GoPro Camera Buying Questions...

Ok so I'm looking at buying a GoPro Camera for wheeling trips. There are so many options when I look at them and I don't know anything about them. I'm not bias to other camera options if anyone knows of a better idea. Please Help!! I'm looking to buy soon so we have it for next weeks Miller Jeep Trail Run with our WAYALIFE Family. Also what mounting options would be recommended to use to mount on my JKU. I do have a Rock Hard Front Harness Bar too, would the roll bar mount be an option for this? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Everyone,
Steven

Last edited:

Atch

I recently bought the go pro hero 3 (silver addition) I think this is probably the best option for most guys. It's the middle of the road version. I mount mine to the windshield using the suction cup mount, works great, it'll also stick to the sides of jeeps it you want a different angle.

Atch

Oh and I forgot to mention that you need to make sure to turn off the wifi if you use that option. It'll eat up your battery in a HURRY!! I'd also suggest fully charging and letting it die a couple of times before your trip so you can get the most out of your battery. The first time I used my go pro I left wifi on and didn't cycle the battery a couple of times and I was able to get about 15min of video. Since then I get around 1.5-2hrs of video per battery. I bought an external charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter and came with 2 spare batteries, highly recommended for when you're out on the trail.

Beyrgut

Get the Motosport GP2 or GP3 setup, a miscellaneous mount kit, Mem card, spare battery and you are all set. The Moto kit should provide the suction mounts and the Misc kit will give the pole/post type mounts along with enough other pieces to mount them anywhere on the jeep. My only real issue with GP is the paint shaker video when mountain biking, it really does require a stable mount point. I haven't tested it yet but I think the shakiness is the camera bouncing around inside the cage(based on the clacking sounds), i am going to stuff in some kind of filler to try and prevent it.

Skirmish

I bought a version 2 before the 3 came out so I had to buy the wifi backpack and remote separate. The remote is very handy when you mount the camera outside the cab. You can use a phone or tablet app but their remote can be strapped to your wrist making it much more convenient to use.

That said, if you but the remote separate it is $79. Since the black is $100 more than the silver and is a better camera I would say the extra cost is well worth it for Jeep videos.

As far as mounting, it is hard to get a perspective of what is happening in first person views. When it is mounted on the front bumper you just see terrain moving up and down. You really need to include the Jeep in the shot to get the drama. Suction cup to the side is great especially if you stack the mount arms to get some distance and angle it back to catch the front. On the cowl works, I've got flat sticky mounts under the tub next to the frame rail, under the back of my front fender (it's aluminum, that helps) but usually someone holding it that isn't in the Jeep is best.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have the hero 3 silver and love it! the hero 3 silver and black editions are the best due to the wifi and memory capacity. the white is ehhh. go silver or black.

Skid_Kid

Are you active duty or retired? AAFES has the Hero 3 Black, no tax, free shipping and you can also get the 4 yr service plan with it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tcdawg

I bought a version 2 before the 3 came out so I had to buy the wifi backpack and remote separate. The remote is very handy when you mount the camera outside the cab. You can use a phone or tablet app but their remote can be strapped to your wrist making it much more convenient to use.

That said, if you but the remote separate it is $79. Since the black is $100 more than the silver and is a better camera I would say the extra cost is well worth it for Jeep videos.

You can download GoPro's free app. It has a preview pane and remote start/stop feature. A very nice app.

I bought the Hero3 silver and just use the app for remote use.

Also. If you have an older model with the LCD back pack...the LCD will fit the new Hero3 models!

HoosierWolf

I'm looking at a GoPro purchase as well. What is the difference between the GP3 Silver and the GP3 Black?

I will be using mine for SCUBA diving so waterproof depth is a major concern for me but I think the cases are both water proof to around 180 ft.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm looking at a GoPro purchase as well. What is the difference between the GP3 Silver and the GP3 Black?

I will be using mine for SCUBA diving so waterproof depth is a major concern for me but I think the cases are both water proof to around 180 ft.

The big difference is the memory. The black can hold a 64mb micro sd card and the silver holds a max 48mb micro sd card. Other than that they are almost identical. Just make sure when you get one you get the batterie backpack to make the camera last for almost the whole day of wheeling.

Sent from my iPhone

Atch

The big difference is the memory. The black can hold a 64mb micro sd card and the silver holds a max 48mb micro sd card. Other than that they are almost identical. Just make sure when you get one you get the batterie backpack to make the camera last for almost the whole day of wheeling.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm sorry but your info is wrong. They both hold up to 64mb cards.

Here is the info chart to compare all three cameras

http://gopro.com/product-comparison-hero3-cameras

mrmet1983

i have a go pro white and unless you plan on making profssional quality videos the white will be all you need and its only 190 on amazon trust me the regular jeeper who just wants some good footage has no need for the silver or black go with white if ur not looking to spend a bunch of make prof videos

jbaskin28

I bought a hero 3 silver. Added the battery pack, nvg helmet mount, and the large and small mounts for roll bars and the like. I use the wifi option just to make sure I have the angle/view I want, the turn that option off.

Here's a still from a video I took mounted on a humvee:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370096024.482059.jpg

I only had a week home with the jeep and didn't get a chance to use it before I had to leave for my deployment.

Trevelin

Sony has something similar called the Action Cam with a bunch of optional accessories. The video looks amazing.

Rottenbelly

All 3 of the new go pros also have different megapixel rates.
The black has 12 mp and can take 30 fps pictures.
The silver is 11 mp and can take 10 fPs picture.
Wouldn't even consider the white go pro. It still has the original hero technology except for the wi capabilities.

I've been having lots of issues with the wifi and being able to control them with my phone. Having better luck with the hero 2 so far.

Skirmish

Did a bunch of research yesterday as I'm considering a second GoPro. Most reviews agreed that the white is similar to the original hero, the silver is comparable to the 2 with some upgrades and the black is amazing but expensive.

I do think the silver is plenty for most people and is what I am strongly considering getting but mostly because I already have a wifi remote. If I didn't I still think it is well worth the extra hundred for the black since it would be only $20 more than the silver plus a remote. One great feature of the black is you can shoot a still pic while shooting video. The rest is mostly for clear slow motion that looks stunning but most of my video is crawling anyway.

FYI, Best Buy is giving a free 16g micro SD card with a camera. Not sure if its all models but definitely silver.

Top Bottom