Engine Light

Heholua

I was out on the trail today and got the dreaded engine light. My rig is one of the early '12s so I guess I was kind of expecting it. 16,300 miles so I will be going to the dealership tomorrow to see what's up.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Does it tick? I can't tell if mine is ticking or not but I am getting closer and closer to my warranty ending.

Heholua

Does it tick? I can't tell if mine is ticking or not but I am getting closer and closer to my warranty ending.

It's not a real pronounced ticking to me, but on the way home from the trail there was a high pitch sound coming from the engine that went up and down with the gas pedal.:idontknow: I bought an extended warranty to 100K miles since it was the first year model with the Pentastar.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What code is it throwing?

That's what I'd want to know as well. Just because you have a check engine light on doesn't necessarily mean you have a bad cyl head. Could just be an EVAP line is loose.

jeeeep

Hooked
engine light came on while I was at EJS after taking a rest during a run -I think my issue was forgetting to turn off the CB and battery got weak

turned the CB off, Jeep off, let it sit a few minutes all was well, checked for codes and nothing came up - those first few moments of oh sh#$#@!

Heholua

I'm going to take it by a friends shop to get the code(s) read before I take it to the dealership. What was odd was another friend on the trip got an engine light on his 2013 rubicon also.

Last edited:

Heholua

You're welcome :thumb: (It's Bryan BTW) ;)

Thanks! The coilovers are badass! If they are even remotely in someone's budget, I can't imagine getting anything else! :rock:

Sorry Bryan! I've been thinking about getting those but I decided on a PR44 instead. Would like to wheel with you guys sometime to see how they ride.

Sorry Bryan! I've been thinking about getting those but I decided on a PR44 instead. Would like to wheel with you guys sometime to see how they ride.

A PR44!?!? That's going to be a sexy piece of hardware under your jeep! :yup:

We definitely need to plan a trip!

Heholua

"Downstream fuel trim system 2 rich"

I'd maybe guess something with an O2 sensor. But I'd take it in for sure.

I read this on another forum from someone who had the same code and this is what his dealer came up with:

They provided me with an extensive protocol: compression test showed cyl 2 was 110 psi while all others were 170-175 psi (leakage test showed 30% leakage). Codes P2099 and "pending fault" for "P0302 = Cylinder #2 misfire detected". It also said that the problem is related to an failed exhaust valve and the valve seat.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I read this on another forum from someone who had the same code and this is what his dealer came up with:

They provided me with an extensive protocol: compression test showed cyl 2 was 110 psi while all others were 170-175 psi (leakage test showed 30% leakage). Codes P2099 and "pending fault" for "P0302 = Cylinder #2 misfire detected". It also said that the problem is related to an failed exhaust valve and the valve seat.

Well beyond my knowledge. That's what a warranty is for. ;)

Heholua

Took my Jeep into the dealer today for another check engine light (P0304). They ordered the parts and want it back on the 17th. The service writer told me the P2099 code is related the cylinder misfire. So if you get the P2099, you can count on getting a cylinder misfire code shorthly thereafter.

aldaman

Recall?

Hello all,

Just hit $28k miles and my 2012 JKU threw a P0304 code. Does that code mean I have the infamous cylinder left head tick or do I just need to replace the spark plugs / coil?

Wondering if the P2099 or P0304 is more related to the cylinder head needing replacing.

image.jpg

Top Bottom