Steering Issues

Parker "P.T." JK

So I have a bit of steering wheel wobble between 40-45mph. And the jeep lists over to the right when I drive, so much it turns my steering wheel a little bit. I have 78000 miles on the jeep, 2.5in RK stock mod lift, 35in tires. Is it time for new ball joints and steering stabilizer?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A speed related wobble as you have described is almost always a tire balancing issue. I would start there for that.

Regarding your list, it's totally normal for a JK to have it to some degree. In fact, we refer to it as the "JK Lean". You can correct some of this with adjustable sway bar links and setting the passenger side ones taller than the driver side ones. If it's really off, it could be that your coils on that side have been over compressed.

Parker "P.T." JK

Thanks! I'm gonna try the sway bar links. How much should I adjust them up more? Also we did have to use a spring compressor to get the spring on the jeep when we installed the lift

kRay.JK

Use the pry bar method to test ball joints. If you see any play at all replace them! Next have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at steering tie rod and drag link. Also look at track bar for any play or movement.

Sent from WAYALIFE iPhone app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! I'm gonna try the sway bar links. How much should I adjust them up more? Also we did have to use a spring compressor to get the spring on the jeep when we installed the lift

Ah, that might be the cause right there. I would start off by setting the links about 1" taller. If it looks taller on the passenger side after that, let it settle before making any additional adjustments. If it doesn't make up enough difference, you may need new coils. But, I doubt it. Oh, you should know that it'll be harder to install your links back on with them being offset like that. Having someone stand on your bumper and bouncing around will help installation to go easier or, you can use a jack.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome, thanks for the help! Also, I got some annoying bump steer, can a new steering stabilizer cure that?

Are you sure what you're feeling is bump steer? Have you installed a dropped pitman arm without also installing a track bar relocation bracket or vice versa? If you have your suspension/steering dialed in right, you shouldn't even need a steering stabilizer other than to absorb sudden hits.

Top Bottom