Evo Corner Skins Install Difficulty + Reverse Lights

darkscion0

Greetings Wayalifers,

I think I've made up my mind to go with the Evo Tire + Corner Skins.

1) What is the install difficulty like for the corner skins? I haven't had much luck finding instructions or videos of anyone installing them. I think it's probably something I can do myself (other than painting them) but I'd like to get a better idea before I purchase.

2) Where I live reverse lights are required. I've looked into wiring a set up separate from the new round tail lights but I'm wondering if there's any round LED tail lights that would already have a section of white reverse LEDs integrated into them?

Thanks!

GCM 2

Here is about as close to a write up as you will get, it's buried within a forum members thread (MTG's Building of Knuckles). You will need to sort through some of the constant thread highjacks, but MTG really did a great job on his install. The link below should get you started right about where he is beginning the EVO rear quarters being installed. I was lazy and just had Off Road Evolution do mine since I was overseas at the time and just drop my rig off with them.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?1585-The-building-of-knuckles&p=67734&viewfull=1#post67734

Edit: As far as reverse lights, most guys (with the exception of me, I am rule breaker) are running reverse lights on the rear crossmember, something like a Rigid Dually D2 or Rigid SRM would be the pinnacle of this kind of set up.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Having the right tools is the key to this (and most) installs. Like GCM2 said, check out MTG's thread. Good clamps, and the proper nutsert tool, are a must. Overall though, the install is not that bad.

BlackKnight

All the threads I've seen mention that they are a tight fit. make sure you take your time and have some ratchet straps handy.

Briguy114

the ORO litedot led taillights are pretty cool looking, but I'm not sure if they will fit in those holes

Last edited:

biggy

the ORO litedot led taillights are pretty cool looking, but I'm sure if they will fit in those holes

They will work but you need to make some tabs for the back of the skin to be able to mount them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DJCFHB

I did the install by myself just from using pics i had seen from the forum and a couple calls to evo. Definitely need some clamps and a good nutsert tool. I didnt have the nutsert tool, used a bolt and some washers with a sleeve like what psc send with their flares, and had a little difficulty (had to tack weld a couple nutserts so i could could get the sleeves to crush). Other than a few hick-up i got it all installed and is holding up very well.
IMG_0711_zpsf6fae8b6.jpg

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
What kind of taillights is everyone using and how do they attach to the skins?

any standard 4" round light should fit, that's what I have now and will put them in the skins when I finally install my set. They just have a rubber gasket/seal that holds them

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
any standard 4" round light should fit, that's what I have now and will put them in the skins when I finally install my set. They just have a rubber gasket/seal that holds them

I'll just probably grab a pair of these and then figure out what I'm going to do about reverse lights:

41-04-050-2T.jpg

The hole in the Evo skins is 4.5" right?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I'll just probably grab a pair of these and then figure out what I'm going to do about reverse lights:

View attachment 119512

The hole in the Evo skins is 4.5" right?

For reverse lights I had mine on the carrier for a while, but then decided to move them down onto the cross member due to adding a rotopax can where the lights fit the best. I may end up drilling the skins and adding lights to them however since I don't see myself running the evo carrier and staying with the genright.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I'll try to do a write up of my install while I'm doing them since there really isn't one out there and I can't even find anything on YouTube about them. Too bad Evo doesn't do install videos like PSC does. :grayno:

I did measure the holes and they are 4.5" so I got a set of the LED lights PSC sells along with their new wiring harnesses. I only opted for the passenger because it also has the 3rd brake light wire included which will help when I move my ORO light out from the tailgate to the tire carrier. For the driver, I just got the resistor which I'll solder in to the stock wiring myself.

Now to get the Astro Pneumatic rivnut tool and a small air saw to make the taillight cut outs ($130 in tools right there).

One thing I think I will do that no one else has mentioned is to cut out the raised sections around the stock taillight cutouts as recommended in the PSC directions. That should make it easier to get the skins to conform to the corners.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'll try to do a write up of my install while I'm doing them since there really isn't one out there and I can't even find anything on YouTube about them. Too bad Evo doesn't do install videos like PSC does. :grayno:

I did measure the holes and they are 4.5" so I got a set of the LED lights PSC sells along with their new wiring harnesses. I only opted for the passenger because it also has the 3rd brake light wire included which will help when I move my ORO light out from the tailgate to the tire carrier. For the driver, I just got the resistor which I'll solder in to the stock wiring myself.

Now to get the Astro Pneumatic rivnut tool and a small air saw to make the taillight cut outs ($130 in tools right there).

One thing I think I will do that no one else has mentioned is to cut out the raised sections around the stock taillight cutouts as recommended in the PSC directions. That should make it easier to get the skins to conform to the corners.

While there may not be a full write up, there are plenty of threads walking through the process (look at MTG's build thread for just one example). The Astro is absolutely worth it, but I don't see the point in buying a small air saw. A garden variety sawzall with a short metal blade works just fine. I don't recall the raised sections around the taillights being an issue...just make sure to pull all of the hardware. Plus, it's nothing a few whacks with a hammer can't solve. Based on my recollection, with a good set of ratchet straps and clamps it was no big deal to get the corners to conform.

13WhiteRubi

For reverse I just welded some tabs on the tire carrier and mounted some Rigid floods. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421979203.457953.jpg

As for what you need.
Ratchet straps
THE ASTRO TOOL
and just take your time.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421979052.320612.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421979052.320612.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 232

sitruc

Anyone anywhere have any LEO issues with the tail lights being partially blocked by the EVO tire carrier? :thinking:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Anyone anywhere have any LEO issues with the tail lights being partially blocked by the EVO tire carrier? :thinking:

None here in Wyoming, I don't think they care what you do here.
And for reverse lights I used rigid. I love my tire carrier

Attachments

• 1422028041686.jpg
    1422028041686.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 218
Top Bottom