T-6 aluminum

Tackerdown

Banned
Is T-6 aluminum a little over kill? Would plane old 6061 be just fine for the JKU wheel spacers?
An inquiring mind wants to know.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Is T-6 aluminum a little over kill? Would plane old 6061 be just fine for the JKU wheel spacers?
An inquiring mind wants to know.

6061 is pretty darn strong depending on thickness. How thick will you be going? I'd have to look up the shear strengths but it's probably sufficient to use plane old 6061.

We build winches that hold 2500 ft of 5/16th cable used to lower wireline tools to depths of 1000ft or more and the entire thing is made of 3/4" 6061(except the sprockets of course). We have never had any issues with fractures, cracks, or breaks of any sort.

One thing to look at is how much metal are you going to have between holes, edges, and under your bolt heads etc.

You might see if you can find out which alloy spidertrax uses.

Tackerdown

Banned
I researched the #'s between the two and the diff was very substantial it has a yield strength of 8,000 psi to 35,000 psi. but to me that doesnt mean squat. lol I was just looking at the 1.5 " poison spider wheel spacers vs the spidertrax. They are both anodized but I was curious if the T-6 was really necessary.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I researched the #'s between the two and the diff was very substantial it has a yield strength of 8,000 psi to 35,000 psi. but to me that doesnt mean squat. lol I was just looking at the 1.5 " poison spider wheel spacers vs the spidertrax. They are both anodized but I was curious if the T-6 was really necessary.

necessary prob not but helpful to have and possibly last longer then others is always a yes.

Tackerdown

Banned
I am trying to way the odds of how long they will last because I would say In a year or so Ill probably get new wheels.20 bucks savings is 20 buck in my pocket:brows:

T-6 refers or the tinsel strength. T-6 is primarily used in aircraft manufacturing foe ribs spars and stringers. 6061 also refers to the grade of aluminum which is also used in aircraft manufacturing. If you are going to use them as wheel spacers yo will run into dis-similar metal corrosion. Depending on what your rims are made of you will need to check them every time you rotate your tires. If you see any pitting or grey powder this is the aluminum reverting back to its original form. Anodized aluminum will hold up better than just paint. Keeping the painted will be your best bet. One last thing, be sure to keep an eye on your bolt holes because they wil be in contact with the steel wheel studs. Hope this helps put.

R/
Will
Aviation Structural Mechanic
US Navy

Tackerdown

Banned
T-6 refers or the tinsel strength. T-6 is primarily used in aircraft manufacturing foe ribs spars and stringers. 6061 also refers to the grade of aluminum which is also used in aircraft manufacturing. If you are going to use them as wheel spacers yo will run into dis-similar metal corrosion. Depending on what your rims are made of you will need to check them every time you rotate your tires. If you see any pitting or grey powder this is the aluminum reverting back to its original form. Anodized aluminum will hold up better than just paint. Keeping the painted will be your best bet. One last thing, be sure to keep an eye on your bolt holes because they wil be in contact with the steel wheel studs. Hope this helps put.

R/
Will
Aviation Structural Mechanic
US Navy
Thank that does help. I still have stock alum wheels so I'd assume that will not be an issue. but the tinsel strength being
over 3 times greater does throw up a flag. These wont be permanent I just want them to last longer than a year.

Toxic

I would personally go with the Spidertrax ones. They are made in the good ol USA, hard to say what the quality would be of the ones that you can get from Poison Spyder. Those are about the only things that they have that aren't made in the US and they even have a disclaimer on them... NOTE: These wheel spacers are imported (not Made in the U.S.A.). We feel it is important to state this, as all of our armor products are made in the U.S.A., right here in our own facilities, so we didn't want anyone to falsely assume that regarding these spacers.

Either one will work just keep the lugs tight. The tinsel strength is designed for specific loads. With them sandwiched between the rim and brake you should not have an issue with cracking. When you rotate your tires check to see if there are rubbing or chaffing.

Prime8

Either one will work just keep the lugs tight. The tinsel strength is designed for specific loads. With them sandwiched between the rim and brake you should not have an issue with cracking. When you rotate your tires check to see if there are rubbing or chaffing.

You mean "Tensile".

"Tinsel" is a Christmas decoration...

Top Bottom