Spacer or not to Spacer

phillypete

I have 35" toyo M/T going on wheels with a 4.53 backspacing, and I am concerned that they won't sit wide enough for my taste.

Should I get some spacers to help set them wider and if so what size spacers?

If your running a similar backspacing with or without spacers please post pics!

Thanks

FoxC

4.5 back spacing and 35's will sit perfect. They will stick out a little from stock jk fenders. But, if your searching a wider stance you could add spacers. JK spacers are mainly offered in 1.5". You can get 1" spacers in JK 5 on 5 bolt pattern but you will need to cut down your stock wheel studs. I would not recommend that. 1.5" spacers will bring it down to 3" back spacing which is pretty wide. Check you local fender laws before you do this.:yup:

Last edited:

dchew

Like FoxC said, 4.5 should be plenty of backspacing for what you want to do. Because of coil overs I need 3.5" so I added 1.5" spacers to 4.625" backspacing, which gets me to 3.125". Very close to where you would be with spacers. I agree it's not a good idea to get spacers less than 1.5". Cutting the factory studs down puts you into a situation where you have to run those spacers forever or get new wheel bearings. Here are a few pics.

IMG_0582.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362940239.426721.jpg IMG_0555.jpg

Last edited:

kRay.JK

If you've got your heart set on spacers save a few bucks and buy Rough Country 1.5" spacers through quadratic or Morris. I'm not sure if northridge sells them. Use the money you saved on slivers of aluminum for more upgrades! Good luck!

kRay.JK

If you've got your heart set on spacers save a few bucks and buy Rough Country 1.5" spacers through quadratic or Morris. I'm not sure if northridge sells them. Use the money you saved on slivers of aluminum for more upgrades! Good luck!

Quadratec* darn autocorrect

phillypete

How where and how would I measure on my jk to get an idea of how far these will stick out with or without spacers?

FoxC

Someone more creative than me might be able to tell you how to measure that out, but...with 35's and 4.5" back spacing your tires will stick out about 3/4 of an inch or maybe a little more from stock uncut fenders. With a 1.5" spacer you will be that much more out from the fender. Thats wide. And, depending on the lift your running, it might look rather silly. Big lift and wide stance looks great, little lift and wide stance...well, not really.;)

Beyrgut

If you already have the spacers you can throw them on and see how it looks and remove if they look funny. If you don't have them wait and see how it looks before ordering the spacers, and if you decide to try them, time their shipment with your first tire rotation.

With a 3" lift and 35s you will most likely not like the look, it will look like a lowered hoopty where the entire tire sticks out past the fender. :eek:

SaddleTramp

Sorry for the tread drift but have a similar decisions to make.

Many of the wheels I've looked at don't seem to have enough back spacing and may require spacers which I'm not against but does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on how ATX Slabs would look/function with their 3.5" of backspacing and 35's with stock fenders and 2.5" of lift?

My other thought is to jump to 37's and flat fenders?

Appreciate any help!

Top Bottom