Mean green alternator?

billybob990

Anyone have experience with them? I plan on running 8 lights all together I already have 2 100 watt kc daylighters and plan on running daylighters as the rest. What amp should I get?

Bump to top

Never heard much about them, on my old TJ i was running six daylighters, 1500watt stereo system, winch, and a few other goodies.
I was frying alts and batts like no tomorrow.

solution: i had a local rebuilder take one of my old alternators and bump it to 140 amps, and ran the deka version of the optima battery, then put stereo compasitor in line with the lights to take away the initial "draw" every time i would hit the switch for the lights.

the alt. simply maitained the charge to the battery, not intended to "charge" the battery, the optima or equivelent does not draw down as fast as conventional batteries. heavier gauge wiring helped too.

thats what the guys at my shop did for me and it worked great. maybe this will help you???

PackersJeep

I ran one on my old XJ ('98) and they did a "diesel" spin (?) Not sure how thats different but it was 160 amps at idle and 210 peak. I was running a 2800 watt system along with some PIAAs, and a few other goodies that like to draw power. After installing the Mean Green I didn't have any trouble with them except when cranking the system in competitions (peaked at 157.3 db)...but thats almost 3000 watts being drawn.

I ran the Mean Green for about 4-5 years without any issues and would not hesitate to run them again in the future. As far as what amperage to to get...well, give them a call and ask. Thats what I did and they did one "to order" for me.

Hope it helps

Top Bottom