4BT cummins swap!!!???

BadApple

Has anyone on here done this swap if so can i get some info wanting to get rid of this minivan power lol!!! I know it was done for project rattletrap but i think its a inline 6, someone correct me if im wrong please. Info is greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BadApple

Do you have any.input or info on this swap skirmish?

Skirmish

Depends on what you are going for. That engine is high torque for its size but low HP. If you want a crawler it should do very well but for other uses there are better options.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Project rattler trap was not a 4bt. It is a 12V cummins motor which has a lot more horsepower and torque from the get go. There are a lot better motors to go with out there then the 4bt. Unless your going for a crawler that'll get 30 mpg.

HoosierWolf

I love diesels and so I have looked into the 4BT motors for Jeeps a bit.

From what I understand and I'm a very poor mechanic, they are a relatively inexpensive motor to put in a Jeep since you can find them used frequently. They are however as mentioned pretty low HP and the major negative I hear is that they are usually pretty noisy and will shake the fillings out of your teeth.

2007 JKU

Banned
Do use all a big favor. If your Jeep is a street only then get your diesel but if you go off-road get a LS. The last thing we need is a diesel stinking up the wilderness. Most of us go off-road to enjoy the fresh air not to smell diesel fumes stick behind someone on a trail.

FYI I own a diesel performance shop so I love diesels. Just where they belong on asphalt.

BadApple

Thanks for the info guys! I was pretty sure rattletrap was a 12v just wasnt 100% thanks overlander for being knowledgeable and i want tge diesel for torque and low end rpm and the 30 mpg doesnt sound to hard on the wallet!! And to 2007 Jku you couldnt give me an ls and then pay me to put it in the jk id rather stink up the ozone than have a bad taste in my mouth.. Id pay the 13 grand to throw a coyote 5.0 before i followed any ls bandwagon!! Again thanks for knowledgable info and im probably going with the diesel soon!!

SDG

Caught the Bug
I looked into this and from what I can tell its just not worth it with the 4bt. You will never get your registration renewed, so the rig Will be destined for offroad use only.

I also saw where a magazine tried to put the cummins out of a ram in a jeep and the only way it would fit was with the body of the truck modded to take the jeep panels etc.

Would be interesting to see if the diesel from a cayenne or a q7 tdi would fit. But that's a lot of $$$. Not sure how much torque those make though.

BadApple

You can still get yoir regisyration renewed ive seen them on the road just never talked to anyone with it seeing as though i just purchased mine!

1yellowjk

I looked into this and from what I can tell its just not worth it with the 4bt. You will never get your registration renewed, so the rig Will be destined for offroad use only.

Not true as registration is state by state, I can register a 4wheeler here as a road vehicle as long as it has lights and mirrors and I wear a helmet.

If you want a trail only vehicle then it's not a bad swap, but like others have said, there are better choices, unless it's a must have.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Not true as registration is state by state, I can register a 4wheeler here as a road vehicle as long as it has lights and mirrors and I wear a helmet.

If you want a trail only vehicle then it's not a bad swap, but like others have said, there are better choices, unless it's a must have.

Well yea, I guess it all depends where you live. Here is the "great state of california" you wont be able to pass emissions, which means you wont be able to renew your registration. When I lived in Indiana they didnt have smog so you could do whatever you wanted. I had a friend who couldnt pass smog in WI because of the turbo he put on, so he registered it in indiana. All he had to do was go to the police station and get a "vehicle inspection" which consisted of a cop walking out to his car, bending down to see if he had a muffler, and signing the paperwork.

JKbrick

Ahh Indiana, we don't get inspected for anything, no bumpers needed, mirrors optional, mud flaps not required, really lax laws at least in northern Indiana. Btw, Dan McKeag at Burnsvilleoffroad.com answers his email and will answer your diesel conversion questions.

Top Bottom