Budget Boost vs. Leveling Kit

Miggles

Hey guys!
The longer we have the Rubi the more the more I think we should get it up a tad bit. The question is, should we get a budget boost or the leveling kit? We don't need anything extreme--it's our DD... Your thoughts?
EDIT: Or would a coil lift be better?

Last edited:

Speeddmn

I did a BB on mine and threw on a set of 295/70/17's. I rub alot more than I expected. Wish I had just saved up a bit more and did a complete lift.

Someone once said it's expensive to be cheap.

May as well do it the way you want to the first time!

Tackerdown

Banned
Not knowing what type of wheeling you want to do I'll give you my scenario . I wanted to keep the same ride quality but wanted more clearance and the ability to run 35" tires if I wanted. Well 35's with little modifications so I went with a 2.5" BB spacer lift. It's perfect for me at this time. The ride is the same as when I bought it and I can do some harder trail now.

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.

KJ_CJtoJK

Hello neighbor,

I went with the Daystar 1.75" spring spacer lift (only $135 at Amazon). Just installed it last weekend. 1.75 inch does not sound like much, but the change in appearance is very noticable - looks good. The Polyurethane spacers seem to isolate the road noise better than the stock setup. I plan on installing 35" tires on stock rims shortly. Here is link to article in 4-Wheel magazine regarding this lift:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/suspension/131_1305_e_z_jeep_lift_on_a_budget/

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Are you thinking about the coil or spacer leveling kit? I installed puck leveling kit with 18/59 springs, Rubi shocks. Love it. Very happy with the results and did not cost me much. Will add other components as I go. The TF BB is nice and the most complete though.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I did the TeraFlex leveling kit. I'm happy with the clearance it gave me for the 285/70/17 BFGs. I went this route for a specific reason though, Warranty. When the warranty is up on my suspension, I will go with a 2.5" and 35s. For the Wife, we may be leasing a JKUR (since we typically trade her vehicle in every 3 years or so anyways) and we will be going with a leveling kit with that so we can return it back to stock if required.
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0323.jpg

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I did the TeraFlex leveling kit. I'm happy with the clearance it gave me for the 285/70/17 BFGs. I went this route for a specific reason though, Warranty. When the warranty is up on my suspension, I will go with a 2.5" and 35s. For the Wife, we may be leasing a JKUR (since we typically trade her vehicle in every 3 years or so anyways) and we will be going with a leveling kit with that so we can return it back to stock if required.
View attachment 30456
View attachment 30457

Looks good and nice job on the front bumper!:thumb:

Miggles

I did a BB on mine and threw on a set of 295/70/17's. I rub alot more than I expected. Wish I had just saved up a bit more and did a complete lift.

Someone once said it's expensive to be cheap.

May as well do it the way you want to the first time!
Okay thanks, I would like the complete lift but it's a bit too expensive :(

A budget boost can be spacers or coils. I would do that vs the leveling kit.
Haha this is all new to me; I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up!

Not knowing what type of wheeling you want to do I'll give you my scenario . I wanted to keep the same ride quality but wanted more clearance and the ability to run 35" tires if I wanted. Well 35's with little modifications so I went with a 2.5" BB spacer lift. It's perfect for me at this time. The ride is the same as when I bought it and I can do some harder trail now.

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.
This is basically what we need--thanks for your input!

Hello neighbor,

I went with the Daystar 1.75" spring spacer lift (only $135 at Amazon). Just installed it last weekend. 1.75 inch does not sound like much, but the change in appearance is very noticable - looks good. The Polyurethane spacers seem to isolate the road noise better than the stock setup. I plan on installing 35" tires on stock rims shortly. Here is link to article in 4-Wheel magazine regarding this lift:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/suspension/131_1305_e_z_jeep_lift_on_a_budget/
I really like the look of the Jeep in the article. I'll keep that option open :)

Are you thinking about the coil or spacer leveling kit? I installed puck leveling kit with 18/59 springs, Rubi shocks. Love it. Very happy with the results and did not cost me much. Will add other components as I go. The TF BB is nice and the most complete though.
Would coils or spacers be better?

Looks good :cool: This will probably be the way we end up going. And I agree with Linebacker, nice looking bumper :2thumbsup:

TRAUMAhead

35s, leveling kit, chopped fenders. In hindsight, I should've gone coil lift off the bat and C rated tires.

8669425019_9ae3c15c44_b.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Spacer would retain the factory ride, coils would improve I believe. I've heard alot of good thing about Evo's coils as well.

Rooster76

COIL LIFTS
Coil lifts are better because they will give you more flex off road. They are going to be a major change in feel for better or worse. They cost a bit more.

BUDGET BOOST
BB/spacer/coil-puck/leveling lifts will keep your stock feel and give a much more accurate amount of lift, especially with 2DRs close to stock weight. Rough County is supposed to make a good good kit for cheap. For the most part all these type of kits are the same. You can either go stock shock extensions, or go with longer shocks. I wonder if longer shocks gives just a bit more flex?

WHAT MAKES IT A HARD DECISION
Coil lifts will almost, if not always, give you more lift than advertised if you don't have extras like bumpers, a winch, body armor, etc. At 2.5 inches (actual vs advertised) a lift doesn't need much adjustments. As you go higher the expense starts to go up exponentially.

Issue 1) With a larger lift you start needing an adjustable track bar to center the axel, and adjustable lower control arms to adjust caster(amount the top of the wheel angles out).

Issue 2) On the 2012+ JK's with more than 2.25" of lift the driveline will rub the exhaust cross over. Check out this video
http://youtu.be/s2CQD68LHSg
You can add a teraflex exhaust spacer. These will rub slightly on many engine/tranny skids. You can add some washers to shim the issue. With 4drs you can also add an aEf y pipe as a more elegant alternative.

Issue 3) With all JK's you can only lift so far before the cv joint, at the transfer case side of the front driveshaft, will be an issue. It has a rubber boot (at the very end not the one in the middle) that will rub at somewhere around 3". I REALLY wish I knew an exact measurement before that rub starts on a 2dr. After the rub becomes a tear the driveshaft is shot. If that happens a double cardan driveshaft can be added which allows more angularity. I'm going to guess that's around $600. I don't know at what added height the rear driveshaft becomes an issue. That also would be nice to know.

Issue 4) Teraflex tells you that you need wheel spacers with their 2.5" coil lift I'm assuming that would only be for wider tires and 35s. I'm not totally sure.

Issue 5) Too much lift and awesome becomes roller skates for wheels. To fill out those gaps= bigger tires=tire carrier=regear=you broke with a bad ass Jeep.

Last edited:

mcgee149

i have jkru springs and a 3/4" puck you can have i just took them off last night. you can run a 35" tire with a fender chop no prob.

Miggles

35s, leveling kit, chopped fenders. In hindsight, I should've gone coil lift off the bat and C rated tires.

8669425019_9ae3c15c44_b.jpg
Looking good, Trauma :cool:

COIL LIFTS
Coil lifts are better because they will give you more flex off road. They are going to be a major change in feel for better or worse. They cost a bit more.

BUDGET BOOST
BB/spacer/coil-puck/leveling lifts will keep your stock feel and give a much more accurate amount of lift, especially with 2DRs close to stock weight. Rough County is supposed to make a good good kit for cheap. For the most part all these type of kits are the same. You can either go stock shock extensions, or go with longer shocks. I wonder if longer shocks gives just a bit more flex?

WHAT MAKES IT A HARD DECISION
Coil lifts will almost, if not always, give you more lift than advertised if you don't have extras like bumpers, a winch, body armor, etc. At 2.5 inches (actual vs advertised) a lift doesn't need much adjustments. As you go higher the expense starts to go up exponentially.

Issue 1) With a larger lift you start needing an adjustable track bar to center the axel, and adjustable lower control arms to adjust caster(amount the top of the wheel angles out).

Issue 2) On the 2012+ JK's with more than 2.25" of lift the driveline will rub the exhaust cross over. Check out this video
http://youtu.be/s2CQD68LHSg
You can add a teraflex exhaust spacer. These will rub slightly on many engine/tranny skids. You can add some washers to shim the issue. With 4drs you can also add an aEf y pipe as a more elegant alternative.

Issue 3) With all JK's you can only lift so far before the cv joint, at the transfer case side of the front driveshaft, will be an issue. It has a rubber boot (at the very end not the one in the middle) that will rub at somewhere around 3". I REALLY wish I knew an exact measurement before that rub starts on a 2dr. After the rub becomes a tear the driveshaft is shot. If that happens a double cardan driveshaft can be added which allows more angularity. I'm going to guess that's around $600. I don't know at what added height the rear driveshaft becomes an issue. That also would be nice to know.

Issue 4) Teraflex tells you that you need wheel spacers with their 2.5" coil lift I'm assuming that would only be for wider tires and 35s. I'm not totally sure.

Issue 5) Too much lift and awesome becomes roller skates for wheels. To fill out those gaps= bigger tires=tire carrier=regear=you broke with a bad ass Jeep.
Haha thanks dude :) Very informative, I'll make sure to remember everything when the time comes to make a decision.

i have jkru springs and a 3/4" puck you can have i just took them off last night. you can run a 35" tire with a fender chop no prob.
I'll shoot you a PM in a bit

Top Bottom