Knuckles Offroad Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier

jk12blk

For those of you interested in the KOR rear bumper w/ tire carrier, here you go...

Bumper arrives in a crate as shown below (includes all parts and instructions)

View attachment 27056

First step is to install the Backing Plate to the tailgate.
Before you can do this, you need to remove the spare tire, third brake light, factory tire carrier (8 bolts), vent cover, and bump stops.
KOH provides instructions on how to do this.
Photo below detailing this step after removing all parts.
Note: I removed the third brake light wire completely until I figure out what I want to do. The wire can be disconnected from inside the tailgate through an access panel on the inside of the tailgate. I believe KOR does include a third brake light mount as part of their license plate relocation bracket (just not sure I want to install the license bracket yet - may do something custom for the brake light only).

IMG_2432.jpg

Next step is to install the Backing Plate to the tailgate.
Note: if you ordered the rotopax mounts, you will need to secure the mounts to the backing plate prior to installation.
Using the provided M8 X30 (8) stainless bolts, secure the backing plate to the tailgate.
(I used some anti-seize on the 8 bolts prior to securing to the tailgate)
Couple photos below of the Backing Plate and rotopax

IMG_2448.jpg IMG_2446.jpg

After installing the Backing Plate, the next step is to install the KOR rear bumper.
Begin by removing the factory bumper and tow hitch if equipped (KOR provides instructions on how to do this and explains which factory bolts to keep).

After removing the factory bumper and tow hitch (if equipped), to make clearance for the rear bumper, the ends of the frame rails need to be notched.
After marking the three points per KOR instructions, it is time to cut.
Here are a few photos to give you an idea.
Be sure to paint the exposed metal

IMG_2460.jpg IMG_2454 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg IMG_2462.jpg

After cutting frame rail corners, it is time to install the rear bumper.
However, there are a few items which need to be complete prior to sliding on the rear bumper.
1) KOR explains one of the four cross member holes in the frame needs to be enlarged (9/16 bit)
Be sure to paint any exposed edges to prevent rust drilling the hole larger
2) If you ordered the Rigid LED lights, this is the time to install (I did not order lights)
3) KOR provides a small back plate which must be installed at this point. I chose to paint my plate blue which makes KOR fist logo clearly visible on the bottom of the bumper.

KOR recommends two people, but I was able to install the rear bumper by myself (slides on fairly easily - just need to line it up as the fit is snug).
The bumper lines up well with all bolts holes and after looking below, I could see why the frame rail notches were necessary.
Install all bumper bolts first prior to tightening (4 across the rear cross member, 6 on the sides (3 each side).
Some photos of the bumper installation below

IMG_2465.jpg IMG_2472.jpg
IMG_2473.jpg IMG_2475.jpg
IMG_2471.jpg IMG_2470.jpg

After installing the bumper, it's time to assemble the tire carrier arm to the spindle.
KOR provides instructions for installing the bearings, grease seal, washer and castle nut.
Here are a few photos

Bearings, grease seal, washer and castle nut

Optimized-IMG_2481.JPG

Larger bearing and grease seal installed in arm

Optimized-IMG_2485.JPG

After installing the large bearing and grease seal, the arm can be placed on the bumper spindle.
The small bearing is next to be installed followed by the washer and castle nut.
Using a 1 1/2 socket, secure the castle nut (I had a hard time finding a 1 1/2 socket which would fit inside the arm hole. I finally found a socket at Lowes which fit).
Grease the bearings using the zerk fitting and install top cap (note: KOR is developing billet cap for the castle nut - should be available soon)
Photos below of spindle, castle nut and securing the castle nut (I installed the upper race (not shown) myself, but generally the upper race comes installed from KOR)

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

Optimized-IMG_2492.JPG

This concludes Part 1 (I think I maxed on 20 photos per post).
Will try to respond to my own thread to finish this write-up.
:beer:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Is this then one that sits at an angle? Love the look. Curious how it is to get the spare on/off and how it hold up over time. Thanks for posting this up!

jk12blk

Part 2 - Final assembly

Next step is to install the tailgate link to the tire carrier.
This step also includes installing the rubber bumper.
The rubber bumper will likely require trimming, but make sure you do not cut it too short.
The rubber bumper turns out to be a key part in ensuring a snug and rattle free tire carrier.
KOR provides detailed instructions for installing the tailgate link and rubber bumper.
Here are few photos detailing these steps

Carrier link

Optimized-IMG_2520.JPG

Rubber bumper cut and also installed (carrier link and bumper work together to ensure a rattle free assembly)

IMG_2518.jpg Optimized-IMG_2521.JPG

Next step is to install the Skewer, tire mounting bracket, tire anti-tire tip bracket.
Note: when ordering the Skewer, you also get the traditional vertical tire carrier (two carrier styles for one bumper - pretty cool).
Again, KOR provides detailed instructions for installing each part.
Here are some supportive photos for your installation.
Note: I don't think I had adjusted some of the brackets, but do note you will need to adjust the backspacing bracket and anti-tip bracket to fit your tire/wheel combo.

IMG_2525.jpg IMG_2527.jpg
IMG_2535.jpg IMG_2542.jpg
Optimized-IMG_2556.JPG Optimized-IMG_2557.JPG

Some of you may be wondering how difficult it is to install the tire.
I'm 6'6" and running 35's, so I was able to lift the spare tire up to the mount without difficulty.
Larger tires will most likely take two people to install (unloading is easy though).
The overall stability of the carrier is really good - no vibrations, rattling or shaking when driving down the freeway.

Here are some final photos to give you an overall perspective.

IMG_2544.jpg Optimized-IMG_2659.jpg Optimized-IMG_2663.jpg Optimized-IMG_2664.jpg

thanks

jk12blk

Looks great! how well built is that, 3/8ths or thicker?

Yes, I believe it is 3/16 thick. I did provide a photo looking down on the bumper while I was holding the spindle. You can see the thickness in that photo.

Here are additional stats from KOR website

Rear bumper
CAD design is CNC cut and Bent and then hand welded, ground, and sanded to perfection.
Maximum Ground clearance for better departure angles
Maximum Clearance on sides with wrap around body protection
Utilizes OEM mounting holes.
Integrated 3/4 “ thick d-ring mounts
Integrated 2” Receiver Hitch

Tire Carrier
1-3/4″ base diameter spindle, dual tapered roller bearings
Zerk fitting for grease to ensure a long trouble free life.
Boxed 3/16 “I” beam design for strength and stability
Two Mounting Configurations conventional(vertical) or slant( designed to work with the angle of the Trektop)
5/8” Heim Joint link to attach to the backing plate to allow for the tire carrier to open and close with the latch on the OEM tailgate.
1 1/4 “ hitch to allow for trail rack or a license plate relocation
Allows for the mounting of a 32-40” tire

Skewer
A bolt on addition to the tire carrier that allows you to mount the spare tire in tilted configuration
Include in a anti-tip bracket that stabilizes the tire and keeps it from shifting side to side
Constructed from 3/16 steel
Allows for the mounting of a 32”-40” tire

Backing Plate
A Basic Plate that bolts on were the OEM spare tire bracket is, made of 3/16 Steel that allows you multiple mounting options.
5 -1/2 “ holes in top to mount anything from a antenna to lights.
2 Rotopax Mounts
1 ¼” Receiver hitch that allows for the use of our trail rack, or other hitch products, with a integrated Anti-Rattle set screw.
License Plate can be relocated from OEM location with provided bracket which allows the use of our Trucklite LED third brakelight. Mounts in receiver'

The overall quality and engineering of the bumper is top notch.
I really like the bumper design and how it hugs the corners for a tight fit.

I had narrowed down my rear bumper choices to EVO tire carrier, GenRight tire carrier, Poison Spyder new rear and KOR.
The Poison Spyder was not available at the time and I was tired of waiting, the EVO I thought would make my 35" tire look like a cert, so it really came down to GenRight and KOR for me. The slanted looked won me over coupled with you get two carrier styles with one unit (slant and traditional vertical). I think KOR recently made a third carrier which bolts on and lets you carry the tire horizontally for those who run a tonneau cover over the trunk area. Potentially three carrier styles with one bumper depending upon your mood. Pretty cool.

I'm definitely happy with the purchase - a well built and functional product.
That said, I'm sure I would have been happy with the other bumpers/tire carriers as well.

TheDuff

Can you give a ballpark figure on the cost of the entire setup? I didn't see any prices on their site, could just be my mobile phone:/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
$1600 for the bumper and angled carrier. Rotopax, license plate and reverse lights are extras.

It's only sold at Rebel also.

jk12blk

$1600 for the bumper and angled carrier. Rotopax, license plate and reverse lights are extras.

It's only sold at Rebel also.

Sounds about right. Less expensive if u do not want Skewer. JeepHut also sells. I bought mine through Rebel. Accessories like rotopax and rigid led increase price.

Sent from mobile

jjbolling

Nice write-up. Just picked up KOR's front bumper. KOR makes solid products and cool guys to talk with. For you East coast guys Jeep Hut sells them at a good price.

-Jason

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
"Some of you may be wondering how difficult it is to install the tire.
I'm 6'6" and running 35's, so I was able to lift the spare tire up to the mount without difficulty.
Larger tires will most likely take two people to install (unloading is easy though)."

I'm 5'5". As usual I'm f#$ked!! However, it is an easy to follow write up and the JK looks great.:thumb:

Top Bottom