Jump starting

hillybilly

Do I risk damage to my 2012 jk when jump starting someone? Had to jump start a car the other day and started thinking. Thought I read somewhere that you can damage your computer when doing this. Or would it be the electrical surge to the dead vehicle that would be the issue?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose anything is possible but, I've used my 2012 to jump start vehicles and haven't had any problems :idontknow:

I would think as long as you don't cross the cables and hook them up backwards you should be fine. Ask me how I know. Glad you did. I hooked up the batter terminals backwards on my 4 wheeler and blew the ECU :doh:. Long and short of it $500 later she runs like a top.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
yea the only time you would have a problem is if you hook the cables up wrong or touch the ends together.

billybob990

You can damage your computer, but only if you spark the to cables together to see if you have connection, there will Prolly be someone disagree with this but when I jump start someone I do it with the key off. If you have a good set of thick jumper cables you can leave the key off. That's how I've always done it. But like I said before normal jump starting won't hurt anything unless you short out the cables, because then you are sending a surge through your battery and potentially through all wires connected to it.

jeeeep

Hooked
With both cars off, I always connected pos terms to both cars 1st, then neg post on good battery and neg to body (not battery) of dead car. Start the good car and turn on the lights, then try to start the dead car

Top Bottom