XJ Alternator Upgrade

JeffC84

Has anyone upgraded their alternator on their XJ? And if so what alternator did you use and what modifications were necessary if any?

PackersJeep

Did a Mean Green on my '98 XJ. Had to file down the bracket a little bit (took all of maybe 10 minutes to do it by hand in early December). Highly recommend them, ran it for 4-5 years with no issues and MAJOR power draw.

Hope it helps

Tigrcky

got the 100 amp one from napa replaced the 60 amp no extra charge, only thing to watch out for is over heating the main wire coming off of it but the factory adjusted for it. :rock:

Rollincoal420

I know a few guys that have installed a Durango alternator. I think it to just need a little filing

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

2k13jk

A v8 zj has a 135 amp alternator youll just have to grind down the mounting portion on the zj alternator and its a direct fit and a good upgrade

jeepgreenjon

I just actually installed a v8 ZJ alternator on my brother in laws xj a few weeks ago. It was a direct fit, no filing required and works great. No light dimming or anything while he runs his massive stereo.

Tigrcky

What about the 240 amp one listed on ebay ?

Sent from my K1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

i cant imagine someone needing that much amperage, that is like having 16 KC daylighter 150 watt lights, you will start melting out stock wiring harnesses and not to mention the drag on the serp belt will be very high causing you to lose engine power.

bluecherokee01

I don't think it wouldn't be much different than the mean green alternator. It is a lot cheaper also . $174 vs $400 :eek: Wiring harness is easy to change out also. Might be overkill but hey I am just wondering if anyone on here has done it . Not that I am going to do it .

Last edited:

bluecherokee01

Correct me if I am wrong most sites list 1997 thru 2001 xj's have 117 amp alternators. My build sheet says mine (2001 xj )came with a124 amp alternator. Whats up with that?

bluecherokee01

You can put a 160 amp alternator on to from a 2006 thru 2010 xk (Commander ) 4.7 v8 on also with only slight mods to alternator itself. I think it was used on other jeeps and engine sizes of that time frame also .

Top Bottom