Question Regarding Rock Lights

jkhardrox

Hello,

A while back I saw a thread on here about the Walmart Budget Rock Light install. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4886-Rock-Lights-Walmart-Platinum-Burner-Installation-Write-Up
After seeing this, I was thinking that is a pretty cool way of doing things. But here in lies my question... I live in Pennsylvania and I have been over the vehicle code several times...I have to wonder if anyone has had issues with such and install in PA? My JK is due for inspection at the end of the month and before I go investing money into something that I think is cool, I will find out at inspection time they have to come off because of some stupid clause in the vehicle code!
The vehicle code was about as clear as mud looking for an answer and I wanted to pose this question to the masses to see if anyone has done this and what the outcome was at inspection time!

Thanks,

Steve

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hello,

A while back I saw a thread on here about the Walmart Budget Rock Light install. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4886-Rock-Lights-Walmart-Platinum-Burner-Installation-Write-Up
After seeing this, I was thinking that is a pretty cool way of doing things. But here in lies my question... I live in Pennsylvania and I have been over the vehicle code several times...I have to wonder if anyone has had issues with such and install in PA? My JK is due for inspection at the end of the month and before I go investing money into something that I think is cool, I will find out at inspection time they have to come off because of some stupid clause in the vehicle code!
The vehicle code was about as clear as mud looking for an answer and I wanted to pose this question to the masses to see if anyone has done this and what the outcome was at inspection time!

Thanks,

Steve

Steve first of all welcome to wayalife! where in PA are you?

as far as i know you will be good. these really only should be used only off road or when parked. its considered a distraction when driving (like under glow on tuners) and you most likely will get a ticket for it. other than that i dont see why you wouldnt pass inspection!

-Steve

jkhardrox

as far as i know you will be good. these really only should be used only off road or when parked. its considered a distraction when driving (like under glow on tuners) and you most likely will get a ticket for it. other than that i dont see why you wouldnt pass inspection!

-Steve

Central PA... Yes they wouldn't be used for anything other than offroad. I am waiting on the spod so I can get everything hooked up.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

-Steve

Someone from PA posted up not to long ago that they didnt pass inspection and not having covers on the rock lights was one of the reasons. But he also had a big list of other things.

If worse comes to worse just put electrical tape over the lights when you go to get it inspected.

jkhardrox

Someone from PA posted up not to long ago that they didnt pass inspection and not having covers on the rock lights was one of the reasons. But he also had a big list of other things.

If worse comes to worse just put electrical tape over the lights when you go to get it inspected.

That is funny cause I was thinking the same thing! LOL

MTG

Caught the Bug
Hello,

My JK is due for inspection at the end of the month and before I go investing money into something that I think is cool, I will find out at inspection time they have to come off because of some stupid clause in the vehicle code!

:thinking:

So wait 15 days, do your inspection and ask the person doing the inspection if it's an issue. If they say yes, install the lights and worry about it in 364 days. :thumb:

jkhardrox

:thinking:

So wait 15 days, do your inspection and ask the person doing the inspection if it's an issue. If they say yes, install the lights and worry about it in 364 days. :thumb:

yes but I have them so it is what it is... I like the electric tape idea. There was another guy local here that had a JK all decked out with a ton of lights all over the place and none covered except for the stone guards and I asked him if he had any issues at inspection time...none was the answer. soo who knows!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
yes but I have them so it is what it is... I like the electric tape idea. There was another guy local here that had a JK all decked out with a ton of lights all over the place and none covered except for the stone guards and I asked him if he had any issues at inspection time...none was the answer. soo who knows!

Wait you have them already? You said in the OP you were going to do them. :thinking:

BlackKnight

I don't now about PA, but in MA they have a law against the "neon glow" under cars. But that is on the road. I would presume you would not be using the rock lights unless your off road, in which case what can they say? They can't say something is illegal if its not used on the road..

As for accessory lighting, have you seen some of the 18 wheelers lately?

Last edited:
Top Bottom