Truss?

aaronstephen

I will be ordering C gussetts Monday and have seen that some companies sell a truss for your front axle. Should I get that too? Does it really add that much strength to the axle?

Sent from my iPhone

nem

I installed the artec kit with gussets and lca skids. I'm on my second axle so I wanted do as much as I could with my budget

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1368360994.771259.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1368361041.705398.jpg

FeltsYouUp

Are you running a D30 or D44? I would say the truss adds some strength to the axel tube for sure, but I don't think that's the really weak spot most people worry about. The C gussets are always a good bet to prevent your camber from getting out of whack, but other than that I think the biggest issue with the D30 is the smaller ring and pinion gears, especially if you've regeared to a lower ratio. I know a lot of hardcore offroaders use trusses, but those guys probably put their axels through a little more punishment than your average joe. I don't know how much those trusses cost, but if it's not much then I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

nem

I have only been running it for a few months first big Offroad trip is in 2 weeks. I have a d30 and the first one the knuckle bent when a ball joint broke. Considering 5000$ for a pro rock the truss and gussets were 250$ and a case of beer to have my brother weld it and a little more to have all new seals and have the right gears put in my previously loved d30. I feel for the amount of wheeling I do this was the best option. If its half as beefy as it looks ill be impressed.

jeeeep

Hooked
I don't weld but from what I've heard and had explained to me by my local shop - when welding on the axle, the axle should be supported and the welding should be done a section at a time not a continuous weld, it's the continuous welding that will overheat the tube. They say that's why welding trusses and sleeves takes so long to complete. they alternate from one side to the other, front to back to distribute the heat and allow sections to cool, more like a series of spot welds than a long continuous one

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck welding a truss on and not bending the axle tubes

Amen to that.

A truss will not straighten an already bent axle.

This is also true.

Well with a little preload, the right truss design and an experienced welder it is minimal. No smiling axle here.

While this is true in theory, I have still seen more axles bent because they had a truss installed by an experienced welder than not. Not saying that it can't be done but, more times than not, it isn't done right.. Again, just what I have seen.

So this will definitely happen? No way around it? Why would they sell this product then?

Sent from my iPhone

Simple law of supply and demand. They sell them because there is so much hype about the supposed "need" for them. Of course, hype does not = need. If it were me, I wouldn't waste any money building up your factory axle. Just play with it till it breaks or, you can afford to upgrade to a ProRock44 or better. But, that's just me.

Top Bottom