Aussie Locker Question.

Jeepmed

I've had Aussie lockers in the past and they have worked great. Front Axle only. I have a question about the JK. I have a Dana 30 with the stock 3:21 Gears. Can I put an Aussie in now and use that same locker when I regear with 4:88s?

TrailReady

Caught the Bug
No, you will need a new carrier if you upgrade your gears.

Eddie, does this apply to all lockers? I plan to put an ARB in my stock rear axle and later add one up front when I make the jump to a PR44. My goal was to add a rear locker in the next 6 months or so, but I have no time frame on when I will be upgrading the front end. My question is, I planned to wait to regear until I bought the PR44 so I could avoid doing it twice. Will the regear later, require me to replace the ARB locker in the rear axle?

NAUJK

I guess since this thread is here I also have an Aussie Locker question.

What is your opinion of putting one in an open front diff? I would love to get a deal on someones used D44 with E Locker but I can never find one with a good price and not couple thousand miles away... So I was thinking of popping one of these up front to help with wheeling till Some time in the future upgrading axles and gears.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, does this apply to all lockers? I plan to put an ARB in my stock rear axle and later add one up front when I make the jump to a PR44. My goal was to add a rear locker in the next 6 months or so, but I have no time frame on when I will be upgrading the front end. My question is, I planned to wait to regear until I bought the PR44 so I could avoid doing it twice. Will the regear later, require me to replace the ARB locker in the rear axle?

An Aussie Locker gets installed into an open carrier. An ARB will replace your carrier :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess since this thread is here I also have an Aussie Locker question.

What is your opinion of putting one in an open front diff? I would love to get a deal on someones used D44 with E Locker but I can never find one with a good price and not couple thousand miles away... So I was thinking of popping one of these up front to help with wheeling till Some time in the future upgrading axles and gears.

I'd be okay with it so long as you didn't see to much snow and ice. You guys do see some of that up in Flagstaff don't you? I might recommend something more like a Truetrac instead.

NAUJK

I'd be okay with it so long as you didn't see to much snow and ice. You guys do see some of that up in Flagstaff don't you? I might recommend something more like a Truetrac instead.

Yeah I was reading that people dont suggest them in snow and icy conditions... which is why I was skeptical; and yes we do get to see those conditions a lot in the winter.

Well alright, Ill keep lookin aroudn! Thanks Eddie! :beer:

1yellowjk

I had no problems with my Aussie in my JKU, but we don't see snow down here, in wet conditions and turning I would sometimes chirp; but nothing bad. For the money I think they are great, but that depends on if your lucky enough to live in the south. :)

Although I will be coverting to an e-locker on this JK.

Jeepmed

I had no problems with my Aussie in my JKU, but we don't see snow down here, in wet conditions and turning I would sometimes chirp; but nothing bad. For the money I think they are great, but that depends on if your lucky enough to live in the south. :)

Although I will be coverting to an e-locker on this JK.

True not alot of snow and ice here.
Eddie why is a Truetrac better?

Jeepmed

It's a limited slip and will do better in snow/ice

Thanks. I have limited slip in the rear axle, but want to re
gear.So Ill wait and get gears and selectable lockers at the same time. Also Ill chromolly the D 30. Jeep is a daily driver so I only see 35's in the near future.

Top Bottom