Stock JK Tie Rod

So I bent my tie rod this last weekend at the miller jeep trail run so I am in need of a new one. I also bent a rear factory lower control arm, if anyone can help me out that would be great. thanks for looking

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on how bent your tie-rod is, you can just adjust it so that your toe-in is set correctly and call it a day. If it's pretty bad, there are things you can do to straighten it out some. Just trying to give you some ideas to save you some money and or help you to get by until you can replace it.

Depending on how bent your tie-rod is, you can just adjust it so that your toe-in is set correctly and call it a day. If it's pretty bad, there are things you can do to straighten it out some. Just trying to give you some ideas to save you some money and or help you to get by until you can replace it.

so how do i know when my toe-in is set right and how do i fix my tie rod, its pretty bent, i will try to see if i have a pic, im at work now so might have to take a good one in the am. i really dont have the money to spend for this as i am trying to save for currie control arms and a heavy duty tie rod setup....any recommendations? and are currie control arms to much for a mild build?

so here are a couple shots from what i have idk if you can see it, you have to zoom in pretty far, i will take one when i get off work.
947192_186151384873935_982580407_n.jpg

972216_186160218206385_2032650897_n.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
so how do i know when my toe-in is set right and how do i fix my tie rod, its pretty bent, i will try to see if i have a pic, im at work now so might have to take a good one in the am. i really dont have the money to spend for this as i am trying to save for currie control arms and a heavy duty tie rod setup....any recommendations? and are currie control arms to much for a mild build?

This write-up will help you to check and set your toe properly:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

If your tie-rod is bent to the point where it's effecting your steering or cannot be adjusted enough to get your toe set, you can use a chain or tow strap (NOT snatch strap) hooked up to another Jeep and gently pull it out some. You just need to be careful not to pull or yank too hard as that will result in the opposite problem.

Currie arms are really nice but depending on how much lift you have and the length of your shocks, not really needed.

This write-up will help you to check and set your toe properly:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

If your tie-rod is bent to the point where it's effecting your steering or cannot be adjusted enough to get your toe set, you can use a chain or tow strap (NOT snatch strap) hooked up to another Jeep and gently pull it out some. You just need to be careful not to pull or yank too hard as that will result in the opposite problem.

Currie arms are really nice but depending on how much lift you have and the length of your shocks, not really needed.

awesome i used that write up for my axel positioning, thank you, i have the AEV Dualsport 3.5" rs lift with bilstein 5160 resi shocks and the aev high steer w/ drag link flip, anti rock sway bars and jks track bars. also on the steering wheel centering.... i used my pro cal to center my wheel, now the pro cal says its straight but the wheel is not actually straight, its turned passenger a good amount?? why would the computer say straight but the wheel be crooked?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
awesome i used that write up for my axel positioning, thank you, i have the AEV Dualsport 3.5" rs lift with bilstein 5160 resi shocks and the aev high steer w/ drag link flip, anti rock sway bars and jks track bars. also on the steering wheel centering.... i used my pro cal to center my wheel, now the pro cal says its straight but the wheel is not actually straight, its turned passenger a good amount?? why would the computer say straight but the wheel be crooked?

Your steering wheel is off because of your bent tie-rod. You NEED to get your toe set. Your computer works off of the clock spring and there is probably just a discrepancy between things.

Your steering wheel is off because of your bent tie-rod. You NEED to get your toe set. Your computer works off of the clock spring and there is probably just a discrepancy between things.

i was told my clock spring is broken because my horn and cruise control both don't work... is this true? if so how and where do i find the clock spring to fix it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i was told my clock spring is broken because my horn and cruise control both don't work... is this true? if so how and where do i find the clock spring to fix it?

Sounds likely and, would explain why your procal couldn't get your steering centered. The clock spring is inside your steering column. A replacement will cost you about $200 plus installation.

Top Bottom