After JK what happens to us?

Benito

Caught the Bug
As the title says what happens to all of us JK owners. Are we going to have too much invested in our JK's to just move on to the next Gen, or will we ditch our rigs and start over? Will the next gen combine with JK's? What will people that have $25K over the initial cost of the Jeep do? For those who were around for the transition from TJ to JK what happened then? Was there as large of a community with TJ's? i remember seeing TJ's around but it was rare to see them all beefed up the way you see JK's. I just got a 2013 JKUR three weeks ago and will probably start Jeep'n it up next year, will the JK community still be as strong as it is right now when the next gen comes around?

As for the next gen, aside from the power plan, what is there to improve on? For the most part everything that makes a Jeep a Jeep gets replaced with aftermarket parts.

StrizzyChris

Hopefully the aftermarket part prices drop to TJ levels.

:cheesy::cheesy: I love it...manufacturers have the JK crowd by the frank and berries. :eek: I dont see them letting go any time in the near future, even with a new model, but I like the optimism.

MTG

Caught the Bug
You become as foreign to the "XX" owners as the owners of the CJ, YJ, XJ have become to 93.456% of the JK owners. Cling to the faith mi amigo, cling to the faith. :grayno:

jelliott076

As the title says what happens to all of us JK owners. Are we going to have too much invested in our JK's to just move on to the next Gen, or will we ditch our rigs and start over? Will the next gen combine with JK's?

--As I've said many times I'm going to drive the JK into the grave, then replace what ever's broken and keep on crawling.
What will people that have $25K over the initial cost of the Jeep do? Sh** $25K is what some of us have spent on mod's alone

As for the next gen, aside from the power plan, what is there to improve on? For the most part everything that makes a Jeep a Jeep gets replaced with aftermarket parts.

--Out of the box, the stock JK is capable but not the best 4x4 until you start modifying it.

This is a quote from StrizzyChris' Scorpion Build. Very well planned out and using some great parts. (Chris hope you don't mind me stealing your thunder.)

"Scorpicon Build Thread
Hey Everyone! Finally got around to making my build thread for the 2013 Dune JKU Rubicon, named Scorpicon, that I ordered and received just over a month ago.

This will be a SLOW build, but I will lay out my plan in phases below, that I hope and plan to get me on 40's and 1-tons by the end(within 2 years). I attempted to do this build last year, and shortly after I began to purchase parts I determined I wanted to perform the build on a 2013 JKUR. The determining factor was the new(2012+) 3.6L, rather than my 2007 JKU Sahara with the slug of a 3.8L. And while doing so, I determined a Rubicon would be a better choice for the sway bar, transfer case, lockers, 4.10 stock option gears, etc. This, combined with traveling for work put a temporary hold on my build, but I am now back on track.

Again, this will be a somewhat slow build due to funds, and access to a garage and tools, but the plan remains the same. So bare with me and give me ANY advice you may be able to give in the product and parts I am looking to purchase! Items in red are already purchased items.

Phase-1
•Drag link flip
•Adjustible Track Bar - JKS Gen-II Bar
•1350 F&R Drive Shaft
•Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms - Rock Krawler High Clearance Arms
•Skid system - EVO MFG Full ProTek Skid System
•Flat fender flares - Stock Fender Cut
•4 door Sliders - LOD Signiture Series Sliders
•Bolt on Coilover system - EVO MFG Front and Rear
•Winch Mount Stubby Bumper - EVO MFG 1/4 pounder
•Speedometer recalibration/Tuner - AEV Procal
•Recovery Gear
•High lift jack
•CB Radio, antenna, and wiring
•35”x17” MT tires - Nitto Mud Grappler 35x12.50r17
•Rear Tire carrier (with or w/o bumper) - OR-Fab Jerry Can Carrier
•Wheel Spacers - 1.5" Spidertrax
•Inner C-gussets - EVO MFG C2 Gussets

Phase-2
•Bolt-on Long Arm bracketry and control arms
•Electrical wiring system with dash or a-pillar rocker switches
•Hydraulic Assist Steering
•Onboard Air System
•LED Off Road Lighting
•9.5-12K Winch - Warn 9.5ti
•Cat Back Exhaust - DynoMax Evolution Competition Series Exhaust
•CAI System
•Air Bump-stops

Phase-3
•1 ton axles with 5.13's, 8 on 6.5 lug, ARB, full float rear
•Beadlock 17” 8on6.5 wheels - ATX Slabs
•40” x 17” tires
•Sport cage
•Power steering cooler
•4 point Racing Seats

phillypete

Usually there is a significant lag between new model release and aftermarket components becoming readily available.

A lot depends on how different the new model is to the current and in what ways.

I'm very frightened of our beloved Wranglers future being entrusted to Fiat. I can only hope they respect the heritage and off road sensibilities of the Wrangler.

Hopefully my fears are wrong and they make the most capable Wrangler ever, but even if the new kid on the block is a dream come true it will take at least a year or two for it to knock the jk off the top of the hill.

Skirmish

When the new model comes it will come with new owners. They will flood the forums with the same questions we asked and answer every post assuming you own the new model too. They will be excited and we will act like they haven't earned the right.

This goes for everything ever made ever.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As the title says what happens to all of us JK owners. Are we going to have too much invested in our JK's to just move on to the next Gen, or will we ditch our rigs and start over? What will people that have $25K over the initial cost of the Jeep do?

Unless there's some kind of significant change or addition made like there was for the JK and the introduction of a 4-door, I think most people will simply keep what they have and keep on wheeling. Hell, even with the addition of 4-doors, most of the old TJ guys still turned up their noses to it and are still driving what they have. Cindy and I are Jeep fanatics and will definitely get a new Wrangler when it comes out if for no other reason than the fact that it'll be new but, we'll be keeping at least our big white Jeep for some time to come. We did this with our old TJ and CJ too.

Will the next gen combine with JK's?

For the most part, probably not, at least, that hasn't been the case in the past. However, Cindy and I hope to change that this time around and it is a very big part of why we sold JK-Forum and decided to focus our efforts in developing WAYALIFE.

For those who were around for the transition from TJ to JK what happened then? Was there as large of a community with TJ's? i remember seeing TJ's around but it was rare to see them all beefed up the way you see JK's.

For a vast majority of the TJ guys, they are still TJ guys and yes, there was a HUGE community of them. Out here in Southern California, you see built up ones all the time. We tried keeping our built up TJ for a few years but ended up loving our JK and specifically the 4-door so much that we finally decided to sell it and get a 2nd 4-door JK. We still love TJ's but with a family and a dog who loves to go camping, a 4-door JK just made so much more sense.

I just got a 2013 JKUR three weeks ago and will probably start Jeep'n it up next year, will the JK community still be as strong as it is right now when the next gen comes around?

I'm sure it will - I have no doubts about it. However, it is our hope that with WAYALIFE, we can create of community of "Jeepers" who enjoy the lifestyle more than just fans of a specific model of Jeep.

Hard to say for sure but you have no idea the kind of smack that was being said about the TJ back when word got out that it was going to come with coils!! When the JK came out, the idea of it coming with 4-doors was blasphemous!! What I can tell you is that there are guys at Chrysler who are passionate about Jeeps and have worked hard to make things like skid plates come standard, offer 31" tires on the old TJ Rubicon and then 32" tires on the JK's, provide a 4:1 transfer case on Rubicons, lockers and even an electronic sway bar disconnects. Who knows what we can expect on a new Wrangler - maybe they'll start coming with optional coil overs. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Um, you keep wheeling your Jeep and loving every minute of it.

Well said my friend :thumb:

I'm very frightened of our beloved Wranglers future being entrusted to Fiat. I can only hope they respect the heritage and off road sensibilities of the Wrangler.

I'm not and I'm actually really glad that Fiat took over. Sergio Marchionne is a car guy and one who understands brands and the people who are passionate about them. Cerbrus, the previous owners were just a capital management company and one that couldn't give a hoot about Jeep or the people who loved them. I for one am eager to see what the future brings us :thumb:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Um, you keep wheeling your Jeep and loving every minute of it.

Yep! :yup: I plan to hand my JK down to a grandkid someday. Until then we will wheel it, upgrade it, break it, and fix it. When a new model comes out I am sure we will consider building another one, and if the J12/truck comes out I will buy it. :thumb:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
The phenominal sales the JK has enjoyed guarantees it will live a long and healthy life after production ceases. There are CJ's, YJ's, and TJ's on the trail that are mind blowing if you have enough $$$'s. Same can be said for JK's. I don't think Jeep will roll anything down the assembly line that will instantly blow the JK away. It has to be better though. If it isn't then they're going backwards. I'm not trading my 2012 for something with a quieter interior or even slightly better off road.:twocents:

TheStick

One thing about Jeeps that amazes me is how people just keep driving them. I still see a TON of TJ's and they still look and perform great. Still even see a ton of YJ's and CJ's. Just like these, JK's will not go away, people will keep building them and wheeling them.

How about and auto tire deflator/inflator for the next gen Rubi? :thumb:

groovebus

I'm going to drive my JKU until the wheels fall off. And since I have the new Maximum Care Warranty from Mopar, I pay $100 to have them put back on; for life. 3 things you never sell or get rid of; Guns, guitars and Jeep Wranglers. That's why the resale value is so high, no body "wants" to lose their Wrangler. I lost one in a Bankrupcty ('99 TJ) and it took me almost 10 years before I could get another one.

robx251

Caught the Bug
I don't really know what the future will hold, but i am sure that no matter what it will be for a new wrangler, there will be those who just have to have it. As for what i would like to see in the new ones, would be 44's front and rear standard and a v8 option as they used to do back in the CJ days. who knows, maybe they will bring back an updated I6... I much prefer the old 4.0 i had in my YJ to this 3.8 minivan motor. But as Eddie said with people in the company that are true car lovers and who are in tune with what the public does with their cars, There can only be good things ahead, unless they base the new one on the 500 :banghead:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Well I, for one, can see myself keeping my JKU for a long time. I've owned a TJ before and I loved it but I really love the JKU platform and the extra room it affords as well its offroad handling. I'm close to having it paid off. I'd rather keeping modding it with a V8 sometime down the line than purchase something new. Also, I find the process of modding the jeep a lot of fun. I've learned a lot too. Before owning a jeep, I had never even changed my own oil. Since owning my JKU and thanks to forums like this one, I've been able to change out transfer cases, driveshafts, bumpers, install compressors, wiring, water pumps, brakes, along with a few other things. Plus, & again thanks to Eddie, Cindy, and ORE, I was lucky enough to win an incredible lift, so this particular jeep has special value to me. I could see it being my millennium falcon one day.

Top Bottom