JK rear "no bumper" 3rd brake light option

GCM 2

Like more and more people lately, I run the "Zero Rear Bumper" look on my JK. I have been doing this for about 3 1/2 years now and have loved it since day 1. Along with the no rear bumper theme, I also choose to not run a rear tailgate or tire carrier, my spare tire is strapped down in the cargo area. With this minimalist approach to setting up a rig, I have some advantages (less weight, great rear views) and some disadvantages (open cabin, even with top and doors sealed). I live in Arizona, so the pre-runner style, open rear thing is not really a problem. Since my Jeep is a daily driver, what has been a long time problem for me is not having maximum brake lights for everyone else to see in traffic. So I finally found the time to do a $20 mod that gives me some safety margin back.

What you will need:
- 4 x Red LED 3/4 marker lights (any auto parts store)
- 1 X Plastic wire loom, 3 feet
- Drill
- Uni-bit or 3/4" drill bit
- 16ga wire
- wire connectors
- electrical tape

Here are the 3/4 red LED marker lights and wire loom

The area to be used is the rear frame cross member. You will be utilizing the holes that the trailer hitch would occupy

Next drill out the four existing holes in the crossmember to accommodate the LED marker lights

Once all the holes are drilled, insert the lights and prepare to strip the two wire ends of each light (one is a ground, the other is for power)

Using the existing factory third brake light wiring harness, I cut the factory connector off and then ran the wiring beneath the carpeting and down through the area where the factory jack is located.

I also used the factory body drain plugs located beneath the jack as the location to pass the factory third brake light wiring through to the underside of the jeep.

Simply use a razor knife to cut a small + or X in the rubber to maintain a snug fit and some waterproofness to the drain plug

Now start tying in all the pigtails of the lights together. I choose to combine the two ground wires and the two power wires of the lights on the right together and then repeated the tying in of the two lights on the left the same way. Once each separated pair of ground wires and power wires from both left and right side had been tied together using the 16ga wire connectors, I then connected the right side and left side 3/4" marker light's power wire to the Jeep's factory third brake light harness power wire. I then connected the right and left 3/4'' marker light's ground wire to the factory third brake light wire harness ground wire.

when everything is wired up, I did a brake light check by having someone step on the brake pedal for me. Once everything was working properly, I pulled the excess wire up through the slit in the drain plug and stowed the extra factory third brake light harness in the jack stowage area. To complete the project I used the plastic wire loom to wrap the wires and connectors to make it all look neat and clean with nothing hanging below the frame line.

I will get some night shots once it gets dark.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Excellent! A simple and effective way to replace some of the safety of the third brake light. Lord knows we need it here in AZ with our occasional "Haboobs".:yup:

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I believe this is the first write-up I've seen you do. Well done! :clap2:

GCM 2

I believe this is the first write-up I've seen you do. Well done! :clap2:

Yep, usually I just like turning wrenches and getting it done to so I go get back out to driving my rig. I keep wanting to do the write for really what is the opposite of the breather tube extension (axles, transmission, transfer case), sounds counter intuitive, but it's something I have had to do to all my race cars and if you were paying attention to us wrenching on EVO1 and EVOTJ at King of the Hammers, you would have seen us prepping vent lines going down (yes towards the ground) and not extending upwards. This is for the event of a flop or rollover, something I'm familiar with :icon_crazy:

Edit: I had a couple of write ups on JKF back in the day ;)

Top Bottom