Cold Air Intake Systems

munstie

Anyone have any experience with intake systems on the 3.8 if so what systems work or do you prefer. And is a aftermarket intake system needed with an aftermarket exhaust?

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Running just a CAI alone won't do a whole lot. Add headers and a high flow exhaust and you will see measurable improvements. But, you really need all 3 . I am running AIRAID intakes and like them especially being that they are California CARB compliant.

jeeeep

Hooked
as WOL said, all 3 work together best.

I don't have headers on this Jeep but adding the CAI and Dynomax I noticed a difference. I also like that you can use a pre-filter to help in really dusty areas. I used a pre-filter in Moab and glad I had it, that red dust was caked on and made cleaning the filter a lot easier.

Skid_Kid

as WOL said, all 3 work together best.

I don't have headers on this Jeep but adding the CAI and Dynomax I noticed a difference. I also like that you can use a pre-filter to help in really dusty areas. I used a pre-filter in Moab and glad I had it, that red dust was caked on and made cleaning the filter a lot easier.

I also did the Airaid CAI and Dynomax and it made a good improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

anyone have any experience with intake systems on the 3.8 if so what systems work or do you prefer. And is a aftermarket intake system needed with an aftermarket exhaust?

2011 jku 3.5 r.e. Longarm lift.

i sell alot of the airaid and the k&n kits to my customers. So far the airraid kit takes the cake. You may want to look at exhaust mods and/or programers like the diablo or hypertech. The 3.8 can be woke up with the right stuff.

munstie

Which one of air raids boxes are better the closed box or the open?? And I believe the only programmer available is the Diablo for the 2011 isn't it..The Dynomax Rock crawler exhaust is supposed to be here at the end of the week, and was hoping to get the CAI ordered as well.?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Which one of air raids boxes are better the closed box or the open?? And I believe the only programmer available is the Diablo for the 2011 isn't it..The Dynomax Rock crawler exhaust is supposed to be here at the end of the week, and was hoping to get the CAI ordered as well.?

The 2007-11 AIRAIDs are open and the new 2012-up are closed.

munstie

The 2007-11 AIRAIDs are open and the new 2012-up are closed.

Was on there sight today and they showed a closed system for the 11's as well as the open, curious though if one flows better than the other. As well as wondering if water becomes a factor with the open setup.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was on there sight today and they showed a closed system for the 11's as well as the open, curious though if one flows better than the other. As well as wondering if water becomes a factor with the open setup.

Hmmm, that's news to me but, not surprising. Certainly, there's no reason not to make them in closed boxes. An open box will allow for better flow but will be susceptible to water for sure.

munstie

Hmmm, that's news to me but, not surprising. Certainly, there's no reason not to make them in closed boxes. An open box will allow for better flow but will be susceptible to water for sure.

That's what worries me with a trip to Drummond island late September this year, and I'm quite sure you remember that mess up there.Then again you were running the open setup at Drummond weren't you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's what worries me with a trip to Drummond island late September this year, and I'm quite sure you remember that mess up there.

It's a legitimate concern and, being that we run an open CAI on Moby, one that concerned me at Drummond Island. Fortunately, we were tall enough and made our way slow enough through the deeper water and did fine. If this is the kind of wheeling you would see yourself doing more times than not, I would go for a closed box.

C-Ron

Bullydog gt also works on 2011 models

robb100

Airaid works great

I picked up a used Airaid for my 2010 JKU which is basically stock with 31" Terra Grapplers and a Superchips tuner. After putting on the Airaid I can now get a chirp from the rear tires when I step on it from a dead stop. Couldn't do that before. Def getting a bit more power. Plus it sounds cool!:rock:

Devallee

Is the airaid filter dry or oiled? With that being said, does anyone prefer one over the other? I'm currently running a Banks CAI with an oiled filter and it gets caked up way too fast so I'm thinking about an airaid (reviews on here seem to be positive) if its a dry filter

munstie

Is the airaid filter dry or oiled? With that being said, does anyone prefer one over the other? I'm currently running a Banks CAI with an oiled filter and it gets caked up way too fast so I'm thinking about an airaid (reviews on here seem to be positive) if its a dry filter

They offer both oiled and dry.

jeeeep

Hooked

caked up so fast? are you in a dusty region?, maybe get a prefilter if it's happening when you're wheeling.

wvjeepin

I got a banks ram air and dual magnaflow exhaust. I noticed a big difference, but then my mpg went down...... :(, I was at 16, now 13.8..

Devallee

caked up so fast? are you in a dusty region?, maybe get a prefilter if it's happening when you're wheeling.

Honestly I just forget and never put it on haha but by the time I get home it's caked up and I gotta clean it and let it dry then oil it again and whatnot it's just a pain I'd rather run a dry one and I really like the airaid

Top Bottom