Started building a tire swing bumper

Fridge81

That looks nice! What did you do for a latch? Is that just a taller spindle as a pivot point?

Sent from some trail, somewhere

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Always cool to see fabbed up parts - nice!

I too would be interested in what you used for a spindle.

Brian.243

I used a 1 1/8 in. Grade 8 bolt and sleeved it with 1 1/2 inch od 3/16 wall DOM tubing for the hinge. I ran the bolt all the way through the bumper and put a sleeve in the bumper and welded that inside the bumper.
then just tacked the head in place so I didn't have to weld on the bolt and weaken it. I used a 2000 lb de sta co latch from grainier. Still need to make gas can holders and a basket to go over tire.
I need to figure out how to make all that removable so I can just put it on when I want to carry extra fuel ect.
200 miles of dirt roads in Death Valley and its still tight and no rattles. I want to make something to hold it open but haven't figured that out yet.

Fridge81

Sweet! I just built one myself. I used a 2200lb trailer spindle but am not happy with it so I'm going to buy the JCR spindle Kit.

I'd like to see the latch if you have a picture of it!

Here is mine if your interested.
1366902502683.jpg 1366902545476.jpg
I don't like my latch, i worry about it so I'm looking for something else.

Brian.243

I will get a pic of the latch posted up. The model is a de sta co 344 latch.
How did you do your third brake light in the lug holes that looks awesome. I would love to see some pics of that and how you routed the wires and what kind of bulbs. Thanks.

Brian.243

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366903088.356818.jpg
Here is the latch from a website. I mounted it at a 45 degree angle so it holds the swing down and forward.

Fridge81

That is the latch i wanted to use but had a road trip coming up and didn't have time to wait for shipping. Sweet, I'll go ahead and get one.

I used some single diode LED's from my local trailer store. I'll get some pics and part numbers for you when i get a chance.

As far as wiring, i ran the brake light pigtail back through the loom that goes into the tail gate and ran the wires under the carpet to come out of the bottom of the gate. It looks alright. I'll get some pics if that for you too.

Top Bottom