Gears, gears, and more gears

Jeeper714

Upgraded to 315/70/17s on my automatic 11 Sport with 3.73s and just cannot take it anymore. Popping in and out of OD on the highway isn't working for me so I've budgeted for some new gears. Now to decide between 4.88s or 5.13s... This is my daily driver.... We only have mud here so the only rocks I climb are pebbles. Opinions?

Question? Did you have you computer reprogrammed for the bigger tires? There are a couple of threads which address this and how reprogramming changes the shift points. Also might check project JK to see if there is information on this issue.

R/
Will

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
from what everyone has told me about my '11 sport auto is do the 4.56 gears you will get more of a stock feel with them. 5.13 R&P will be to small in the D30 and more likely to break.

edit - so do 4.56 or 4.88

Atch

from what everyone has told me about my '11 sport auto is do the 4.56 gears you will get more of a stock feel with them. 5.13 R&P will be to small in the D30 and more likely to break.

According to your profile you have 32's?? What gears so you currently have?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
According to your profile you have 32's?? What gears so you currently have?

i still have the stock 3.73's and yes i have 32's. when i originally asked the question it was for future reference. i have a list that keep growing and growing day by day :rolleyes2:

Atch

i still have the stock 3.73's and yes i have 32's. when i originally asked the question it was for future reference. i have a list that keep growing and growing day by day :rolleyes2:

I'd leave it as is right now, no need to regear till you get larger tires. What size tires are you going to get in the future?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'd leave it as is right now, no need to regear till you get larger tires. What size tires are you going to get in the future?

oh yea im not regearing now once i procaled everything felt ten times better. i want to run 35's and after watching more videos of eddie and everyone on the rubicon last night i even debated 37's for half a sec lol

edit - my regear and larger tires are prob a year or so away from happening

Jeeper714

Thanks everyone. I was leaning towards 4.88s bc of all the highway driving I do. I'm pretty sure I'm going cross eyed researching everything.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
no prob like eddie said just stay away from the 5.13 cause of the small ring and pinion. the 4.88 are prob your best bet. i know there is a chart as well if your stuck in the one noobie write up eddie did with all the gear ratios and tire sizes at 70mph if you havent looked at that yet.

Tcdawg

cozdude said:

How many 5.13 gear sets have you seen break?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen a few 5.13's in a Dana 30 break over the past 6 years and have personally broken a 5.38 in a 44 which is just as small. I wouldn't say that you are for sure to break it but, if you play hard, it's definitely a potential break that can be prevented.

Rivertoys

In a D30, are you much more likely to twist/break an axle shaft with 5:13, or is it just the small pinion that is the main concern?

Top Bottom