Hard top storing options

Ben-0

So it's soft top season in good ol New York, I know a lot of people either make carts or buy carts that store there top up with the weight on the back of the top...I was thinking is there any reason not to store if flat...I have pallets laying around the shop and was thinking I could moc it up to be exactly how it fit on the jeep.
Any body have some insight for me, I'm looking to do this tomorrow morning.
Thanks guys

Skid_Kid

Like upside down? I used to store the one from my 2011 on some 2X4's if this helps?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ben-0

Like upside down? I used to store the one from my 2011 on some 2X4's if this helps?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1367904445.287882.jpg just grab this pic from a write up, but I'm saying like most people do it like this, but I'm wondering if I can just moc a cart like up that is the same as it sets on the jeep meaning flat and not leaning

Skid_Kid

Ahhh! I made a cart just like that. You want it to lean a bit so it does not tip back.

Ben-0

Well I have a 2dr...I'm mostly looking to set it flat not tilted back so I can trap it easier, would I have to worry about the glass for any reason

Atch

I don't see any reason why you couldn't. I think most people stand them up on end to save space in their garage. You may want to keep the weight off the pegs around the edges and the glass hangs just a bit lower than the plastic I believe.

Ben-0

I don't see any reason why you couldn't. I think most people stand them up on end to save space in their garage. You may want to keep the weight off the pegs around the edges and the glass hangs just a bit lower than the plastic I believe.

Alright dually noted, thanks...the last think I need is to come back to a broken hardtop when it drops back into the 30s haha

rtguy1

i rigged a hoist in my garage. works great. the top goes to the ceiling and i can still park under it. one man job

SP77

Just use some motorcycle straps and hang it from the ceiling joists. Back in, cinch it up, and drive out. It's out of the way and you can park under it. And it's a one-man operation, no help needed. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1367929203.271509.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, that's about what I did only I used a 2x4 with screw eyes to help out in the rear.

attachment.php

Cheap and easy to do.

Ben-0

Thanks all, you guys are great hard top is off soft top is on....just in time for the rain tomorrow -__- haha

Ben-0

I ended up doing a rack for right now but will do a hoist later when I have a little more time, just a quick fix for right now

KJ_CJtoJK

My Hard top removal and storage option

I built a cantilever top table on casters that makes it real easy to remove (single person) and then store over the top of my trailer. The table is "U" shaped so that I can walk the top off and on by standing in the center of the "U". The table is the same height of the jeep body so that I only need to lift it an inch or as I move it on or off the jeep.

Attachments

• P5110171.jpg
    P5110171.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 191
  • P5110177.jpg
    P5110177.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 188
  • P5120182.jpg
    P5120182.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 190

Beyrgut

That's a pretty slick way of removing the top. Is it height adjustable if you change lifts on the Jeep?

Ben-0

^^ agreed, I like the trailer to....he could always add boards to the bottom of it to accommodate to a lift

KJ_CJtoJK

The frame is made out of two 2.5" diameter muffler pipes bent in a vertical "U" shape (added timber gussets to stiffen the bends). I am planing to lift the jeep and add 35 " tires this month, so I have started thinking about how to modify it. I can either add a timber spacers between the casters and frame and/or add onto the table top.

Top Bottom