When you wheel......

RamP

This is a vague question that depends a lot on where you are. What gear do you spend most of the time in 4 high or 4 low? I realize it depends on the terrain, but do you spend time shifting between the two? And will you cruise around in 4th gear while in 4 low?
Thanks for putting up with my noob question.

ssh6314

I honestly stay in 2 wheel when I can, driving between obstacles etc, and shift to 4 hi when needed on the fly. I only use 4 lo for crawling, climbing, extreme stuff etc.

Sent from my EVO-3d using WAYALIFE app.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is a vague question that depends a lot on where you are. What gear do you spend most of the time in 4 high or 4 low? I realize it depends on the terrain, but do you spend time shifting between the two? And will you cruise around in 4th gear while in 4 low?

Depends on the trail and terrain. If I know I'll be playing on a lot of rocks, I just leave it in 4LO.

jkmohican

Leaving it in 4 Low will actually be the best option, because being in 4 low, the transmission doesn't get nearly as hot during the trail run, which is especially important if you don't have a tranny cooler. I typically leave in low if I'm going from obstacle to obstacle but I put it in high when I know I'm going through stuff that is way to flat and easy for 4 low.

White_JKU

I have a 2012 auto... so when Im on the trails (the part requiring 4 wheel drive) I am normally in 4 low 2nd gear or 3rd gear as I can bump shift up and down. I never use 4 low in 1st gear as it is just too low for what I do here in central GA

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
When I go I leave it in 4lo as soon as I hit the trail. There is a spot or two when its flat where I could bump it up but I just don't see the point. I will not go over 15mph in these flat spots just to be safe. I like to take my time and enjoy the day

Sent from my iPhone

tkkim

I switched to 4lo, when i do really steep down hill with 1 gear and hill descent control.

kRay.JK

Typically always stay in 4low. Gen gears 2-4. Gear 1 for rock gardens. It's very hilly/treey/rocky in east TN though. When i need to cross a river or get through some mud I jump up to 4high, gear 1.

jkrossi

I do the same thing as overlander. I don't put it in 4x till I need it. 4high kinda sucks and is really only good for faster open trail type terrain. I have the 07 jku 4:10 gearing and 35" tires and just my opinion but with the set up I have 4high is gutless but is ok on flatland

I stay in 2wd as long as I can.

i do the same thing, i try to only use 4wd when i absolutely need it, but i will shift 4hi/4lo before i get into trouble for sure. 2wd will get you pretty far if you pick good lines and only switch when you see an obstacle ahead that you know you will need to switch 4hi/4lo

MTG

Caught the Bug
I always assumed it was easier on the jeep to wheel in 4 wheel drive so I put it in 4 low on the trail unless I am going to be driving very fast. Plus with the e-disco that is the only way to disconnect the sway bar on the rubi's, making for a much smoother ride. Admittedly I often forget to put it in 4 lo and lock my lockers until someone says "Are you locked?" :cheesy: 4 lo and 1st gear making descending much easier. :thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I always assumed it was easier on the jeep to wheel in 4 wheel drive so I put it in 4 low on the trail unless I am going to be driving very fast. Plus with the e-disco that is the only way to disconnect the sway bar on the rubi's, making for a much smoother ride. Admittedly I often forget to put it in 4 lo and lock my lockers until someone says "Are you locked?" :cheesy: 4 lo and 1st gear making descending much easier. :thumb:

"Should I take it out of 4 low now?"

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

metaldemon

I use 4 hi on the Pine Barrens, but I turn off the ESP completely by holding the button for 7 seconds.
I did watch a guy with a lift and 35"s get stuck, because he didn't know about holding the button. As soon as he got sideways the computer shut the throttle. Instant stuck.

I use 4 hi on the Pine Barrens, but I turn off the ESP completely by holding the button for 7 seconds.
I did watch a guy with a lift and 35"s get stuck, because he didn't know about holding the button. As soon as he got sideways the computer shut the throttle. Instant stuck.

What is the ESP button and function of enabling it and disabling it? :thinking:

Devallee

What is the ESP button and function of enabling it and disabling it? :thinking:

I feel like most people with any kind of lift permanently disable it. I personally have disabled it from day one since I put my lift on. It's just a pain to have to turn on and off all the time so I leave it off :thumb:

groovebus

I run 4Hi going up the mountains and on flat surfaces with the ESC off (at least partially off) I usually don't hit over 30mph. I always use 4Lo going down the mountain even if it is an easy run, just so my leg doesn't fall off. Usually in 1st and 2nd hear. (My leg gets tired riding the brake in 4Hi)

In snow and sand I run 4Hi with the ESC full on.

Top Bottom