plastic vs metal jerry cans

I'm looking at some new places to explore this summer and given my less then steller gas mileage i might very well need some jerry cans to be on the safe side. What type do you guys use? pros or cons in the plastic vs metal department? I started to do a little research and it sounds like for the metal ones after you climb in elevation you need to open them up and release pressure in the can were the plastic ones expand a bit.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I prefer the metal cans. I picked up a cheap syphon pump from harbor freight so I don't have to hold a 40-50 lbs can up while refueling.

GCM 2

I'm looking at some new places to explore this summer and given my less then steller gas mileage i might very well need some jerry cans to be on the safe side. What type do you guys use? pros or cons in the plastic vs metal department? I started to do a little research and it sounds like for the metal ones after you climb in elevation you need to open them up and release pressure in the can were the plastic ones expand a bit.

They will all expand/contract with elevation and temperature changes, and at some point either leak to relieve pressure or be almost impossible to open. I have run both metal and plastic over the years. Because I'm former military, I have acquired quite a few of the military 5gal plastic fuel and water cans, so that's all I have now. The only downside to true military plastic cans, they need a very specific filler nozzle that can't really be purchased on the open market, but neither can the fuel cans. I like the plastic because they are more robust and seem to stand up to hard use. The trick to keep them from leaking is only run 4 or maybe 4.5 gallons. Never top them off, the fuel will find its way out.

Augichef

They will all expand/contract with elevation and temperature changes, and at some point either leak to relieve pressure or be almost impossible to open. I have run both metal and plastic over the years. Because I'm former military, I have acquired quite a few of the military 5gal plastic fuel and water cans, so that's all I have now. The only downside to true military plastic cans, they need a very specific filler nozzle that can't really be purchased on the open market, but neither can the fuel cans. I like the plastic because they are more robust and seem to stand up to hard use. The trick to keep them from leaking is only run 4 or maybe 4.5 gallons. Never top them off, the fuel will find its way out.

Good to know picking some up soon.
Augi

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom