Tire Deflators

13JKUR

I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but what do you guys prefer for tire deflators?

The arb or currie like this

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1367952264.998786.jpg

Or something like the smittybuilt like this

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1367952284.522919.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Stauns are nice when they are set right and work but, more times than not, they aren't and don't as they are easy to mess up the settings. The valve stem puller type as shown works fast and well but you can only do one at a time. I own both but find that I mostly use and old school set of deflators that I've had forever that look like this...

Untitled-1.jpg

bob-o12jk

Banned
I used both, and smittybilt ones are kinda cool but they seem to take forever to deflat down to 10psi. I also have the Currie one and I only use that one when I go out. I gave the smitty ones to my buddy. Currie deflator all the way for me. The arb is exactly the same as curries

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I use the ARB. It does suck sometimes only being able to do one tire at a time but not enough for me to change it out for something better.

13JKUR

Thanks guys. I figured it was about time for me to buy my own before our Moab trip since I always steal everyone else's to use to deflate :) I've used both also and like the smittybuilt ones since you can do them all at once but I think I'm going with the arb one just since it has a gauge and seems like it might be more reliable.

suicideking

I prefer the currie, ARB is pretty much the same thing.

I have the Rugged Ridge deflator valves which are similar Staun, but probably not as good. As wayalife mentioned, they were constantly getting out of sync. I'd put all four on and have one tire at 10 (where I wanted it), another at 22, and another at 0!! No fun airing up BEFORE the run...

So got sick of that and bought the currie. Sure, you can only do one at a time, but it works fast.

jeeeep

Hooked
I use Stauns, it took me a few tries to get the hang of setting them up and found it best to keep inflating the test tire to get them all set properly.
after a few uses the adjustment lock would come loose and then they were off their settings.
I got a tip to use a mild locktite (mild so they can be loosened in the future) - haven't had them loosen up since and they work great - all 4 same time to the preset pressure

fade2black

Trailhead deflators ,my choice for years

+1 These are great as you can screw them on just before getting to the trail and drive with them on if necessary. never had a problem with them shutting off where I set them and takes about 3-4 minutes to air down all four 35's.

KJ_CJtoJK

Homemade air balance/deflator/inflator hose with inline pressure gauge. Deflate and inflate two tires at a time.

Attachments

• DSCN0831-M.JPG
    DSCN0831-M.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 257

Rivertoys

I use a fingernail, or my key.... might have to look into these fancy methods though! ...maybe on my next birthday!
yup.gif

Top Bottom