Traction control woes!

MeatHead

I just got some new tires the other day, BFG mud terrains 35's. same tire as before but now every time I take a corner at speed the traction control starts kicking in. Any ideas as to why??

kaptkrappy

I just got some new tires the other day, BFG mud terrains 35's. same tire as before but now every time I take a corner at speed the traction control starts kicking in. Any ideas as to why??

I had this problem as well my problem ended up being my steering wheel was off center

Most of would agree.

Traction Control problems stem from the steering wheel not being centered 99 out of 100 times, but why would the steering wheel get off center just by replacing the tires (with the same size and brand) ????

Hmmm....

Philip *AZ*

Banned
A quick guess for me would be that there is now a new treadwear pattern. The steering wheel being off is the same as getting a new alignment after new tires.

Paratroopers Stay Up Longer!

xflstl

Ah ha! Easy fix at home or some thing I have to take in and have done?

Easy fix at home...

Have your wheels facing perfectly forward, or as close to as possible.
Put a piece of colored tape or something on the highside of the steering wheel dead center, so you can see it from outside the Jeep.
Crawl under the Jeep locate the drag link. Roughly in the center of the drag link there is a bracket with two nuts on it you can loosen (15mm wrench I think).
Loosen those two nuts, turn the bracket roughly 1/4 turn one way or the other.
Look at tape on steering wheel, see which way it moved. Again with 1/4 turn increments try to get the tape/wheel dead centered with your tires as strait forward as possible.
Retighten bracket on track bar. Take for test drive. Your problem will either get better or worse.

Repeat process until you get the bracket in the correct spot where you have no dash codes lite up, and your steering wheel is centered while driving in a strait line. This can take repeating the process several times.

Side note: Only turn the bracket in small increments, or you can go from one extreme to the other. It's also not a bad idea to mark the bracket with tape or marker so that you can tell the exact spot it was in when you started, that way you can always set it back to where it was before you messed with it.

there are a bunch of write - up's on the net about this that explain it far better than I can..

Last edited:

MeatHead

The old tires were chopped up super bad and I just wore them out completely before getting new ones. I'm guessing that didn't help.

Top Bottom