Tire shelf life?

Lane87

How long will a new tire last if it's unmounted and stored in a garage? I've heard about dry rot and things like that so I was just curious how long it takes for something like that to set in.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Prob a few years. I know sitting out in the sun they will last for 4-5 years. I'm sure in the garage it would last longer out of the sun

Sent from my iPhone

Lane87

sweet thanks! I know this might sound dumb but I'm going to start buying 37s and beadlocks but I'll have to buy them maybe only one at a time so It might take a while.. lol

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Asked my tire guy about this and he said just make sure they are covered and you will be find for a while.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Shelf life is way different in our desert climate than the more humid areas of the country. I'm guessing the stated four to five years is a good number for most of the country, but I'll bet it's shorter out here in the Desert southwest. Maybe way shorter. Of course, a tire will always let go in the middle of a trail run while seriously aired down.:shock:

Wolff1

How long will a new tire last if it's unmounted and stored in a garage? I've heard about dry rot and things like that so I was just curious how long it takes for something like that to set in.

Covered is the key... i would say wrapped. when I was racing we would wrap and seal our rain tires ( never knew when you would use them) kept them for years. Sealed.
Its the Oxidation or contact with the air that begins and fuels the degredation process.

Top Bottom