Would you rather buy stock or modded

PunknGladiator

Just saw a thread and this thought occurred to me, would you prefer to buy a stock rig or a modded one? My first jeep was a used and abused YJ that took me forever to get back into usable shape. Someone hacked a SOA lift on it, welded a couple pieces of metal together for the steering and didn't have the proper drag link, the drive line angle was atrocious and countless other things. Unfortunately I jumped into it without knowing much and paid dearly for it but back to my original question. Would you rather buy a stock rig vs one that has been modded? We'll even say that the modded one has been done right, which would you prefer? I personally would rather build it to my likes but also that way I know what has been done, no corners are cut, and that I can learn to wheel to my mods capabilities then when I outgrow them, move on up.

Jason

C-Ron

I found some great looking, modded Jk's when i was searching but went with one that was stock. I didn't wanna take the risk of getting something that had been ragged out. Besides, making it your own is the fun part!

i would say as a "green" jeep owner, I think buying stock is a better option. it not only teaches you how to drive your rig, but how to work on it as you add mods. it also lets you to create the you that "you" and the meets "your" needs.

now having said that, i bought a used/partially modded jeep but was LUCKY that the original owner had ORE, do the work and not just slapped random BS underneath it...

andrew -

PunknGladiator

My thoughts right on.

i would say as a "green" jeep owner, I think buying stock is a better option. it not only teaches you how to drive your rig, but how to work on it as you add mods. it also lets you to create the you that "you" and the meets "your" needs.

now having said that, i bought a used/partially modded jeep but was LUCKY that the original owner had ORE, do the work and not just slapped random BS underneath it...

andrew -

seanb123

There's only one upside to buying modded and that is you should get a better deal for the mods but there are way more downsides such ad harder ware

DJCFHB

Definitely stock. Both jeeps i bought were bone stock and had never seen a dirt road. Gives me a little more piece of mind when buying a used jeep, and like was stated before you can make it your own.

Atch

If I knew the person that did the mods and trusted their work I might go that route, but more times than not I'd buy stock.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I prefer stock. I can definitely see if someone is on a budget buying an already modded Jeep and only having one payment, But I prefer to build my own. That's part of the fun of owning a Jeep. :rock:

groovebus

I have always bought stock Wranglers. The thrill and excitment of owning a Wrangler is maginified by the mods and additions that make your Wrangler like no other on the planet. I look at mine ever single day and think to myself, "This is my Jeep, there are many like it, but this one is mine." If you want to slap that big Jerasic Park sticker on your Sahara, go ahead, If you want to drive a Gecko green JKU with alien head stickers all over it, I'm all for it.

PunknGladiator

I'm actually kind of surprised at the answers. I know I learned my lesson on buying a modded Jeep but I half expected people to say its much cheaper to buy a modded one, just buy one with the work done. I know there are some people out there like me that like to do the work and make it their own but I'm surprised at the answers :thumb:

Lane87

The only way I would buy a modded jeep is if it had well put together suspension mods.. All the other stuff ie- bumpers and other mods can be taken off and sold to get the stuff you like. If I were to come across a mall crawler with say EVO suspension but had a ridiculous (IMO) looking bumper or a chrome grill or something like that I might consider it and ditch the ugly stuff..

BlackKnight

I'm buying stock, not only because I'd rather learn to do the work myself, and gain that feeling that I really own the Jeep. Also I get to pick which parts go on, and not haveing to deal with anything that someone else made a mistake on and covered it up would be a more desireable outcome.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i would go the modded route ONLY if i knew the guy and i know that he does really good work. other than that i would buy a stock one again and mod it the way i like it

i have done both. stock jeep built up, did all the work myself, learned everything there is about components and how they work. I have also bought a clean modded jeep. If I did it again I wouldnt mind buying a modded jeep as long as its clean. when you know enough, you can tell if its been beat on, quality of welds, and components; you know what to look for. I do think its very important to build up a jeep so you learn. If I didnt build one up and learn so much I wouldnt buy at modded one.

This is my preference because I have too many other hobbies that require time that I dont want to give up to build a jeep again. I would rather be out on the trail then spending countless hours looking at parts online and reviews. everyone has jeeps for different reasons, mine is to get out on the trails asap.

there ya go, an against the grain response to keep in interesting

jeff_in_rc

My 0.02

For me these would be my preferred ways of getting a newer Jeep when the time comes, in about 3 years.

1) If I knew the owner AND he/she did all the mods the right way with the right stuff I would buy a modded used Jeep.
2) Totally stock used, no mods, no nothing, one that has never even seen dirt.
3) Brand spanking new (this is the one my wife want to use, yikes!)

Hell I would not be against buying a newer Jeep that had AC even if it was a stepping stone to my "dream Jeep", know what I mean?
Now keep in mind that I have only owned a Jeep for 14 months now but I have to say, I am totally addicted! :crazyeyes:

1yellowjk

Just like any vehicle it would depend on the work and parts....I know someone who picked up a great deal on a modded Jeep that had mega-dollar axles and parts, the person just needed cash and took a big lose, I have known others who bought what they thought was a "bad ass" rig only to find out it was a POS.

If I found a well modded Jeep for the same cost as a stock one I'm pretty sure I would go with the modded, you can always sell the stuff you don't like.

NAUJK

I would buy stock. To me a Jeep is Built not Bought. Build it your way to make it your own.

Just my :twocents:

I would buy stock. To me a Jeep is Built not Bought. Build it your way to make it your own.

Just my :twocents:

I never understood that saying, "built not bought". All the modded "bought" jeeps are all just a product of someone else's vision who "built" it. Some builders great and all they do is build jeeps up, dont use them sell them and build the next project.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Mostly I like to paint on a clean canvas unless I know the modded Jeep well. Bought a modded CJ-3 and thought going in it was worth every penny. Instead, it took every penny. Life is lessons.:yup:

NAUJK

I never understood that saying, "built not bought". All the modded "bought" jeeps are all just a product of someone else's vision who "built" it. Some builders great and all they do is build jeeps up, dont use them sell them and build the next project.

Because you didn't built it. Yes it was built by someone the way they would like it, but to me its not yours. A Jeep (or another project vehicle or project) is an extension of you, build it yourself make it your own. I would buy a slightly modded one, maybe a small lift some tires but I wouldn't buy a full out modded rig ... it just wouldn't be the same. Its about the process of building it, thats why there are so many build threads on this sight, people want to show what theyve done to their own rig.

Now I am not saying you cant go out and buy a completely modded rig, nah do what you want. Just my opinion. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom