Cb kit

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I ran the cooltech gate mount kit. Very complete kit and it worked great. The swr meter is necessary for tuning but you might want to see if you can borrow one. Unless you are swapping out cb's a lot, it's one of those things that collects dust after you use it the first time.

Edit: I also ran an external speaker. Definitely worth it.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I ran the cooltech gate mount kit. Very complete kit and it worked great. The swr meter is necessary for tuning but you might want to see if you can borrow one. Unless you are swapping out cb's a lot, it's one of those things that collects dust after you use it the first time.

Edit: I also ran an external speaker. Definitely worth it.

Ditto. :thumb:

Package:
http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_CB_AllinOne_kit.shtml

Just the mount:

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_gatemount.shtml

silverbackjk

I had not clicked on the links. Yeah that looks pretty good. I'm not familiar with the mounts they offer and I grabbed an external speaker of Amazon. But it looks like that package has everything you need and is cheaper. :thumb:

It is cheaper but i'm a little nervous about the mounts that come with it they don't look as sturdy.

jeeeep

Hooked
So do you guys think this is the more complete kit for the money? cause it has the tuner and external speaker?
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cobra-75-jeep-off-road-kit.html

that looks pretty complete - make sure to figure out where you want your antenna and get the proper antenna mount. I'd recommend the 4' Firestick with base spring (you'll need to order the spring separate).
I mounted mine on the back of the aux stop light but I think it's a bit too high, I'm looking for a bumper location to mount it on a corner or use the TF spare tire mount .
you'll need some electrical connectors and I'd have some additional 14 ga black and red wire on hand

Last edited:

silverbackjk

that look pretty complete - make sure to figure out where you want your antenna and get the proper antenna mount. I'd recommend the 4' antenna.
I originally drilled and mounted mine on the back of the aux stop light but it was too high and caught on things, I'm looking for a bumper location to mount it off on a corner or use the TF spare tire mount .

If i go with that kit i will get the spare Tire TF mount.

Skirmish

Proper grounding seems to be more important that proper tuning. Make sure you have a good ground for the mount, run a wire to a screw into the tub clean of paint if you have to. Check continuity between the bottom of the antenna bolt where the cable shield screws on and the muffler or something else grounded to the frame. Then make sure you have an open line at the top where the antenna itself screws on. If your antenna is grounded or the cable shield isn't you will receive but not transmit more than around 30 yards.

silverbackjk

Proper grounding seems to be more important that proper tuning. Make sure you have a good ground for the mount, run a wire to a screw into the tub clean of paint if you have to. Check continuity between the bottom of the antenna bolt where the cable shield screws on and the muffler or something else grounded to the frame. Then make sure you have an open line at the top where the antenna itself screws on. If your antenna is grounded or the cable shield isn't you will receive but not transmit more than around 30 yards.

Thanks for the info. This is my first cb and want something simple. I use your tips for the install.

silverbackjk

that looks pretty complete - make sure to figure out where you want your antenna and get the proper antenna mount. I'd recommend the 4' Firestick with base spring (you'll need to order the spring separate).
I mounted mine on the back of the aux stop light but I think it's a bit too high, I'm looking for a bumper location to mount it on a corner or use the TF spare tire mount .
you'll need some electrical connectors and I'd have some additional 14 ga black and red wire on hand

Cool i hope the cb works good.

Top Bottom