Thoughts on BFG Krawler T/A KX

SDG

Caught the Bug
Starting to think about tires and wondering what people had to say about these.

For the 37x12.5 r 17 they come in at 77lbs each.

Saw them for a little over $500 ea.

I know most people on here run nittos but any thoughts on these guys?

Tcdawg

They are a killer tire on the rocks, you would love them. But they are soft and not something you would want to run on the road, you would run through them pretty fast.

Skirmish

Nena Barlow from Barlow Jeep Tours and School ran them in Moab and posted this report.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366424351.379519.jpg
From Nena: "So, you want to know how BFG Krawler blue labels compare to KM2's? The bottom line is that they stick to rocks better than KM2's in equal proportion to the price difference you pay, HOWEVER, you better factor in some stronger everything else if you plan to run these bad boys. Whereas a KM2 will let go when you reach a certain traction threshold, the Krawler will not. If you are used to using the Moab bump technique and/or using some tire spin to slide your tires into the line you want, you will not get that movement out of the Krawlers--they stick, or they give a couple of big dog barks and hop their way up, and you can practically hear your axle shafts and driveshafts groaning with strain. Also, the road manners are terrible. If you run a dual-purpose rig, these aren't the tire for you--they are rough and very easily knocked out of balance for death wobble like you can't imagine. But if you want to stick to every rock you point them at, and be able to drive your sidewalls as hard as your tread, then these ARE the tires for you. Also know that, though all other BFG's are famous for running small, the Krawlers were true to size. This photo shows the two next to each other, both stamped 37x12.50x17 brand new. Happy shopping!

SDG

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think that pretty much settles it, they are out. Sounds like I do too much on road driving for the tradeoffs. Maybe once I get all the rest of the jeep sorted out and have extra $$ I can put them on just for trips out to the trails.

T&ERun

LOSER
Silly question I know, but how loud are they on the road? I run 37" mud grapplers now and looking to get a quieter/softer tire (my grapplers are load range E).

Top Bottom