Skid Plates etc

SDG

Caught the Bug
Wanted to get some thoughts on skid plate setups from you guys. Which designs do you like and which ones are not so great?

I have been checking around and seen some pretty cool setups, but I am wanting to build some myself. Not because the ones that are out there are cost prohibitive, but more because I think it would be a fun project. I really enjoy metal working and have quite a bit of experience with it, and am thinking I want to make my own.

My major question is how thick are most of the skids out there? 3/16, 1/8? etc?

I have a bunch of 3/16 and 1/8" laying around from past projects and am not quite sure which would be the best. The 3/16 is about 7.7 pounds per square foot, and the 1/8" is 5.1 lbs, so for 15 to 20 square foot worth of skids it would be ~100+lbs for 1/8" or 120+lbs for the 3/16" so not a huge difference.

Here are a couple pics of some past projects I have done:

Upright smoker double walled and insulated.
DSC_4124-2.jpg

before it was all welded together
IMAG0224.jpg

The 2" frame it all started with
DSC_3724.JPG

mobile welding bench lol...
photo%25283%2529.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What year your Jeep is and whether or not you have an auto or manual would determine what you need. All JK's need something to protect the oil pan as there is nothing there. If you have a newer auto, a skid plate for the pan and cooler line is needed as well. Aside from that, the JK's already come with armor that'll get beat up but has proven itself to work well. I would not waste any time or money replacing them. After 6+ years of beating on mine, the factory skids holding up just fine.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wanted to get some thoughts on skid plate setups from you guys. Which designs do you like and which ones are not so great?

I have been checking around and seen some pretty cool setups, but I am wanting to build some myself. Not because the ones that are out there are cost prohibitive, but more because I think it would be a fun project. I really enjoy metal working and have quite a bit of experience with it, and am thinking I want to make my own.

My major question is how thick are most of the skids out there? 3/16, 1/8? etc?

I have a bunch of 3/16 and 1/8" laying around from past projects and am not quite sure which would be the best. The 3/16 is about 7.7 pounds per square foot, and the 1/8" is 5.1 lbs, so for 15 to 20 square foot worth of skids it would be ~100+lbs for 1/8" or 120+lbs for the 3/16" so not a huge difference.

Here are a couple pics of some past projects I have done:

What year your Jeep is and whether or not you have an auto or manual would determine what you need. All JK's need something to protect the oil pan as there is nothing there. If you have a newer auto, a skid plate for the pan and cooler line is needed as well. Aside from that, the JK's already come with armor that'll get beat up but has proven itself to work well. I would not waste any time or money replacing them. After 6+ years of beating on mine, the factory skids holding up just fine.

Eddie beat me to this. i was going to say Eddie would recommend that the factory skids are great as he beat them up for a long time with Moby and still has them. only need to cover the other few things as mentioned above that are not done by the factory.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the input guys.

My jeep is a 13 JKUR auto. So sounds like oil pan is a def yes. What about the evap canister? Seems quite a few people have knocked them off. Obviously not as big a deal as tearing up the oil pan but something to consider none the less?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input guys.

My jeep is a 13 JKUR auto. So sounds like oil pan is a def yes. What about the evap canister? Seems quite a few people have knocked them off. Obviously not as big a deal as tearing up the oil pan but something to consider none the less?

Your 13 already has an evap skid

Napalm90

LOL!! Honestly, I don't know how people are bashing their evaps like that.

I was gonna say, the evap is really in there, you have to get your self really high center on a thin rock to hit it.... Guess mtg has a shitty spoter if that's what he did to his

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moochie

Mine's a 2008 and so far so good. I haven't touched it yet. Knock on wood.

Last edited:

TrailBear

(null)I wasn't saying that, I know you know your stuff! I was just giving an example of how I have seen them get damaged, it was really stupid a stick popped up off the trail and speared it and ripped it right off.

If you don't push the limits how do you find them??

MTG

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Honestly, I don't know how people are bashing their evaps like that.

I was gonna say, the evap is really in there, you have to get your self really high center on a thin rock to hit it.... Guess mtg has a shitty spoter if that's what he did to his

What can I say? The speed bumps are big here. :idontknow:

Not everyone is a pro. :naw:

SDG

Caught the Bug
HAHAHAHA!!!!

Gotta get home quick when they have the 5 for 5 going on!

I will take a look again tomorrow when I have it jacked up replacing the exhaust.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
(null)I wasn't saying that, I know you know your stuff! I was just giving an example of how I have seen them get damaged, it was really stupid a stick popped up off the trail and speared it and ripped it right off.

LOL!! It's all good. On my phone, I just didn't realize that your sig pops up like a post and so I responded to it.

What can I say? The speed bumps are big here. :idontknow:

Not everyone is a pro. :naw:

LOL!! Actually, it just looks like I need to be playing on some of the speed bumps in your neck of the woods :yup:

I will take a look again tomorrow when I have it jacked up replacing the exhaust.

With all that, you'd be better served relocating your EVAP than armoring it up. But, that's just me.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Yea was thinking that myself. I will poke take a look around for a good spot when I am down there poking around tonight.

Probably won't want to relocate till I decide on a lift.

Is there a significant diff in mounting location between evo bolt on coilover rear and the lever system or is the mounting to the frame basically the same?

TrailBear

LOL!! It's all good. On my phone, I just didn't realize that your sig pops up like a post and so I responded to it.

LOL!! Actually, it just looks like I need to be playing on some of the speed bumps in your neck of the woods :yup:

With all that, you'd be better served relocating your EVAP than armoring it up. But, that's just me.

I thought it might be that:) I've been confused by it before till I realized it :) I don't want to come across as one of those guys lol
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1367630510.524182.jpg

Top Bottom