Cooper STT's

Renagade119

So I'm looking into getting some new rubber and I've pretty much got my mind set on Duratracs. But a couple days ago a buddy of mine told me to scrap the duratracs and go to STT's. He runs them on his Ranger (which he uses to do some light mudding and take his bike places) so I looked into them and they look decent, but a little aggressive. I'd be willing to get them on the condition that the wear well and have good snow/ice performance? Anyone got anything to say? Or should I stick with duratracs?

Rule18

So many guys have so many tire experiences and opinions. As far as Duratracs are concerned, most people that own a set have good things to say, particularly that they're a great all around tire (on and off road). I believe they're not great for heavy mudding because of the tight tread pattern (as opposed to a more open pattern).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
STT's are good tires but assuming you see a lot of snow and ice, I think the Duratacs would do better. If you're not planning to go bigger than 35's, I would give the new Toyo AT's a look as well as they come with a 65,000 mile warranty. Great tire as well.

Renagade119

Yea that's totally true. And in the past when people have been suggesting MT's I've shut them down on the spot because for my usage a generic MT is faaaar too aggressive for me. But the STT's look like a decent balance, maybe just a tad on the aggressive side, but acceptable for me

Renagade119

STT's are good tires but assuming you see a lot of snow and ice, I think the Duratacs would do better. If you're not planning to go bigger than 35's, I would give the new Toyo AT's a look as well as they come with a 65,000 mile warranty. Great tire as well.

Oh yea, I see tons. We still have snow here :p I've looked at the new AT-II's and they look good but maybe not as aggressive as I would like (I know, I'm getting picky here) and my dad has a contact for Goodyear so that's another reason I've really been leaning towards the duratracs. I'm looking for a 31x10.50 also

OJK12

I have them in a 35x12.5 and they are not a bad snow ice tire ( I live in PA ) but they are wearing out rather quickly and I even rotate them every 3,000 miles. Offroad they work okay, but for a mud tire they clog up quick and don't self clean well. Overall I'd suggest a different tire as I will not be getting them again.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I had them on my old truck in NY and loved every minute of them. They seemed to fair well in most environments and I had over 50,000 miles on them when I sold them. Probably only would have gotten a few thousand more though.

C-Ron

Some of my coworkers run them and they loose chunks all the time but are great in mud, sand, and dry conditions. I run cooper stt Maxx on my truck and they're awesome tires. I haul up to 2,000lbs on washboard roads up to 60 mph all the time. Haven't had a problem with chunking and wear at a good rate. I could see getting 50-60k miles on them. If they had anything larger than a 285 I would get some for my Jk.

Oh and I should note that the guys losing chunks treat the tires like an AT, not a MT. That's why they're always losing chunks lol

xflstl

I ran a set of STT 33's Loved them enough when I went to 37's I stuck with STT's, then when I went to 42's I cried for a minute because they don't make it above a 37".. They Toyo Open country M/T LT is the exact same tread just with the different sidewall but they only goto 40". AS mentioned before they do chunk some, in my exp they wear decent. Only real drawback I found is they are one of the more heavy tires, or so it seemed.

xflstl

Blahhhhhh. This is getting farrrr too hard

Put it this way, if you go with the STT you are in no way making a poor choice. They are a great tire, and the price is usually right :) Tread Depot usually has a pretty darn good deal on them.

metaldemon

I have had bad luck with Goodyear over the years. I am going with the SSTs when I wear out the BFG MTs I have on right now.

Top Bottom