how to disconnect the transfer from the transmision?

jkpr

i bought a rubicon transfer. try to change by my self but it is kind of tricky. took out the skid plates, cardans. disconnect the cables, the crossmember that hold the transmision sothe transfer went down 4". there are 6 bolts that hold the transfer to the transmision i loose the 2 lower and the one on the driver side. but the 2 on the top and the one on thepassenger side there are no space to loose them..if somebody did it before, i would like to know how. if there is special tool or some trick to loose them.. please i would like to know...i want to install the other transfer......thank you!

mt shawn37

I used a ratchet with a couple extensions and universal to get them out and also cut a wrench in half. Just takes a lot of patients but it will work.

jkpr

thanks to all of you.... but i believe i will loose the supports of the body to separate the body from the chasis and gain more space...thanks a lot!

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I did a t-case swap on my 07 JKU and it is really tight space to get to those top 2 bolts. I used a stubby crescent wrench to get at them. To get enough torque, I put a small ratchet extension, like 2 inches, through the opposite hole end of the stubby. I was able to wrap a few fingers around the end of this in a claw shape and break the nuts free. I also found that a stubby ratchet helped for other tight spaces around the t-caseI did not remove the transmission cross-member, although it sounds like a good idea. Good luck, you can do it just requires patience.

jkpr

thanks to all the recomendations! i finally loose the transfer case. i took out the cross member and the support from the cross member to teh transmision. and that gave 3 " more, so i had 7" of space and use a ratchet but believe me i never see a tied bolt like that. and a 14, is amazing.....i had to hit the ratchet with a hammer to loose the ones on the top and in the passenger the other 3 were just easy. changed the transfer for a rubicon and is incredible how low it goes in 1st.

Top Bottom