PDA

View Full Version : Tire Deflators

13JKUR
05-07-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but what do you guys prefer for tire deflators?

The arb or currie like this

Or something like the smittybuilt like this

wayoflife
05-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Stauns are nice when they are set right and work but, more times than not, they aren't and don't as they are easy to mess up the settings. The valve stem puller type as shown works fast and well but you can only do one at a time. I own both but find that I mostly use and old school set of deflators that I've had forever that look like this...

bob-o12jk
05-07-2013, 06:59 PM
I used both, and smittybilt ones are kinda cool but they seem to take forever to deflat down to 10psi. I also have the Currie one and I only use that one when I go out. I gave the smitty ones to my buddy. Currie deflator all the way for me. The arb is exactly the same as curries

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeek.olllllllo
05-07-2013, 06:59 PM
I use the currie

jasont0311
05-07-2013, 07:37 PM
I use the ARB. It does suck sometimes only being able to do one tire at a time but not enough for me to change it out for something better.

13JKUR
05-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys. I figured it was about time for me to buy my own before our Moab trip since I always steal everyone else's to use to deflate :) I've used both also and like the smittybuilt ones since you can do them all at once but I think I'm going with the arb one just since it has a gauge and seems like it might be more reliable.

suicideking
05-07-2013, 08:48 PM
I prefer the currie, ARB is pretty much the same thing.

I have the Rugged Ridge deflator valves which are similar Staun, but probably not as good. As wayalife mentioned, they were constantly getting out of sync. I'd put all four on and have one tire at 10 (where I wanted it), another at 22, and another at 0!! No fun airing up BEFORE the run...

So got sick of that and bought the currie. Sure, you can only do one at a time, but it works fast.

Tcdawg
05-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Currie. Works great, it's fast(even if you only can do one at a time), its accurate.

jkmadness
05-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Trailhead deflators ,my choice for years

Atch
05-07-2013, 10:18 PM
I prefer extremely cheap & easy!28850

jeeeep
05-07-2013, 11:16 PM
I use Stauns, it took me a few tries to get the hang of setting them up and found it best to keep inflating the test tire to get them all set properly.
after a few uses the adjustment lock would come loose and then they were off their settings.
I got a tip to use a mild locktite (mild so they can be loosened in the future) - haven't had them loosen up since and they work great - all 4 same time to the preset pressure

RockyJk
05-08-2013, 12:25 AM
I use the Currie same thing as the arb just a different colored bag :thumbup:

fade2black
05-08-2013, 12:36 AM

+1 These are great as you can screw them on just before getting to the trail and drive with them on if necessary. never had a problem with them shutting off where I set them and takes about 3-4 minutes to air down all four 35's.

Napalm90
05-08-2013, 12:50 AM

Great, when we meet up at rauch creek you can show me how to use these darn things.... That gauged deflator I have takes to damn long

Sent via carrier pigeon

jkmadness
05-08-2013, 12:54 AM
Great, when we meet up at rauch creek you can show me how to use these darn things.... That gauged deflator I have takes to damn long

Sent via carrier pigeon

No problem

Notajerryskid
05-08-2013, 03:19 AM
Monster valves. :)

Love mine!!

KJ_CJtoJK
05-08-2013, 03:48 AM
Homemade air balance/deflator/inflator hose with inline pressure gauge. Deflate and inflate two tires at a time.

Mayday
05-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I like my ARB deflator, although I've never used anything else.

cozdude
05-08-2013, 02:17 PM

i have the trailheads as well. they work really well for me

Rivertoys
05-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I use a fingernail, or my key.... might have to look into these fancy methods though! ...maybe on my next birthday! http://wayalife.com/images/smilies/yup.gif

jesse3638
05-08-2013, 11:51 PM
I too am cheap and would rather spend my money on other things so I made a set of my own. You can check the pressure with a standard tire gauge. I posted my write up on JKF about a year ago. If you search Cheap and Easy DIY Tire Deflators there you can see it. Hopefully my reference to my old thread on JKF isn't against the rules. If it is please delete my post thanks.

29024 29025 29026

jhires
05-08-2013, 11:57 PM
I use a clip on tire chuck with s nipple on it. it works very fast, works with a tire gauge, comes off really easy, hooks back up to my air hose, and is cheap

Augichef
05-11-2013, 04:45 PM
I too am cheap and would rather spend my money on other things so I made a set of my own. You can check the pressure with a standard tire gauge. I posted my write up on JKF about a year ago. If you search Cheap and Easy DIY Tire Deflators there you can see it. Hopefully my reference to my old thread on JKF isn't against the rules. If it is please delete my post thanks.

29024 29025 29026

That's sweet

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638
05-12-2013, 12:23 AM
That's sweet

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! All said and done they coast around $15 and I ended up with 106 extra assorted set screws. Never know when those will come in handy...haha. They aren't the fastest on the market but they are usually quicker than the fancy ARB or Currie one's mentioned at the beginning and its cool to say you made them. If possible, moderators, may I post the link to my write up on JKF?

StrizzyChris
05-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks! All said and done they coast around $15 and I ended up with 106 extra assorted set screws. Never know when those will come in handy...haha. They aren't the fastest on the market but they are usually quicker than the fancy ARB or Currie one's mentioned at the beginning and its cool to say you made them. If possible, moderators, may I post the link to my write up on JKF?

Just copy and paste the write up in the write up section here! I'm easily one of the cheapest bastards here and u have my attention :yup:

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

jesse3638
05-13-2013, 03:52 AM
Just copy and paste the write up in the write up section here! I'm easily one of the cheapest bastards here and u have my attention :yup:

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Here ya go I re created the write up for this forum too. My other had flikr links this is cleaner. Here is the like to the post. Moderators may move it to General Offroad Tech. It fits better there than in the JK specific area.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?7529-Cheap-and-Easy-DIY-Tire-Deflators

aldaman
05-13-2013, 06:07 AM
I just use this tire inflator. Cheap and it works. Just use it as if you were airing up but instead it's letting the air out. The gauge works so when I see the desired PSI I know when to stop...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/al_12572/Integra/4aa1d229bc114ecfcf5460f0c4d1274c_zpsd9d3b8e1.jpg

:D

mn jk jeeper
05-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Homemade air balance/deflator/inflator hose with inline pressure gauge. Deflate and inflate two tires at a time.

could you do a parts right up for the parts need to build this
I like what I see and being able to do 2 at once would be nice

KJ_CJtoJK
05-14-2013, 05:11 AM
could you do a parts right up for the parts need to build this
I like what I see and being able to do 2 at once would be nice

I am very happy with this setup. I can simultaneously deflate two stock 32" tires from 35 psi to 20 psi in 1 minute - 10 seconds. I can then inflate them ( two tires) back up to 35 psi in 3 minutes using my Superflow MV50 portable air compressor.

Parts:
1. Air hose with male ends. I cut about 6- 2 off each end of a longer hose coil ( I purcahsed this polyurethane air hose from harbor Frieght)
2. Roll of pipe thread Teflon tape ( use Teflon tape on all threaded connections).
3. " NPT Coupler-Cross (4-way brass cross connector).
4. barb fitting with NPT male ends with hose clamps ( 2 each to connect cut end of air hose to coupler-cross)
5. Quick connect locking closed air chucks for connecting to tire. (I purchased mine from enco.com)
6. Tire gauge.
7. 1/8 x NPT brass connector. (Remove valve stem chuck from tire gauge and use 1/8 x NPT brass connector to connect gauge to top of coupler-cross).
8. Full Port Valve.
9. Air Compressor quick connect fitting (connect to end of port valve to provide air compressor fitting for airing up tires). I modified my portable Air Compressor hose with a quick disconnect fitting to connect to fitting on port valve (less restrictive than the a valve stem chuck connection.

Attached are some close up photo's:

CombatVetJK
05-14-2013, 06:43 AM
I have the ARB one and it works great, 1 tire at a time, but honestly if you are in that big of a rush to air down and get on the trail then you should rethink your timing on arrival to the trail.

KJ_CJtoJK
05-15-2013, 03:39 PM
I have the ARB one and it works great, 1 tire at a time, but honestly if you are in that big of a rush to air down and get on the trail then you should rethink your timing on arrival to the trail.

There are several advantages to deflating/inflating two tires at a time with a balance/transfer hose than just the speed.

1. First of all it is a balance hose. You always connect it up to one axle at a time (the right and left tire of one axle). It is more critical to have the same air pressure across an axle than between the front and rear. Just by connecting it to each tire across the axle, with the valve closed, it will instantly balance the pressure in each tire assuring that you have the same tire diameter across the axle and will not be spinning the side and spider gears in the differential when traveling in a straight line.

2. It allows you to quickly deflate both tires on each side of the axle (Lt & Rt tire) and assure they are balanced. The inline gauge allows you to easily monitor the pressure.

3. It also allows you to quickly air up the two tires on each axle and automatically keep the pressure balanced.

4. Lastly, it also serves as a transfer hose. With the port valve closed, you can quickly transfer air from one tire to another. This can be convenient if you break a bead on the trail. Instead of breaking out the compressor, you can just quickly transfer air from the spare to the flat tire, and later re-inflate the spare tire at a more convenient time.

GraniteCrystal
07-17-2017, 12:59 AM
There are several advantages to deflating/inflating two tires at a time with a balance/transfer hose than just the speed.

1. First of all it is a balance hose. You always connect it up to one axle at a time (the right and left tire of one axle). It is more critical to have the same air pressure across an axle than between the front and rear. Just by connecting it to each tire across the axle, with the valve closed, it will instantly balance the pressure in each tire assuring that you have the same tire diameter across the axle and will not be spinning the side and spider gears in the differential when traveling in a straight line.

2. It allows you to quickly deflate both tires on each side of the axle (Lt & Rt tire) and assure they are balanced. The inline gauge allows you to easily monitor the pressure.

3. It also allows you to quickly air up the two tires on each axle and automatically keep the pressure balanced.

4. Lastly, it also serves as a transfer hose. With the port valve closed, you can quickly transfer air from one tire to another. This can be convenient if you break a bead on the trail. Instead of breaking out the compressor, you can just quickly transfer air from the spare to the flat tire, and later re-inflate the spare tire at a more convenient time.
Thread resurrection!!

Are you still happy with this setup?