Which winch?

Miggles

So we've had our 2013 Rubicon for a few weeks now and have decided we need a winch after nearly getting stuck, by ourselves, in the middle of nowhere. We're not really going to be doing any hardcore wheeling anytime soon so what winch should we get? I believe we might get a Warn Elite series front bumper if that changes anything... My dad would also like it to be pretty well-hidden. Any suggestions?

JeepFan

Hooked
I have the Warn Cti-S and I must say it has performed great on several occasions. Check out the reviews online and if you don't already have a on board air system, check out Warns Power Plant series with the built in compressor.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Congrats on the Rubi. If it's a 4dr think about 9500lb capacity, 8000lb for a 2dr. I'm a big Warn fan, but there are some out there for far less money that are quite good and some that look nice but won't make it through the first pull. I hope more folks add their :twocents:. Good luck!:yup:

WhiteDynamite

Warn 8000-10,000lbs. get the model that best fits your budget. I had a 9.5ti on my TJ and now have a Zeon 10s on my JK. I wouldn't trust anything else.

Miggles

I have the Warn Cti-S and I must say it has performed great on several occasions. Check out the reviews online and if you don't already have a on board air system, check out Warns Power Plant series with the built in compressor.
I would go with the cti if it were me but I don't make the payments; therefore it's not my decision :grayno: I think we'll need something a bit less pricey...

If you go out alone most of the time. Look into a pull-pal. Sometimes no big tree is around ;)
Thank you, I'll be sure to look into that! :cool:

Congrats on the Rubi. If it's a 4dr think about 9500lb capacity, 8000lb for a 2dr. I'm a big Warn fan, but there are some out there for far less money that are quite good and some that look nice but won't make it through the first pull. I hope more folks add their :twocents:. Good luck!:yup:
Warn 8000-10,000lbs. get the model that best fits your budget. I had a 9.5ti on my TJ and now have a Zeon 10s on my JK. I wouldn't trust anything else.
Hmm okay... It's a two door. Not to ask a silly question but whats wrong with the winches that are lower than 8000lbs? I know you're supposed to double the weight of your Jeep right? What's the reason behind this?

RockyJk

Hmm okay... It's a two door. Not to ask a silly question but whats wrong with the winches that are lower than 8000lbs? I know you're supposed to double the weight of your Jeep right? What's the reason behind this?

Your jeep will get heavier once its fully loaded better safe than sorry :thumbup:

WhiteDynamite

Your jeep will get heavier once its fully loaded better safe than sorry :thumbup:

^^^ This :yup:

You will have more powerful motors and/or better gear reduction in the larger models... meaning your winch will be able to pull for a longer period of time. Having a more powerful winch gives you more flexibility and less of a chance of overheating or failure.

Winches are rated by the first layer, so with a smaller winch ex.5000lbs w/ 100ft of cable, you would have to pull almost ALL the cable off the drum in order to get the 5000lbs of capacity. So hopefully you have an attachment point 99ft away. ;)

Here are the specs on my 10,000 lb. Zeon

layer/Lbs(Kgs.)
1/10000 (4536)
2/8245 (3740)
3/7014 (3181)
4/6103 (2768)

You can see it gets less powerful pretty quick as there are more and more layers of rope on the drum.

Miggles

^^^ This :yup:

You will have more powerful motors and/or better gear reduction in the larger models... meaning your winch will be able to pull for a longer period of time. Having a more powerful winch gives you more flexibility and less of a chance of overheating or failure.

Winches are rated by the first layer, so with a smaller winch ex.5000lbs w/ 100ft of cable, you would have to pull almost ALL the cable off the drum in order to get the 5000lbs of capacity. So hopefully you have an attachment point 99ft away. ;)

Here are the specs on my 10,000 lb. Zeon

layer/Lbs(Kgs.)
1/10000 (4536)
2/8245 (3740)
3/7014 (3181)
4/6103 (2768)

You can see it gets less powerful pretty quick as there are more and more layers of rope on the drum.
Ah okay, I get it :) Thanks so much!

Augichef

I have a smittybilt H2o 8k comp with synthetic line and its worked great for my needs.
Augi

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom