Tuffy Tailgate Enclosure

Skirmish

Just installed the smaller tailgate trunk that fits behind the 2 dr rear seat. Would have loved the extra space of the larger version but at $465 I chose the smaller $200 version. Ordered it from Northridge4x4 and got it within a week.

The install is very simple, about a half hour from boxed to finished. You just need to slip on a few weather stripping pieces, take out the forward cargo loops next to the cubby, slide in the front panel and bolt back down the loops. The top slides in over the front between the rear cage trim and bolts with wing nuts to the front. That's it. I used dish soap to lube the rubber weather stripping to get the top past the plastic trim.

I also mounted a Viair 2 gallon air tank to the front. The trunk is small but the volume is about 1/3 bigger than the plastic cargo box I had from Lowes. It fits my tools, recovery gear, first aid kit and still has room for more. The big advantage for me is being able to access it with the soft top simply by opening the gate. With the gate closed and locked it is secure. The box I had opened on top so I had to open the rear window as well as undo the pad locks and accessing the jack and cubby hole used to require removing the box. No I can simply move the gear and lift the access panel.

This was my old gear box. I ran cable through the cargo loops into the box to secure it to the tub. Practical and fairly cheap but inconvenient.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366852910.747452.jpg

I only have a pic from the front but Tuffy has more on their site from the back.
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-446-tuffy-2011-jk-security-tailgate-enclosure.aspx

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366853056.194967.jpg

Skirmish

I considered building but was having a hard time figuring out how to engineer it. If you are still coming out for the marathon you can have a look at mine for ideas. Shouldn't be too complicated. I was thinking I needed sides which would add a lot to fitting. I think the larger version has them but the small one is just top and front.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I considered building but was having a hard time figuring out how to engineer it. If you are still coming out for the marathon you can have a look at mine for ideas. Shouldn't be too complicated. I was thinking I needed sides which would add a lot to fitting. I think the larger version has them but the small one is just top and front.

Yeah I'm still coming. Ill check it out then.

Top Bottom