ATX Slabs coming what to put on them

steadfast91

I currently have 37" BFG KM2 on Aev Pintlers with 65% tread left on them with a new spare. I am debating putting these tires on the new slabs or would it be better to sell them as a set and get new tires for the slabs.

What tire? I have no issues with my BFG's other than they run small. I would like to have a true 37" or maybe even a 38". Most all of my wheeling is in Az on rocks like in the "Florence Junction" video.

Also can someone shine some light on the pros & cons of running a wider tire.

Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I currently have 37" BFG KM2 on Aev Pintlers with 65% tread left on them with a new spare. I am debating putting these tires on the new slabs or would it be better to sell them as a set and get new tires for the slabs.

What tire? I have no issues with my BFG's other than they run small. I would like to have a true 37" or maybe even a 38". Most all of my wheeling is in Az on rocks like in the "Florence Junction" video.

Also can someone shine some light on the pros & cons of running a wider tire.

Thanks.

If it were me, I'd sell what you have now as a set and just get new tires. For the kind of rocks you have out in Florence Junction, I personally would recommend something more along the lines of Nitto Mud Grapplers or Trail Grapplers.

As far as tire sizes go, BFG's do run small but no tire measures up to what is listed on the sidewall. Also, I would stay away from odd sizes like 38" as if you need to bum a spare or find one in a pinch, you'll have a much harder time finding one.

StrizzyChris

As far as tire sizes go, BFG's do run small but no tire measures up to what is listed on the sidewall.

Yup! No tire I have ever ran on my old pickups or jeeps have ever been what the sidewall says. My Nitto Mud Grapplers I have now are 35x12.50r17 and I just measured them last night to recalibrate my speedo with the AEV Procal and they measured exactly 34"

Tcdawg

Big fan of the MTR's. They run great on the rocks. Aired down low with those beadlocks, they would be killer. Awesome hookup at 4 or 5 psi.

My 37's measure 36.5 on an 8" wide wheel, 28 psi

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If it were me, I'd sell what you have now as a set and just get new tires. For the kind of rocks you have out in Florence Junction, I personally would recommend something more along the lines of Nitto Mud Grapplers or Trail Grapplers.

As far as tire sizes go, BFG's do run small but no tire measures up to what is listed on the sidewall. Also, I would stay away from odd sizes like 38" as if you need to bum a spare or find one in a pinch, you'll have a much harder time finding one.

This! You need Nitto's or Toyo's for those rocks out there.

Yup! No tire I have ever ran on my old pickups or jeeps have ever been what the sidewall says. My Nitto Mud Grapplers I have now are 35x12.50r17 and I just measured them last night to recalibrate my speedo with the AEV Procal and they measured exactly 34"

Mine are closer to 33".

GCM 2

...... rocks like in the "Florence Junction" video.

To the OP, this statement above here that you wrote. Well in that video by Wayalife, what is not shown is that during this weekend run that we did this was the end of my relationship with Goodyear MTR's. Out of the four rigs in that video, I'm the only one that destroyed two tires, the other rigs running Nitto and Toyos had not one issue. Goodyear MTR/K's cannot withstand the type of wheeling we have out here in AZ, their sidewalls are exceptionally weak. The Goodyears are really, really hard to balance too. I would look at Nitto Trail Grapplers or Toyo Open Country MT's for the rocks we have out in the desert.

jeeeep

Hooked
Are the Nitto and Toyo a softer compound? how do they hold up as a DD? I'm moving to 37's but debating whether to keep 35's as DD and use the 37's for the trail or sell the 35's and run 37's.
I make several trips from Texas to Utah and get decent mileage with the 35's
Sorry OP didn't mean to hijack your post.

suicideking

One more vote for the GY MTR/K. My mod shop sells mostly the MTR/K and says he has never had problems balancing them. I like the Toyo too.

I've read the Nitto's are a heavy tire and more likely to break something.

I don't like the BFG's. Every time there's a flat on the trail, it's a BFG. One of my buddies just switched from BFG to the MTR. Said the MTR is much smoother on the street and not as loud.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
One more vote for the GY MTR/K. My mod shop sells mostly the MTR/K and says he has never had problems balancing them. I like the Toyo too.

I've read the Nitto's are a heavy tire and more likely to break something.

I don't like the BFG's. Every time there's a flat on the trail, it's a BFG. One of my buddies just switched from BFG to the MTR. Said the MTR is much smoother on the street and not as loud.

The MTR's are 64 pounds and the Toyo MT's and Nitto Trail Grapplers are 80 and 81 respectively I believe. That is for a 35x12.5x17 and not too much of a difference to worry about. I would go with what is proven. Toyo or Nitto gets my vote.

rtguy1

first time running nitto trail grapplers for me. they are very quiet, smooth riding, and well mannered for a 37" tire with such an aggressive tread pattern. FYI I'm running at 28.5 psi in all 4. there is not a lot of weight on my wheels and these things balanced well and are very smooth...no wobbles at all. i have ran bfg a/t, bfg m/t, mickey thompson baja claws, the old school mtr's, and a few other tires. the nittos so far are the best all around. the toyos are sweet too, but i havew not ran them personally.

The MTR's are 64 pounds and the Toyo MT's and Nitto Trail Grapplers are 80 and 81 respectively I believe. That is for a 35x12.5x17 and not too much of a difference to worry about. .

although i too vote for the nitto's, i disagree here. 16-17lb per tire is a big difference. it will change dynamics quite a bit. we have to face the fact that although they are badass tires and have mean sidewalls the nitto's (and toyo's)are freakin heavy.....but heavy for a reason:thumb: you wont be slicing these easily on the trail

Last edited:

steadfast91

Thanks for all the feedback.
I think I am going to go with Nitto Trail Grapplers it sounds like they offer the best On & Off road performance. I am a little worried about the extra weight with wheels and tires but my goal was to make it as dependable as possible.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
although i too vote for the nitto's, i disagree here. 16-17lb per tire is a big difference. it will change dynamics quite a bit.

eh, I'd have to disagree with you here. I've run all 3 on a 4-door JK and didn't notice a thing other than performance on the rocks. The only time I've noticed any sort of change is when I tested out a set of Falken Wildpeaks. Still a really heavy tire but I easily got 4-5 MPG more with them in spite of it. Rolling resistance or lack thereof will always make bigger difference.

StrizzyChris

16-17lb per tire is a big difference. it will change dynamics quite a bit.

eh, I'd have to disagree with you here. I've run all 3 on a 4-door JK and didn't notice a thing other than performance on the rocks. The only time I've noticed any sort of change is when I tested out a set of Falken Wildpeaks. Still a really heavy tire but I easily got 4-5 MPG more with them in spite of it. Rolling resistance or lack thereof will always make bigger difference.

what say ye about the difference of this weight towards axle shaft failure. At what weight difference will it be a factor in early failure?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
what say ye about the difference of this weight towards axle shaft failure. At what weight difference will it be a factor in early failure?

A few pounds plus or minus on the same size tire will make no difference at all. Or, at least, not that I have seen. A larger diameter tire will make a much bigger difference.

GCM 2

Thanks for all the feedback.
I think I am going to go with Nitto Trail Grapplers it sounds like they offer the best On & Off road performance. I am a little worried about the extra weight with wheels and tires but my goal was to make it as dependable as possible.

Don't worry about the weight, you are adding "unsprung weight". In the world of offroading unsprung weight is beneficial and helps to retain or even lower your center of gravity. Like many have stated, the increased weight of the Toyo and Nitto (both tires made by the same parent company, in the USA) would be from a much heavier sidewall. And again, in offroading that's a good thing since sidewall tears, punctures and gouges can't be repaired. Want real world proof of how good Nitto tires are; last year Nitto sponsored two events, The Ultimate Adventure and The JK Experience. Both events have participants cover about 1000 miles of mixed terrain. The vehicles running the Nitto's in either event suffered not one failure. I can personally speak for the JKX, that about 18 (maybe 20) of 22 vehicles ran the Nitto's, the others running BFG's and Falken's all ended up going to spares due to sidewall failures.

Pretty easy choice for me, since I can't (won't) carry two spares, I choose to run Nitto's over all the other brands listed which all failed for me. I think you will be very happy with your choice, I have yet to meet someone who switches and hadn't been completely satisfied with Nitto or Toyo.

Rusty

Lucky you... Mine (ATX Slabs) have been on order at wheels pro's through National 4wd (canada) since end of February... (it cost the same as shipping from EVO when they had their special going...)

:idontknow: The guys at ATX told me I should get them before June... I have my fingers crossed...

steadfast91

Don't worry about the weight, you are adding "unsprung weight". In the world of offroading unsprung weight is beneficial and helps to retain or even lower your center of gravity. Like many have stated, the increased weight of the Toyo and Nitto (both tires made by the same parent company, in the USA) would be from a much heavier sidewall. And again, in offroading that's a good thing since sidewall tears, punctures and gouges can't be repaired. Want real world proof of how good Nitto tires are; last year Nitto sponsored two events, The Ultimate Adventure and The JK Experience. Both events have participants cover about 1000 miles of mixed terrain. The vehicles running the Nitto's in either event suffered not one failure. I can personally speak for the JKX, that about 18 (maybe 20) of 22 vehicles ran the Nitto's, the others running BFG's and Falken's all ended up going to spares due to sidewall failures.

Pretty easy choice for me, since I can't (won't) carry two spares, I choose to run Nitto's over all the other brands listed which all failed for me. I think you will be very happy with your choice, I have yet to meet someone who switches and hadn't been completely satisfied with Nitto or Toyo.

Thanks for the insight!! Now I just need to hurry and wait for my wheels to come in.

1BAMFR

Don't worry about the weight, you are adding "unsprung weight". In the world of offroading unsprung weight is beneficial and helps to retain or even lower your center of gravity. Like many have stated, the increased weight of the Toyo and Nitto (both tires made by the same parent company, in the USA) would be from a much heavier sidewall. And again, in offroading that's a good thing since sidewall tears, punctures and gouges can't be repaired. Want real world proof of how good Nitto tires are; last year Nitto sponsored two events, The Ultimate Adventure and The JK Experience. Both events have participants cover about 1000 miles of mixed terrain. The vehicles running the Nitto's in either event suffered not one failure. I can personally speak for the JKX, that about 18 (maybe 20) of 22 vehicles ran the Nitto's, the others running BFG's and Falken's all ended up going to spares due to sidewall failures. Pretty easy choice for me, since I can't (won't) carry two spares, I choose to run Nitto's over all the other brands listed which all failed for me. I think you will be very happy with your choice, I have yet to meet someone who switches and hadn't been completely satisfied with Nitto or Toyo.

Do you need anymore proof that the Nittos's are the SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yup:

Top Bottom