LCAs needed after installing lift?

Hawaii 5-0

My follow up lift question. After installing my OME 2" lift on my JKU Rubicon, it does feel a little flighty on the highway. It's not horrible, but it is noticeable. I know my wife will complain when she drives it. I starting to look at adjustables. Reading through a lot of threads I see that 23" seems to be a good starting point at correcting the caster angle.

I am considering Claytons, Teraflex and JKS adjustable LCAs. Any brand that much better than the other?

jeeeep

Hooked
I run Clayton and really like them, both Clayton and Teraflex use Johnny Joints where JKS uses rubber bushing on both ends. You will need to keep any of them greased I usually do it with every oil change (7000 miles).
They seem to be similar in price.

jedg

Another option is the Rock Krawler LCAs. They are tough and I have no complaints after wheeling them pretty hard.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My follow up lift question. After installing my OME 2" lift on my JKU Rubicon, it does feel a little flighty on the highway. It's not horrible, but it is noticeable. I know my wife will complain when she drives it. I starting to look at adjustables. Reading through a lot of threads I see that 23" seems to be a good starting point at correcting the caster angle.

I am considering Claytons, Teraflex and JKS adjustable LCAs. Any brand that much better than the other?

Of the ones listed, I would go with Clayton as they are built well and come with johnny joints. JKS are nice too but they are expensive.

I run Clayton and really like them, both Clayton and Teraflex use Johnny Joints where JKS uses rubber bushing on both ends. You will need to keep any of them greased I usually do it with every oil change (7000 miles).
They seem to be similar in price.

TeraFlex DOES NOT use johnny joints but rather, a Chinese version of them and ones that tend to blow out with big flex. They are not the same thing. JKS does use clevite bushings on both ends but have arms that rotate so they will not be a limiting factor. If anything, they will provide a nice, squeak free ride. Just trying to keep it straight.

My rock krawler lift just came in yesterday, the control arms are REALLY beefy and the lifetime warranty is a plus too!

jeeeep

Hooked
thanks for clearing up on TeraFlex - I often wondered - When I was researching my suspension I called and asked and they never did call them Johnny Joints

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
TeraFlex DOES NOT use johnny joints but rather, a Chinese version of them and ones that tend to blow out with big flex. They are not the same thing. JKS does use clevite bushings on both ends but have arms that rotate so they will not be a limiting factor. If anything, they will provide a nice, squeak free ride. Just trying to keep it straight.

Why you gotta pick on me? ;)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
He wasn't. He said the blow out with big flex. So clearly he wasn't talking about yours. Now if he had said improper installation, well, that's a whole 'nother story.

:cheesy:

:cheesy: They were fine up until last weekend. :grayno:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why you gotta pick on me? ;)

Seriously?? Is this after our Defense Mine run? :cheesy:

Honestly, I was just trying to be nice to TeraFlex but when we were running their 4" Flex Arm kit on our JK and with their shocks, we were still blowing out bushings all the time. In fact, it got to be enough of a problem that TeraFlex just sent out a whole box rebuild kits for future use on us and on other rigs. In fact, if I recall, I think I gave you a few of them :crazyeyes:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Seriously?? Is this after our Defense Mine run? :cheesy:

Honestly, I was just trying to be nice to TeraFlex but when we were running their 4" Flex Arm kit on our JK and with their shocks, we were still blowing out bushings all the time. In fact, it got to be enough of a problem that TeraFlex just sent out a whole box rebuild kits for future use on us and on other rigs. In fact, if I recall, I think I gave you a few of them :crazyeyes:

Lol yup that is from that run and yeah I have some extras. Once those are gone I will be going currie. :thumb:

daveroberts

I figure if they have a part number for a repair kit that should tell you something.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I figure if they have a part number for a repair kit that should tell you something.

Ain't that the truth.

to tag on to your thread...

Clayton LCA
vs
Metalcloak LCA

Which would you go with?

I have installed and tested Claytons and thought they worked really well. They use factory Clevite bushings at the frame and Johnny Joints at the axle. This is a great combination that has proven itself to work well for most applications. What I don't like about the Metalcloak arms is that they come in a minimum 23-1/16" length and that longer than is needed even for a 3.5" lift and will result in too much positive caster (i.e. increase chance to get vibes). Also, they only have a 1.5" OD and are only 3/16" wall DOM steel. Also, I think a bit more time is needed to determine whether or not their bushings are really all that they're sold off as being. Of course, that's just me.

kRay.JK

Ain't that the truth.

I have installed and tested Claytons and thought they worked really well. They use factory Clevite bushings at the frame and Johnny Joints at the axle. This is a great combination that has proven itself to work well for most applications. What I don't like about the Metalcloak arms is that they come in a minimum 23-1/16" length and that longer than is needed even for a 3.5" lift and will result in too much positive caster (i.e. increase chance to get vibes). Also, they only have a 1.5" OD and are only 3/16" wall DOM steel. Also, I think a bit more time is needed to determine whether or not their bushings are really all that they're sold off as being. Of course, that's just me.

Great info and lines up with my research - thanks as always, Eddie! I think the Johnny Joint hangs at the frame though. I thought that was weird when I first learned about them. I'll probably go with Claytons simply because I like the slider aspect of the square steel.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great info and lines up with my research - thanks as always, Eddie! I think the Johnny Joint hangs at the frame though. I thought that was weird when I first learned about them. I'll probably go with Claytons simply because I like the slider aspect of the square steel.

You are correct on this, all the other makes have their johnny joints or the like at the axle and I just spoke out of habbit.

jeeeep

Hooked
I like the Claytons, they've stood up to my first serious rock adventure learning curve and almost 2 years later still going strong!

Top Bottom