Any thoughts about the AEV Supercharger kit?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Coming from AEV, it'll probably be a better setup than a RIPP. Having said that, I'm no fan of superchargers regardless of who makes it. As they themselves state, "The AEV Supercharger Kit will provide a 40% increase in horsepower and a 35% increase in torque. These numbers may vary slightly depending on the vehicle’s tire size, gear ratio, etc." They aren't even willing to give you specific HP/torque numbers or at what RPM and based on their disclaimer, these percentages were most likely acquired under optimal conditions on a stock JK. While I have no doubt that it'll provide a boost on pavement, I have yet to see a supercharger work well on the rocks. Sure, everyone who just got done spending upwards of $6k on one will swear by it but, from what I've seen, they tend to deliver power at all the wrong times and that's when they're aren't having any problems.

Of course, you're talking to a guy who up until recently has been playing with a stock 3.8L motor pushing really heavy 40x15.50's mounted on really heavy ProRock 60's and still have people complaining about how fast I drive :idontknow:

TrailBear

My buddy has one on his two door, on pavement with 35's he's about par with my stock sport unlimited 3.6, he hasn't had it on the trail enough to say how much if any improvement. He said it is a big improvement on pavement over stock, it's not noisy at all and runs a lot cooler then the ripps he has seen. This is just what I have seen and been told, can't tell you either way if its good or bad.

If you don't push the limits how do you find them??

1BAMFR

I do agree this blower woudln't help any on the trails crawling thru the rocks but on the highways I think it would help with power.

Not sure how strong the stock bottom-ends are on these JK's...I wonder how much abuse our motors can withstand. Especially with mine having 71k miles

Briguy114

Its a magnuson supercharger that is rebadged by AEV. You might be able to find more information if you search for the magnuson

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I found this...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51109_200X_PG.htm

And it says this...

During testing, a 2007 JK with 37" tires and 5.38 gears gained an impressive 40% more horsepower and 37% more torque at the wheels!

Did they mention where that additional power was coming in at? I don't question whether or not you will get more power but I'd like to see real and independent dyno numbers. I know people who have them all swear by them but from what I have seen, superchargers deliver the goods high up on the RPM and way too late to be useful on big rocks and ledges. But, that's what I have seen. For what little you really get and at upwards of $6000, I think I would save up a bit more and look into doing a 5.3L LS swap instead. Way cheaper than doing a HEMI and will give you real and useable HP and torque. But, that's just me. :yup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
the one nice thing about a supercharger over a turbo is that it is instant power. no turbo lag involved. so it might help on the trails a little when you are stuck on a rock and need to slide over it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
not to argue with you Eddie but was it in a jeep or another vehicle?

It's all good, I'm only referring to superchargers that I've seen in Jeeps and on the trail and I have seen quite a few. I have yet to be impressed. I've had offers to run several different superchargers over the years and, if I really thought they delivered what they promised, I would have done it.

cebley

Eddie is totally correct for the Ripp style blowers. All the vortech/procharger style superchargers make power later on in the band. I haven't seen any Jeeps with the sprintex or AEV/Magnuson style roots blowers yet but these typically deliver full torque extremely early on in the power band. I'm still content with my 3.8 and regear.... though that may be because I refuse to get behind the wheel of a 3.6 let alone anything supercharged or hemi/LS swapped.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It's all good, I'm only referring to superchargers that I've seen in Jeeps and on the trail and I have seen quite a few. I have yet to be impressed.

yea im sure on the trail they are not that impressive.

i guess where i was coming from with my original staement is that my brothers '06 chevy cobalt SS supercharged (only upgrade from stock is exhaust) out ran his friends '12 subi sti due to the fact he had more direct power because of the supercharger.

but once again we are talking Jeeps here which are a few hundred lbs heavier than either one

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie is totally correct for the Ripp style blowers. All the vortech/procharger style superchargers make power later on in the band. I haven't seen any Jeeps with the sprintex or AEV/Magnuson style roots blowers yet but these typically deliver full torque extremely early on in the power band. I'm still content with my 3.8 and regear.... though that may be because I refuse to get behind the wheel of a 3.6 let alone anything supercharged or hemi/LS swapped.

The Sprintex is definitely better but for how much they cost and what little you really get, I personally would prefer forwarding that money toward an LS. Like you, I'm content enough with a 3.8L motor and over the last 6+ years, it's been able to get me over just about anything I wanted. Also, I love the extra power that the 3.6L provides on my 2012 but, after seeing a JK with a small 5.3L LS in it, there's just no comparison. Unlike a HEMI or even a 6.2L LS, a 5.3L LS can be found for cheap and just about anywhere and so upgrading to one is surprisingly more affordable than most would think.

cozdude said:
yea im sure on the trail they are not that impressive.

i guess where i was coming from with my original staement is that my brothers '06 chevy cobalt SS supercharged (only upgrade from stock is exhaust) out ran his friends '12 subi sti due to the fact he had more direct power because of the supercharger.

but once again we are talking Jeeps here which are a few hundred lbs heavier than either one

Oh yeah, on pavement and in a smaller and lighter cobalt, I'm sure you'd see real power. On a Jeep weighing 6,000 lbs. and up, I just haven't seen it make a difference where it really counts. Not saying that you wouldn't see power, just not enough or where you'd want it for the $6k price tag.

1BAMFR

Did they mention where that additional power was coming in at? I don't question whether or not you will get more power but I'd like to see real and independent dyno numbers. I know people who have them all swear by them but from what I have seen, superchargers deliver the goods high up on the RPM and way too late to be useful on big rocks and ledges. But, that's what I have seen. For what little you really get and at upwards of $6000, I think I would save up a bit more and look into doing a 5.3L LS swap instead. Way cheaper than doing a HEMI and will give you real and useable HP and torque. But, that's just me. :yup:

Yes, We need to see some dyno graphs showing an overlay of stock vs. this blower.

"Usually" a roots style blower will hit hard down low but I'm comparing my experience to a V8 motor...these V6's might need a little more time to build that initial "hit" in power.

In a JK I would much rather have the power and torque of a badass N/A V8, but this caught my eye as a quick bolt on some power in a weekend. I would still worry about tranny heat and the bottom-end.

1BAMFR

The Sprintex is definitely better but for how much they cost and what little you really get, I personally would prefer forwarding that money toward an LS. Like you, I'm content enough with a 3.8L motor and over the last 6+ years, it's been able to get me over just about anything I wanted. Also, I love the extra power that the 3.6L provides on my 2012 but, after seeing a JK with a small 5.3L LS in it, there's just no comparison. Unlike a HEMI or even a 6.2L LS, a 5.3L LS can be found for cheap and just about anywhere and so upgrading to one is surprisingly more affordable than most would think.

Oh yeah, on pavement and in a smaller and lighter cobalt, I'm sure you'd see real power. On a Jeep weighing 6,000 lbs. and up, I just haven't seen it make a difference where it really counts. Not saying that you wouldn't see power, just not enough or where you'd want it for the $6k price tag.

Have you ever noticed how much faster JK's are when you remove the hardtops and doors? It's like 100HP!!!!!! :eek:
Weight reduction...cheapest way to gain speed!:rock:

jeeeep

Hooked
I almost bought a RIPP until I drove a neighbor's JK that had it. Power was not smooth and it kicked in at higher RPM's--great for freeway go but on the trail I almost wrecked his Jeep a few times due to the power surge.
Now this was the early RIPP and they may have solved some of the issues but the total $$$ he told me he actually spent, it was closer to $8K.

Eddie, what's the weight difference between Hemi and LS? Do you know if the LS can use all off the shelf parts - radiator etc... what ever is needed to make it work in a JK. I assume Evo is doing the transplant?

Metalmasher

1BAMFR said:
Yes, We need to see some dyno graphs showing an overlay of stock vs. this blower.

"Usually" a roots style blower will hit hard down low but I'm comparing my experience to a V8 motor...these V6's might need a little more time to build that initial "hit" in power.

In a JK I would much rather have the power and torque of a badass N/A V8, but this caught my eye as a quick bolt on some power in a weekend. I would still worry about tranny heat and the bottom-end.

I've been down this road and believe me it's long and expensive! I went as far as purchasing my own fuel mapping programs trying to locate some usable power, but a supercharger is for drag racing not rock crawling in my opinion! There is no replacement for displacement so I sold my supercharger and v6 and went with LS 3! Very happy now!

Top Bottom