JK Mirror Mod - Fix Your Drippy Mirror Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
main.php

The first Jeep JK Wranglers came with mirrors that had a way of collecting water from rain or being washed and trapping it inside up against your doors - not a good thing. Later JK's saw improvements to the mirrors which included a small notch at the bottom of the flange and, while it did help water to drain out, it was still a bit too small and had a tendency to get clogged up with dirt and debris. To fix this, a bigger drain hole is needed and this easy to do mod will help you to make one.

What You Will Need
• Hand Drill
• Small Drill Bit
• Center Punch
• Torx T-40 Bit
• Ratchet

Instructions
1. Roll down your front windows.
main.php

2. Use a center punch to locate the point where you will need to drill a drain hole on your mirror's flange.
main.php

3. Open up your front door and use a Torx T-40 bit to remove the 2 bolts securing your mirror in place.
main.php

4. Carefully remove your mirror from the door (notice the dirty water that was trapped inside of mine). If you have power mirrors, just pull it out far enough to work on, there is no need to disconnect it.
main.php

5. Clean out the backside of the mirror's flange and then carefully drill a hole through it at the point where you marked it off earlier with a center punch.
main.php

6. Clean out the hole of any loose plastic.
main.php

7. Reinstall your mirror and secure it in place with the 2 factory bolts. A Torx T-40 bit will be needed for this job.
main.php

That's all there is to it. You now have mirrors that should drain a lot better. Here are a couple of shots of what they should look like when all is said and done.
main.php

main.php

Napalm90

Great write-up. Might just do that when I get home! :yup:

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Did this mod over the weekend, and the drill bit broke! Ha. I guess the 500 drill bits from Costco was too good to be true. :brows:
Simple mod.

budmanm3

that is why I have not even tired yet. Florida is either sand or swamp. Who knows what might be living in my mirrors. :crazyeyes:

Did mine recently, amazing how much comes out..

thanks for the tip Eddie

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1399073746789.jpg
    1399073746789.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 302

JacquesMWest

Hmm... Is it bad that nothing came out of mine? Lol, I'd like to suggest a slight change/addition. I would suggest to actually do two holes. Where the OP made his hole is sitting right up against the foam gasket, so that means that water is going to seep through the gasket first before it gets out the hole. That's not too big of a problem, but like we obviously can see is that debris is actually coming out. Thicker substances such as mud or other debris won't be able to get past the gasket. That's why I'd like to suggest that another hole is made slightly above it. About 1" should be fine. This hole will not be obstructed by the gasket.

Tl;dr: make a second hole 1" above original hole to allow all the gunk to come out.

Thanks for the guide OP!

Rccrwlr

Hmm... Is it bad that nothing came out of mine? Lol, I'd like to suggest a slight change/addition. I would suggest to actually do two holes. Where the OP made his hole is sitting right up against the foam gasket, so that means that water is going to seep through the gasket first before it gets out the hole. That's not too big of a problem, but like we obviously can see is that debris is actually coming out. Thicker substances such as mud or other debris won't be able to get past the gasket. That's why I'd like to suggest that another hole is made slightly above it. About 1" should be fine. This hole will not be obstructed by the gasket.

Tl;dr: make a second hole 1" above original hole to allow all the gunk to come out.

Thanks for the guide OP!

Welcome to the WAYALIFE!

rctrav

Thanks for the great tip.:thumb: I could not believe how much oxidation the was on mine every time it rained i would have a white streak down my doors. All clean up and holes drilled.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the great tip.:thumb: I could not believe how much oxidation the was on mine every time it rained i would have a white streak down my doors. All clean up and holes drilled.

Holy....

I'm going to do this IMMEDIATELY after work... YIKES. :eek:

I figured I dont really care about the drip... but I do care about THAT!

Top Bottom