On owning a jeep - the stuff your parents never told you

davantalus

If you're haunting forums (like I did) prior to buying a jeep, this is intended perhaps to set your expectations, or at least attune you to the quirks of Wrangler ownership

Setup: I bought a 2013 Unlimited Rubicon 5000 miles ago, I came from a 1991 Towncar, but spent many moons in the desert in friend's trucks.

Below lie my unorganized thoughts:

• You will destroy bugs. Many of them.
• Rocks will destroy your windshield. (I've been hit good twice so far. $75 each infraction)
• Friends will like your Jeep. You'll realize that coolness is inversely proportional to pavement practicality.
• You'll wonder if your headlights are on. The fog lamps seem surprising good.
• It's hard to find a bottle opener. So far I've only found the rear-gate centering plate. More research necessary.
• The gas mileage sticker is a lie. 15-18mpg seems a reasonable estimate. If you're getting more than that then I'm pretty sure you're a 2 door or drafting, coasting down hills, and never doing more than 65. Gas mileage is slightly worse than a 1991 Towncar with 550k miles (second motor)
• Many key dances you've read about are unnecessary if you purchase the connectivity group because you can just change the settings in dash. Also because you're holding onto a leather searing wheel, your jeep feels about 10k nicer.
• The dashboard PSI readout for all tires, alone, is worth the cost of the connectivity group.
• You'll be able to reset your Average MPG, but you won't understand how you did it... or if the arrow keys in the steering wheel work.
• Locking diffs are overrated.
• When you really need them, locking diffs are underrated.
• If you're listening to music with your USB stick and the cheap radio, you're gonna have a bad time.
• If the dual top group sounds silly to you, ask yourself what happens when it rains and you've removed your hard top. I've heard if you drive fast enough...
• If you buy the manual transmission, it will kinda sound like it's going to fall out of your jeep at any second. I've accepted this as a fact of life. Trucks do this too... right...
• In 4 low, you can start the jeep without clutching.
• If you're under 6'3" foot tall you can probably sleep comfortably in the back of an unlimited. I'm 6'3" and make it work. Especially at an angle.
• The door handles take some getting used to.
• Close the rear gate gently holding the tire or handle. I learned my lesson about holding onto the gate itself the hard way.
• You'll be constantly telling passengers that their door is ajar. (haha, a jar)
• There aren't many places to use a high-lift jack without aftermarket bumpers... Using the stock ruby rails makes them sound like they're about to blow up.

Other random things:
• Tire rotations take 40 minutes without an air wrench.
• Ride in a Jeep with coilovers before buying any suspension components.
• Nobody likes passenger feet on the dashboard.
• Seriously. Nobody.
• My most successful tactic for Jeep buying: Use Jeeps' website to select a VIN you're willing to drive to pickup, then email the dealer about that VIN. Expect to have many back and forth emails, explain that they're give you a great deal but you just can't afford that much. They'll ask, "What can you do?" Tell them much lower, you just can't pay that much. Go from there. Nicely. Always nicely.
• Dudes check out my ride. Why you no look ladies. :\
• 5w20 vs. 5w30 ... There went two hours of your life.

Add your own?

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
This I great stuff and almost a year in to my first jeep, so very true. There are many to add but here's a couple.

- rubicons are plenty capable and a great purchase.

- take your down payment, double it, and that a good starting point for your first few mods.

- double your down again and that's what you wish you could spend.

Bacon

the one and only thing you really need to know about owning a Jeep: you will be forever broke.

Just Empty Every Pocket.

plain and simple.

but it's sooo worth it.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
:cheesy:That captures the experience for me!:cheesy:

How about:

If you're 5'5" or less you better give your choice of lift and tires a lotta thought.
If you have to change a tire on the freeway you better not be wearing your "good clothes."
The R2D2 sounds the ESC makes. Creepy!

Last edited:

Napalm90

With lockers on and in 4lo you can climb just about anything

-spend just about how much money you make in a week on gas in month

Sent from my tiny pink elephant

BeachCrawler

When your passenger exits, he/she will undoubtably have to manually retract the seatbelt.

So will you.

Speed bumps just got worse.

Park your Jeep where ever (say a restaurant), and ESPECIALLY if its a "different" color (like mine that's gecko green), sit back and watch people gather around, or at least pause for a moment when passing by it.

Throw up alittle in your mouth when it's time to fill up...especially when its WAY empty.

Try not to smile every time you get in it ;)

-tell your wife/girlfriend that you still love them, but your gonna be in the garage for the next 6 months with your new Jeep.

andrew -

MTG

Caught the Bug
You end up with more pictures of your jeep on your phone than you do of your family.

kaptkrappy

If you're haunting forums (like I did) prior to buying a jeep, this is intended perhaps to set your expectations, or at least attune you to the quirks of Wrangler ownership

Below lie my unorganized thoughts:

• It's hard to find a bottle opener. So far I've only found the rear-gate centering plate. More research necessary.

Add your own?

Front door "thingy" works.
bottle opener.jpg

-tell your wife/girlfriend that you still love them, but your gonna be in the garage for the next 6 months with your new Jeep.

andrew -

This is exactly how my JK gots it's name.

Wife; "what are you and your girlfriend doing out there in the garage now?"

Fridge81

The chips in the lower rear corners of the front window tint from removing seatbelts.

Great thread!

Sent from some trail, somewhere

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
rock rails will always get your pants dirty / wet whenever you get out of your jeep

Off Road Evolution is an addicting habit

Top Bottom