Anyone have first hand exp. faulty 3.6?

MobyJR

I've read plenty about the cylinder head issues and notorious "ticking" associated with the 3.6 Pentastars with early build dates. I've watched videos on it when I noticed mine making a slight "tick tick tick" sound. It's nowhere near as loud as in the videos I've watched, but definitely present nonetheless... It sounds like a bad lifter maybe, But today I got an engine light and it threw this code: ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366498229.879475.jpg
#6 misfire :/
Ill be in the field training for the next week so I can't take the jeep in for some time. But does anyone on here have any first hand experience in getting this problem fixed? I'm about 75% sure that this is the classic 3.6 cylinder head problem. My jeep was built in march of '12 and has 14,000 miles on it. It's ticked since 5,000 miles.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
It's not just early build dates, however it took the dealer only 3 days to fix. They also gave me a rental car.

tkkim

It's not just early build dates, however it took the dealer only 3 days to fix. They also gave me a rental car.

Mine is like dec 12 build date and have tick sound.

Do i have to go dealer to check engine? Or just wait till engine light show up?

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
Mine is like dec 12 build date and have tick sound.

Do i have to go dealer to check engine? Or just wait till engine light show up?

I waited till i got the codes P-306 & P-300. I have 17,000 miles on my Rubi and he said it was covered. He also said the even if the warranty was expired Chrysler would still have to pay for it.

StrizzyChris

I just had this in my 1.5 month old 2013 JKUR. I ordered it and it was built in Feb 2013 but i had no ticking whatsoever. I thought it was a code for my Dynomax exhaust that I just installed and heard others say it happened to them after installing. So I disconnected the battery and two days later the code came on again so took it to the dealership. They gave me a rental, and it took them 6 days to order parts and fix it since it was over the weekend. I'm starting to think this is a 3.6 issue in general and not limited to the early 2012's like everyone originally thought. Good luck!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I bought my 2012 last June and it has "ticked" since about 7K miles. It has 12K now. It's never thrown a code, but I did ask the service advisor to listen and put my "complaint" on the service order just in case it does. I think there are 3(?) chains in the timing case so it could just be a s$#t load of reciprocating links being a little noisy. Noise emission standards being what they are, I would think it would be very quiet at idle. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive. I dunno.:twocents:

My 12 jkr threw the misfire code at about 20,000 miles. I drove it for a couple weeks before taking it in. I was idling and the motor started vibrating. I revved it and it was fine. Didn't ask any questions, just fixed it. Only replaced one head.

MobyJR

Thanks for the input guys. Ill be taking it in next Monday. The engine light went off and then on, and now off again. I took that picture of the scanner though incase the dealership doesn't believe me. It also ticks and they can't deny that lol. Thanks again everyone.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I had around 20,000.0 miles on my 2012 ticking for 5,000.0 of it before it through a code. Ended up having head replaced.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

tkkim

I had around 20,000.0 miles on my 2012 ticking for 5,000.0 of it before it through a code. Ended up having head replaced.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

so without engine code show, no way to replace head?

kinda feel bad waiting engine light show up..

MobyJR

so without engine code show, no way to replace head?

kinda feel bad waiting engine light show up..

I dunno, I wouldn't doubt Chrysler would try to tell me "it's fine", or "we can't help you without the light on" so that's why I took a picture.

tkkim

I dunno, I wouldn't doubt Chrysler would try to tell me "it's fine", or "we can't help you without the light on" so that's why I took a picture.

Sigh..

Should be prepared every time to take photo when engine light shows up..

Last edited:

MobyJR

All finished up! New left cylinder head. Last one in TN or KY I'm lucky. I guess they're having a hard time finding more heads. No more ticking and it seems to be running fine. They even gave me a nice new Chrysler 200 to drive. Got the Jeep back today. No hassle at all.

tkkim

All finished up! New left cylinder head. Last one in TN or KY I'm lucky. I guess they're having a hard time finding more heads. No more ticking and it seems to be running fine. They even gave me a nice new Chrysler 200 to drive. Got the Jeep back today. No hassle at all.

I fix it too! They replaced #4,5 cylinder head!

Now everything is fine.

One question, when i turn on electric my jeep,(just before turn on engine), normally engine light shows up then after turn on engine, it's gone. Right? But if i wait my key on electric position till the ring sound finish , engine light was solid first then it blinked.

Is it normal?

But when i turn on engine, it's gone.

MobyJR

I fix it too! They replaced #4,5 cylinder head!

Now everything is fine.

One question, when i turn on electric my jeep,(just before turn on engine), normally engine light shows up then after turn on engine, it's gone. Right? But if i wait my key on electric position till the ring sound finish , engine light was solid first then it blinked.

Is it normal?

But when i turn on engine, it's gone.

I'm not sure but mine did that too. now it has stopped.

JBO-JK

Mine also threw the misfire code yesterday with 22000 on it, head ordered dealership continues to say it's ok to drive until the head arrives any input ?

Sent from my HTC One X using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom