king coilover length

kimer82

ok here is a short question before i order this coilover.

i am looking at 2.5 with res and am running 40" tires with 6" lift. (for front )

6" seems a bit tall so i am wanting to go about 5" lift with coilovers.. was about to order 14" coilovers but the sales rep says its way too long and i need 12" coilovers..

is there anyone running 12 or 14" king coilovers with 5" lift? and which would be the best length to get?

GCM 2

ok here is a short question before i order this coilover.

i am looking at 2.5 with res and am running 40" tires with 6" lift. (for front )

6" seems a bit tall so i am wanting to go about 5" lift with coilovers.. was about to order 14" coilovers but the sales rep says its way too long and i need 12" coilovers..

is there anyone running 12 or 14" king coilovers with 5" lift? and which would be the best length to get?

Listen to the rep, he knows what he's talking about. The 14" coilovers at their lowest ride height will be at, or possibly over 6". Just about everyone running an EVO Double Throw Down is on 12" coilovers. It's what I run and my ride height is about the equivalent of 4" of traditional coil spring lift, and I could easily adjust up to the 5" mark if needed. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your final ride height will really depend on what coil over brackets you install. Some kits will have a much higher minimum ride heights and kits like what EVO makes will allow you to stay nice a low as GCM 2 just said. Be sure to let your rep know what you are running as that'll help them out.

For the record, we are running 40" tires with EVO double throw downs, 12" coil overs and only about 4.5" of lift.

munstie

Your final ride height will really depend on what coil over brackets you install. Some kits will have a much higher minimum ride heights and kits like what EVO makes will allow you to stay nice a low as GCM 2 just said. Be sure to let your rep know what you are running as that'll help them out.

For the record, we are running 40" tires with EVO double throw downs, 12" coil overs and only about 4.5" of lift.

How much trimming is involved with pinch seams on your setup Eddie.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

GCM 2

Eddie thanks for adding the bit about the bracket set up! I always take for granted people are just going with EVO stuff.

kimer82, if you are running another mfg's set up for coilovers, running the 14" Kings will have you sitting insanely high.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much trimming is involved with pinch seams on your setup Eddie.

I had to trim quite a bit on the fronts of the rear fender well and a bit on the rear too. At a hard full flex, I still rub the top a bit but, not enough to concern me. The low stance is worth it.

I always take for granted people are just going with EVO stuff.

Believe me, I do to. I had almost posted up before just noticing that the OP made no mention of what kit he was going to run. Seems to me that we've had a discussion like this before - maybe about a year ago with some kid who had a 2-door, a kit from another manufacturer and an insanely tall lift which provided no flex. If I recall, the discussion ended with the manufacturer having to admit their kit only offered 9" of vertical travel even though they were using 14" King coil overs.

silverbackjk

I had to trim quite a bit on the fronts of the rear fender well and a bit on the rear too. At a hard full flex, I still rub the top a bit but, not enough to concern me. The low stance is worth it.

Believe me, I do to. I had almost posted up before just noticing that the OP made no mention of what kit he was going to run. Seems to me that we've had a discussion like this before - maybe about a year ago with some kid who had a 2-door, a kit from another manufacturer and an insanely tall lift which provided no flex. If I recall, the discussion ended with the manufacturer having to admit their kit only offered 9" of vertical travel even though they were using 14" King coil overs.

Was that over on JKF if so i remember that discussion.

kimer82

I had the mounting bracket and compression calculated and 14 seems to be right but than o might be way off so thought i'd ask fellow king coilover users on what they are running.
so it is cool to run 12" coilovers and i can adjust it to just bit over 4"1/2? thats where i want to sit my jeep.

by the sounds of it 12" is just less headache so i will be ordering 12" kings today. For the rear i have not decided yet.. leaning with evolever and 4 link.... but thats when my family dont find about it.

thanks for the help guys!

Edit: and 3" bump stop would work with 4 1/2 - 5" lift?

Last edited:

GCM 2

.....Seems to me that we've had a discussion like this before - maybe about a year ago with some kid who had a 2-door, a kit from another manufacturer and an insanely tall lift which provided no flex. If I recall, the discussion ended with the manufacturer having to admit their kit only offered 9" of vertical travel even though they were using 14" King coil overs.

yes indeed! That thread caused some major upset for nonbelievers. Facts are facts! At least kimer82 is doing some fact checking and that is what it's about. Hope he post some shots of his build :thumb:

kimer82

yes indeed! That thread caused some major upset for nonbelievers. Facts are facts! At least kimer82 is doing some fact checking and that is what it's about. Hope he post some shots of his build :thumb:

yea many of the many reps been telling me to go with 14" and i have been asking what length of mounting bracket was to begin with.. so i could do some math and know if i have any clearance when it is fully compressed..
yet, no answer of the length on mounting bracket..
since eddie is using 12" on 4 1/2 lift and still manages to go everywhere that i cant... :rock:
i will just be going with12" kings.
sometimes go big or go home works but in this case i will follow my leaders in the jeep world that have been doing it for years! :thumb:

xflstl

Not sure who I talked to at EVO when I called to order my DTD setup (thinking it was Jake), I talked the person threw my current setup as was steered twords the 14" co's... The install should be happening on them in the next week or two. After reading this thread it has raised a slight doubt in my head, that maybe 12" co's would have been better for me too. Guess I will find out soon enough!!!

kimer82

yea first few guys were steering me into 14" co's but from rethinking.. 12" would be just fine for me.
I have ordered front 12" co's first.. since i am in middle of making decision about changing rear to prorock60 i will wait on the rear CO for now.
let me know how things work out with 14" and what lift are you thinking of running?
I am going for 4 1/2" - 5" lift height.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unless I missed it, you still haven't said what brackets you plan on running up front. Even with 12" coil overs, you could still end up way high at the minimum lift height depending on what you go with.

kimer82

Unless I missed it, you still haven't said what brackets you plan on running up front. Even with 12" coil overs, you could still end up way high at the minimum lift height depending on what you go with.

oh its an evo weld on bracket !

xflstl

yea first few guys were steering me into 14" co's but from rethinking.. 12" would be just fine for me.
I have ordered front 12" co's first.. since i am in middle of making decision about changing rear to prorock60 i will wait on the rear CO for now.
let me know how things work out with 14" and what lift are you thinking of running?
I am going for 4 1/2" - 5" lift height.

I plan on running the lift as low as possible without hindering flex.....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
oh its an evo weld on bracket !

Ah, if that's the case, I would definitely get the 12" coil overs. The weld on bracket design will still give you 14" of vertical travel and you will have the option of adding bypass shocks in the future. With 14" coil overs, you will not be able to do this.

JArnold

Eddie, what kind of work is required with the weld on kit? Cutting of stock mounts? I have been looking at the 12" bolt on kit but if there's another 12" kit that will allow me to achieve 14" of travel, that's the route I want to go

Top Bottom