Road Wandering Head Scratcher

Irish Bullfrog

I need help and I will try to make it quick. I search the topic and could not find an answer so help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2012 JKU with a 4" Skyjacker Lift with LCA's... Most of the time, it is pretty stable but still feels "flighty." Add a crosswind an a 75 mph highway and it becomes a white knuckle experience. I have loosened on level ground, retorqued, add a dual SS, rotated the tires, etc... Does anyone have an answer that can point me in the right direction instead of me just throwing money at it?

jeeeep

Hooked
Check to see if your drag link and track bar are parallel, is your alignment dead on? find the article for front end alignment in the articles section, the image will also show how parallel the drag link and track bar should be. did you get the dropped pitman arm with the lift?

Last edited:

Irish Bullfrog

My alignment is damn close to perfect. I did not get the drop pitman arm so that may be next. I keep scratching my head because my buddy has an '11 with stock LCA'S with a 4.5 lift on 37's and his drives like a tank!!! Thanks for the reply...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Flightiness is typically a problem with caster or a lack thereof. If you have adjustable control arms, you should try adding a bit more positive caster so that you are at least sitting at factory which is +4°. A loose track bar/worn out bushing can cause this sensation too.

Having said all that, you did mention that you have a Skyjacker kit and, if memory serves me right, it comes with a dropped pitman arm. If this is true for you, I would venture to guess that it is loose - a common problem as the manufacturer of them have had a lot of them made with sloppy fitting splines. You should not be able to move this at all and, if you can, I would recommend that you reinstall your factory pitman arm, remove your track bar relocation bracket and replace the whole thing with something like an EVO draglink flip/track bar relocation kit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My alignment is damn close to perfect.

What is your caster set at?

I did not get the drop pitman arm so that may be next.

Well scratch what I said above and DO NOT install one of these.

I keep scratching my head because my buddy has an '11 with stock LCA'S with a 4.5 lift on 37's and his drives like a tank!!! Thanks for the reply...

Can you list all that you have installed and whether or not they are adjustable.

Irish Bullfrog

A full skyjacker 4" with Skyjacker LCA'S. New BFG KO's 315/75's. pro Comp Shocks (which are rough as hell) and a Rough Country dual SS setup... Nothing is adjustable... But it sounds like I might need to head there first.

And my caster is 4.5..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A full skyjacker 4" with Skyjacker LCA'S. New BFG KO's 315/75's. pro Comp Shocks (which are rough as hell) and a Rough Country dual SS setup... Nothing is adjustable... But it sounds like I might need to head there first.

And my caster is 4.5..

Well, if you're sure your caster is set at 4.5°, that won't be the source of your problem. Did you install a front track bar relocation bracket with your kit? Sorry, I thought I did but don't think I know what all comes in a full SJ kit anymore.

Irish Bullfrog

No worries and I appreciate your help. Yes, it did have front and rear track bar relocation brackets... My rear axle is off centered by 3/4" but I don't think that is hurting me... Also, all 4 tires are at 28 psi..

TheDuff

Should have a drag link flip at this lift height. Does the drag link look parallel to the track bar?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it did have front track bar relocation brackets...

Well that's most likely your problem right there - you SHOULD NOT run a front track bar relocation bracket without also running a dropped pitman arm or drag link flip at the same time. Failure to do this will result in steering geometry that is off and one that will give you poor handling. I would remove it immediately.

Top Bottom