OBA Question

suicideking

When I got my rear locker installed, I had an ARB 400c (pretty sure a version of the 400c with outlets for accessories) installed to include OBA (onboard air). Yesterday I was on an easy trail and didn't even use my locker. At the end of the day, I filled two tires and then my compressor overheated. It wasn't even that hot of a day, around 75 degrees most of the day. I do open the hood while I'm using the compressor to fill tires.

I have had it overheat after using the locker all day and filling 3 tires, but not when I didn't even use it all day. So is this a problem with the compressor? Or was the wrong compressor used?

I had someone suggest pouring a bottle of cold water on the head of the compressor to cool it off. So I turned it off (and the engine) poured the water on it, waited a minute. I was surprised this actually worked. I was able to fill the other two tires. I assume this is not a good idea?

More importantly, how do I fix this? If I can't use my rear locker all day in the middle of the summer, and then fill all 4 tires, pretty pointless to have OBA.

Last edited:

naysjp

Do you have a tank hooked up to your system? When I had the York OBA system on my Jeep it worked great THEN I could only air up 1.5 Jeeps and then I could not even air up my 4 31" tires. The clutch on the York got hot from use and then when it cooled it would start working again. Rememdy was finally attaching a tank tucked up under the Jeep. 2lb tank fills with air, tires get filled, clutch engages again and fills the tank. I can resume filling up multiple sets of tires again.

kimer82

I have the twin ARB that you linked.
using it for 40" tires and ARB lockers. It seems to inflate my tires fast enough not to fall a sleep.
Also i do have both 1 gallon and 11 gallon air tank that i hook it up only when i decide to use air tools with.. it's been working well for now but it is sure loud and since its a twin, there is no space on newer jeep to mount in the hood. if you do mount it inside, it is loud and does tend to heat up faster than i thought.

overall happy with its performance for now.

suicideking

I have the twin ARB that you linked.
using it for 40" tires and ARB lockers. It seems to inflate my tires fast enough not to fall a sleep.
Also i do have both 1 gallon and 11 gallon air tank that i hook it up only when i decide to use air tools with.. it's been working well for now but it is sure loud and since its a twin, there is no space on newer jeep to mount in the hood. if you do mount it inside, it is loud and does tend to heat up faster than i thought.

overall happy with its performance for now.

Where is yours mounted? I was thinking of mounting it in the rear storage. Figure it might stay cooler there than under the hood.

kimer82

Where is yours mounted? I was thinking of mounting it in the rear storage. Figure it might stay cooler there than under the hood.

sorry for late reply.

i mounted mine on rear storage.
will post photo.

its hooked right to the lockers in that photo but now i have the 2 way bypas hooked up for quick plug and release for air tanks whenever i need to use them.

suicideking

sorry for late reply.

will post photo.

its hooked right to the lockers in that photo but now i have the 2 way bypas hooked up for quick plug and release for air tanks whenever i need to use them.

Awesome! Very helpful!

I may end up with the same setup, already have the couplers at front and rear bumpers + one line going to my rear locker. I'm still working with my mod shop to see if I can exchange my old compressor and get this one. Will post an update when I get it worked out.

Augichef

sorry for late reply.

will post photo.

I like that setup, hmmm got the ole gears turning.
Augi

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JEEPJK

for a tank spot, I don't think it's too bad is where Kilby puts' theirs - this 2.5 tank is tucked up, and I used a Plasma TV mounting plate (cut to size) as the mount....tough as nuts to get in there, but strong nonetheless.....i have the ORO mounting kit for my York compressor....not worried about it ripping off but we don't have massive boulders to go over....I will get rid of that drain plug and just use a plain hex plug so it's flush.....love that double arb though!!

tankmount.jpg makeitfit.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
for a tank spot, I don't think it's too bad is where Kilby puts' theirs - this 2.5 tank is tucked up, and I used a Plasma TV mounting plate (cut to size) as the mount....tough as nuts to get in there, but strong nonetheless.....i have the ORO mounting kit for my York compressor....not worried about it ripping off but we don't have massive boulders to go over....I will get rid of that drain plug and just use a plain hex plug so it's flush.....love that double arb though!!

View attachment 41962 View attachment 41963

That would not last on my rig.

Top Bottom