1997 TJ Front Axle Question

mrjester

I am considering putting an air locker in my front axle. It is a D30 currently, the rear is a D44 w/detroit locker (by Superior Axle). Gearing is currently 4.56 and I plan not to go any larger then the 33" tires i currently run. My question is: Should I just get rid of the D30 and go D44?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that you're going to stick with 33's, I think you'd be fine with keeping the Dana 30.

Jeeper4life.

If you are gonna do anything, maybe find a HP dana 30 out of a Cherokee. But I think you should be fine either way!

Lobo6

D30/arb

Hi! I had the same dilemma with my '97 TJ. I ended up replacing the low pinion D30 with a high pinion D30 from my son's wrecked XJ.
I trussed the housing and changed gearing to 4.56 with the ARB locker. I am running 33x13.50x15 Toyo Open Country M/T's.
I did not upgrade to the 30 spline after market axles due to running low on cash! (Gee...nobody else has been there!)
I have the Rock Krawler long arm system with around 4 to 5inches of lift depending on how I set it up.
I have had no trouble so far with this set up. My engine is a stock 4.0 and 3 speed (now dying!) auto.
This set up was done in 2008. In 2009 I drove this from Washington State to the Jeepers Jamboree, did the Rubicon Trail and drove back home. In 2010 our trip was to Nevada and Arizona, meeting friends and running trails all over each State.
We did a Moab trip and again, no problems.
A lot of this is common sense, don't use the throttle as the only answer and drive by "braille", meaning listen and feel your rig.
I am planning to upgrade from my D30 to a Currie product in the future, only because I am going with an engine swap in 2014.
You should be just fine!

Top Bottom