found out that they planned to put a no name 2" spacer lift with a 1" body lift. I let them no this would not be acceptable, and things got weird from there.

After about a week of verbal battling with various levels of the organization they said they would do the MOPAR lift and they would call when it came in.

Two weeks pass and no call, so I call them. They tell me it'll be another two weeks because it isn't a "stock item".

And that's where we sit today.

My stomach is knots with stress, because I'm pretty sure they are still trying to screw me, but I don't know what to do.

I wish I could go back and redo the whole deal. I definitely would have done things differently.

So with that being said does anyone have advice on how to survive this mess with my sanity?

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Did you already pay for everything? I'd tell them to keep the lift and tires and just take the jeep with no mods. You didn't sign a contract with the dealership did you? Your not obligated to buy anything. Granted you may have to burn a bridge with that dealer but there are plenty of other dealers to get service from.

How much did they charge you for the lift and tire combo? Do some online research to see what you would pay for the same setup from a third party so you know if your getting bent over.

With that lift you can easily throw 35s under it later. Also the lift and tires will probably be covered under your warranty.

WAYALIFE APP 

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Just my humble opinion here. Buy a stock jeep, find a local offroad shop, get the lift, shocks, wheels AND tires, for A LOT LESS! Jeep charges and arm and a leg for basic lifts and wheels+tire combos.

Why do you want it all done at the dealer?

orngcrushrgrl

Just my humble opinion here. Buy a stock jeep, find a local offroad shop, get the lift, shocks, wheels AND tires, for A LOT LESS! Jeep charges and arm and a leg for basic lifts and wheels+tire combos.

I hafta agree here. A local shop will warranty their work too, and charge far less than the stealer-ship

StrizzyChris

YUP! Stock and get yourself a 2.5" budget boost lift (what a mopar lift is essentially) and a set of 35's of your choice. You can get all of that for less than 2K and most BB lift systems are super easy and straight forward to install. All you need is a couple wrenches and to fallow simple directions. Besides, it will orient you to the under side of your jeep :yup: AND you'll feel better about your new abilities and savings :thumb:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I priced a lift install from the "Stealership" and was floored on the price. I have since done all the work on it myself and saved a ton of money. They are very easy to work on. I replaced my springs and shocks in the parking lot. I live in a condo with a sloped driveway and no garage. You can buy if you don't have tools very inexpensively at HF. I do agree with the above posts. I highly recommend doing it yourself and learn a little more about your Jeep in the process.:thumb:

Food for thought...33's will fit on stock or trimming with flat flares 35's. TF leveling kit boasts up to 34'" tires with spacers for stock wheels. Installing 35's and hard wheeling you might want to add gussets and maybe trim pinch seam. What gears are you getting? The larger you go the more things you have to look at.

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

I was looking at a lifted 2013 2door at the stealership when I dropped mine off for work last week and their BB lift, wheels and tires were priced at 10K...5 for the lift and 5 for the wheel/tire package. :eek:

as mentioned above, have you given them any of your money yet? if not i would cancel the order and save the cash! :twocents:

phillypete

Did you already pay for everything? I'd tell them to keep the lift and tires and just take the jeep with no mods. You didn't sign a contract with the dealership did you? Your not obligated to buy anything. Granted you may have to burn a bridge with that dealer but there are plenty of other dealers to get service from.

How much did they charge you for the lift and tire combo? Do some online research to see what you would pay for the same setup from a third party so you know if your getting bent over.

With that lift you can easily throw 35s under it later. Also the lift and tires will probably be covered under your warranty.

WAYALIFE APP 

The lift, wheels, and tires are all rolled up in the purchase price.

They offered my $900 to take the wheels and tires and forget the lift. I told them I didn't want the wheels and tires without the lift. I told them if they wanted out they would have to pay retail plus install for the parts promised.

The issue is that they were anticipating putting on a 3" budget boost but promised me $3g suspension system and I caught them.

phillypete

YUP! Stock and get yourself a 2.5" budget boost lift (what a mopar lift is essentially) and a set of 35's of your choice. You can get all of that for less than 2K and most BB lift systems are super easy and straight forward to install. All you need is a couple wrenches and to fallow simple directions. Besides, it will orient you to the under side of your jeep :yup: AND you'll feel better about your new abilities and savings :thumb:

Yep, if I had the chance to redo it I would do it way differently!

Unfortunately I'm stuck right now.

If I get the $3g MOPAR kit I was promised its a good deal. If I get a budget boost I got hosed

StrizzyChris

If I get the $3g MOPAR kit I was promised its a good deal. If I get a budget boost I got hosed

Just so you know, and at least it is the case in CA and OH, a dealership is required to give you a full refund of money on an item that you have not signed or taken delivery of. They will blow a bunch of smoke up your :eek: but they are required to refund your deposit. Again at least that is the case in those states.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I guess I need to ask this, having lived in Myrtle Beach for 20+ years, did you get it from the local stealer on Hwy 17 and 501?

My next question, when you signed the "We Owe" form in the F&I office, what did it say that they owe you, in detail? If it doesn't list that Mopar lift as you mentioned, well... that's not good.

On the Bill of Sale, does it specifically mention the Mopar Lift or does it say something like "Lift Kit"?

The "We Owe" is your important document. If it doesn't say they owe you a "Mopar 3" Lift" and you signed it then you are going to be SOL.

Please share the details with us on this.

Atch

Sorry but I'd disagree about the 3k mopar lift being a good deal. For $3k you could get a far superior lift than the mopar kit, unless the 3k includes wheels & tires then its not as bad

RockyJk

Isn't the enforcer with kings close to that?

phillypete

I guess I need to ask this, having lived in Myrtle Beach for 20+ years, did you get it from the local stealer on Hwy 17 and 501?

My next question, when you signed the "We Owe" form in the F&I office, what did it say that they owe you, in detail? If it doesn't list that Mopar lift as you mentioned, well... that's not good.

On the Bill of Sale, does it specifically mention the Mopar Lift or does it say something like "Lift Kit"?

The "We Owe" is your important document. If it doesn't say they owe you a "Mopar 3" Lift" and you signed it then you are going to be SOL.

Please share the details with us on this.

I may have gotten it out of town. I'd rather not mention the dealer until all the details are resolved.

The we owe specifically states "MOPAR 3" Lift"

phillypete

Less. you can get the enforcer without the kings for $1499 and with the 2.5 kings for just over $2500

Yeah I agree the MOPAR kit is not a good value, however it does in fact retail for $3g.

With what I've learned since the purchase, if I had the cash in my pocket right now I'd do it completely differently. Wheels, tires, and lift... All different.

But it is what it is now.

And I told them for $5k they'd never hear from me again. But that didn't work for them.

Today I called and asked for a copy of the purchase order for the lift kit, to make sure they did in fact order the correct part.

Hopefully the lift comes in May 1st and all this is just my overactive paranoia. Otherwise I already have my complaint to better business drafted if things turn sour again.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Yeah I agree the MOPAR kit is not a good value, however it does in fact retail for $3g.

With what I've learned since the purchase, if I had the cash in my pocket right now I'd do it completely differently. Wheels, tires, and lift... All different.

But it is what it is now.

And I told them for $5k they'd never hear from me again. But that didn't work for them.

Today I called and asked for a copy of the purchase order for the lift kit, to make sure they did in fact order the correct part.

Hopefully the lift comes in May 1st and all this is just my overactive paranoia. Otherwise I already have my complaint to better business drafted if things turn sour again.

So that we are all clear. You e already purchased the JK. AND paid for the lift? Or are you purchasing a new JK already lifted and you haven't yet signed paperwork or taken delivery?

phillypete

So that we are all clear. You e already purchased the JK. AND paid for the lift? Or are you purchasing a new JK already lifted and you haven't yet signed paperwork or taken delivery?

Purchased and taken delivery. They didn't have the lift or tires in stock so they issued a "we owe" statement

phillypete

Well today I got them to produce a purchase order proving that the correct item was in fact on order.

So for now my mind can rest easy.

Top Bottom