Truck-Lite Old Style vs. New LED Headlight Test & Review

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
main.php

I know a lot of you have been waiting for this and, I'm happy to say that last night, we finally got a chance to do a side by side comparison test of the all NEW Truck-lite Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlights versus the original LED Headlights that they've had out for a while now. And, after doing the test, this is what I can tell you.

Overall Impressions
The New Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlights do put out a much whiter light and provide a much wider beam than the original version. The low beams do have a very distinct hot spot focused into points the shape of a "Y" about 25' out or, up against a wall, what looks like two "V" shaped points. With the high beams on, these shaped hot spots completely disappear as more light is added to what's already there and do an amazing job of illuminating the road ahead of you. Unlike the previous Truck-Like LED headlights, there is no purple fringing what so ever.

By comparison, the original Truck-Lite LED headlights seem a little dull and less white but, this is most likely the result of having hot spots that aren't nearly as focused. Projected on a wall, these lights have hot spots that look more like two fuzzy rectangles but, on the road, blend into a nice block of light in front of you. As mentioned, the beam does have some purple fringing and it isn't as wide as the new version but, it's still much wider than factory or IPF's. The high beams do a great job of illuminating the road ahead but, I will have to say that the new version is a bit nicer.

Below are side by side comparison shots we took up against a wall. The left set of lights are the new Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlights and the right are the original version. PLEASE NOTE: that the actual amount of illumination was greater but, we purposefully set our cameras to help make the beam, spread and hot spot features more distinct.

As you can see here in this low beam test, the new Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlights have a very white light and very pronounced "V" shaped hot spots. By comparison, the original LED Headlights are a little dimmer with unfocused rectangular hot spots that contain purple fringing...
main.php

In this high beam test, you can see that the new Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlights put out a much more focused and intense beam of white light whereas by comparison, the original LED Headlights are less focused and because of it, appear tinted down by about 5%...
main.php

Projecting the headlights with low beams on, you can see that the new Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlights do an excellent job of illuminating the road ahead as well as far out to the sides and the ground immediately in front of your Jeep - something you could only get with fog lights on while running factory headlights. There is a slight separation between the light cast far and near but, it's nothing too distinct and not something that I think most people would even notice. As you can see, the two "V" shaped hot spots you saw on the wall converge into a single "Y" shaped hot spot at the furthest point of the beam and, while it's no big deal to me, it is something that is hard not to notice...
main.php

With the high beams on, more light is added to what was already there as opposed to just shifting the beam higher as would be the case with factory headlights, a set of IPF or the like. Also, the "Y" shaped hotspot grows into a large oval and the overall illumination you get out of it is truly impressive...
main.php

The low beams on the original Truck-Lite LED Headlights provide a more monolithic column of light and, while the spread is nice, it isn't as wide as that of the new Complex Reflector Optics Design. As is the case with the new lights, there is a slight separation between the light cast far and near but again, it's nothing too distinct and not something that I think most people would even notice.
main.php

As before, more light is added to what's already there with the high beams on and the column of light you had before only reaches further...
main.php

The Verdict
I have to admit that the first time I saw the original Truck-Lite LED Headlights, I thought they were way cool and had a futuristic look to them and aesthetically, I still prefer them over the new Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlight design. To me, the new headlights look a little plain jane and with the lights off, I feel like they have a smoked tint look to them that I'm not really fond of. But, I cannot deny that the actual performance of the new Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlight design do seem to be better. Yes, it does have distinct and noticable hot spots and I do wish it had more of a column of light down the middle like the original design has but, aside from that, the brighter, whiter and wider beam is impressive. Having said all that, if I had to choose between the two designs, I might still go with the original design as I think they look way cool and really, the only way you could see the difference between them and the newer design is to do a nit-picky side by side test like I just did.

Pros & Cons of the Truck-Lite Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlights

main.php

PROS:
• Whiter and Noticeably brighter light than the original design - similar to HID's I've seen
• Noticeable wider beam than original design
• High beams provide an awesome amount of light
• No purple fringing
• Factory looks if that's what you're looking for

CONS:
• Has very distinct hot spots with low beams on
• If you're wanting something that looks new and unique, these look plain and factory
• The actual headlights look like they have a smoke tint to them when off

Pros & Cons of the Truck-Lite Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlights

main.php

PROS:
• Provide a much brighter and whiter light than factory or IPF's
• Much wider beam than factory or IPF's
• Offers a nice column of light in front of you
• Very nice high beams
• While they do have hot spots, they are not as distinct as the new design
• Looks futuristic and unique if that's something you're looking for

CONS:
• Not as white or bright as the new Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlight design
• Not as wide of a beam as the new Complex Reflector Optics Design LED Headlight design
• Has purple fringing
• Looks very unique and different if that isn't something you want

Markymark420

Excellent write up and great comparison pictures. I had read about the "ghost" x's that the new lights projected but had never seen them pictured before. I agree the new gen Trucklites appear to have a much wider spread and cleaner light. How are they on your eyes while driving, would you say that they cause any eye fatigue on long drives at night?

GCM 2

Great write up and comparison, I think I still lean towards the original gen I but only because of the unique look. However, if one of the JK Forum vendors is still offering the gen II and rigid dually set up, I may just bite the bullet on that combo.

Tim

so how about ice and snow? I think you posted a pic or 2 of the snow and ice build up while you guys were in Moab. Can't remember which light was in that pic. Are both lights effected the same? or is one better than the other? being in CO. it's a concern with a light that doesn't get very warm.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great write up and comparison, I think I still lean towards the original gen I but only because of the unique look. However, if one of the JK Forum vendors is still offering the gen II and rigid dually set up, I may just bite the bullet on that combo.

While the new lights are a little better, I too still lean toward the original lights. I just like the way they look and they still work great.

so how about ice and snow? I think you posted a pic or 2 of the snow and ice build up while you guys were in Moab. Can't remember which light was in that pic. Are both lights effected the same? or is one better than the other? being in CO. it's a concern with a light that doesn't get very warm.

Neither one of these lights will melt snow and ice. At least, they didn't for us.

KenB1010

I've had the opportunity to drive with the Gen2 lights in ice and snow over the last 2 weeks. The lights do ice over ( their not hot enough to melt the snow), but I don't notice any major difference in the light output when there iced over. The most ice I've had on them so far is about 1/4" thick on the lens.

Tim

hmmm... may have to keep this mod on the bottom of the list for a while. They put so much salt a other crap on the roads up here, the snow melting on the lens actually helps keep it clean. might just have to go with a super white of some sort till I have the Jeep a full winter to make a better judgement call.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I love the new look. I really want a set for my 90 MJ.

It really could use the upgrade before the JK.

Hightower

GCM 2 said:

Greg
I bought a set old style for what I thought was a great deal on eBay until one light arrived in the UPS truck now waiting on second light and the great deal feeling has long since pasted. ;-(
PS I talked with Mel and Lisa about our Atlas volume discount it may take a little more convincing! Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Greg
I bought a set old style for what I thought was a great deal on eBay until one light arrived in the UPS truck now waiting on second light and the great deal feeling has long since pasted. ;-(
PS I talked with Mel and Lisa about our Atlas volume discount it may take a little more convincing! Lol

:cheesy: I think Trail Bud did the exact same thing.

GCM 2

Whats the cheapest anyone has found these for?

I think the average price (with the pigtail adapters included in the deal) is typically around $500, + or - a few dollars. I have seen a few guys comment on the other forums that they have paid possibly as low as $450'ish, but it was almost coming across as trying to "one-up' the previous guy that bought lights even cheaper than the guy before him.

rtguy1

discountfleetsupply.com has the best price on the tl's
$404.65 shipped for the new ones w/ no pigtails. don't need the pigtails if u are gonna use a full wiring harness.
$419.85 with the harnesses. this deal has been around for a bit. u need to enter the code "lifeisgood5" to get 5% off the price :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
discountfleetsupply.com has the best price on the tl's
$404.65 shipped for the new ones w/ no pigtails. don't need the pigtails if u are gonna use a full wiring harness.
$419.85 with the harnesses. this deal has been around for a bit. u need to enter the code "lifeisgood5" to get 5% off the price :rock:

Wow, that's a damn good price for anyone who is intersted. Thanks for posting that up :thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Too bad your two weeks late. :banghead:

I saw that site a few months back and when going to purchase my truck lites I couldn't remember that site. I paid $439 though.

Top Bottom