shock question and opinions

aaronstephen

So I recently moved to a more "countryish" area and I am driving on more dirt than before. lots of dirt roads with washboards. I have 4" EVO Plush Ride Coils with MetalCloak Arms. Bilstein 5100's. I am fairly pleased with this setup on road. drives and feels better than stock. but once I hit those washboards I feel like everything wants to fall apart. If I drive a bit faster it's not too bad. I have to believe its my shocks that could make an improvement. any suggestions of shocks? any experience with driving on washboard roads a lot with a particular shock you like? :beer:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah diving slow it will be a little rough. When you speed up a little bit it will soften up. Just go faster. :thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
when I spend the summers at our family place roads are the similar. I also have the 5100's and aired down to where it's good on the dirt roads as well as on road - I don't drive fast (over 55) on the pavement but if I need to run long distances I air up.

I took a tread pattern and figured how far I could air down before it affected the wear and basically found a balance that works for my Jeep.

aaronstephen

when I spend the summers at our family place roads are the similar. I also have the 5100's and aired down to where it's good on the dirt roads as well as on road - I don't drive fast (over 55) on the pavement but if I need to run long distances I air up.

I took a tread pattern and figured how far I could air down before it affected the wear and basically found a balance that works for my Jeep.

What size tires and what do you air down to?

Sent from my iPhone

jeeeep

Hooked
I have BFG 315/70/17 set at 28 - 32psi depending how loaded the Jeep is. Keep in mind I have more stuff in the Jeep during the summer so it's heavier than normal - all other times I run at 37psi

I my "vast" experience :crazyeyes: , the faster you travel on washboard type terrain - the better. That being said, the better your shocks are, the faster you will be able to go without greater risk. I have hit about 65-70 "comfortably" on the lakebed in Johnson Valley with my KING 2.5s. I could have gone faster, but didnt want to break EVERYTHING!!!

jeeeep

Hooked
I my "vast" experience :crazyeyes: , the faster you travel on washboard type terrain - the better. That being said, the better your shocks are, the faster you will be able to go without greater risk. I have hit about 65-70 "comfortably" on the lakebed in Johnson Valley with my KING 2.5s. I could have gone faster, but didnt want to break EVERYTHING!!!

lol I've tried that, it got better until it begin to wander then I begin to wonder "what the hell am I doing!", I saw another guy hauling ass down the same road so I asked what shock - kings 2.5 adjustable and bumpstops...he was going 75! we took a ride (not as fast) but wow what a difference at the measly 50mph I was trying to reach.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
This is from my dirt biking days, but riding faster through the washboard and whoops definitely smoothed things out. When you're going slower a "good" shock is trying to keep the tires on the ground for best traction. If you're haulin' it, the shocks can't react to the washboard fast enough and the tires are skipping across the tops and you get a smoother ride. Of course, the tires aren't in constant contact with the road so changes in speed, direction, braking, and distance between the tops can sometimes get you into what pilots "unusual attitudes". If you watch Supercross, the riders try to gauge their speed to get the tires skipping across the tops of the whoops. Sneaky track designers will sometimes change the distance between the whoops and only the best adjust speed and get through without a trip over the bars. Been there (over the bars part).:doh:

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
On washboard terrain reservoir shocks shine by reducing shock fade. I'm surprised no one has said this yet. King, fox, Elka , bilstein all make res shocks that will and do help the ride on high speed terrain. They also tend to help slow in the rocks for extended periods, since shock fade will happen there as well , just not as dramatically.

aaronstephen

On washboard terrain reservoir shocks shine by reducing shock fade. I'm surprised no one has said this yet. King, fox, Elka , bilstein all make res shocks that will and do help the ride on high speed terrain. They also tend to help slow in the rocks for extended periods, since shock fade will happen there as well , just not as dramatically.

Yea, I think I'm going to save and buy the king 2.5s res shocks that EVO dials in for my springs. There pricey, so ill be saving for a while. 😁

Sent from my iPhone

aaronstephen

28 psi and when I drive a little faster it does smooth out a bit but the shocks sound bad. Like they can't handle the workload.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
28 psi and when I drive a little faster it does smooth out a bit but the shocks sound bad. Like they can't handle the workload.

Well, to me, 28 psi is street pressure and depending on how bad the washboard is and how long I would be on it, I personally would take that down to about 18-20. Driving faster will help out too.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I can tell you this, the kings and plush ride coils from EVO make a ton of difference! Things that use to rattle before installing the 2.5 kings don't rattle now and the ride is awesome! You won't be sorry you saved up for them!

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bit that require airing up and down everyday. 

Would better shocks help?

LOL!! Like I said, it all depends on how much you're on the washboards and how often. If it's often and long enough, I might try to compromise and just run your tires at say, 22-24 psi. I would run that all day everyday and not worry about it. Airing down is FREE and will actually help the most on washboards. Shocks may help some and reservoir shocks will make that help last longer but ultimately, they are still meant more to absorb bigger hits - thus, one of the reasons why things feel better when you go faster.

MAMUT

I'll have to agree with the last comment. I'm running plush coils with the 2.0 kings, and let me tell you its a flawless match. The ride is unbelievable. Im 95% sure that the shocks is your problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using WAYALIFE mobile app

aaronstephen

LOL!! Like I said, it all depends on how much you're on the washboards and how often. If it's often and long enough, I might try to compromise and just run your tires at say, 22-24 psi. I would run that all day everyday and not worry about it. Airing down is FREE and will actually help the most on washboards. Shocks may help some and reservoir shocks will make that help last longer but ultimately, they are still meant more to absorb bigger hits - thus, one of the reasons why things feel better when you go faster.

So I've been running about 22-23 psi lately and those same wash boards feel much better. I guess I won't give up quite yet on my bilsteins.

Thanks for chiming in everyone

Top Bottom