Dirty tb questions

Ben-0

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369450664.879329.jpg took my tb off to clean as regular maintenance and I'm looking at the worst sludge iv ever seen on a tb...this is my fist jk and have had it for a little under 3k miles. Not real familiar with the 3.8 either, should I clean that manifold? Throw me your ideas or knowledge
Thanks guys

10frank9

Web Wheeler
View attachment 31644 took my tb off to clean as regular maintenance and I'm looking at the worst sludge iv ever seen on a tb...this is my fist jk and have had it for a little under 3k miles. Not real familiar with the 3.8 either, should I clean that manifold? Throw me your ideas or knowledge
Thanks guys

Wow yes. Take some TB cleaner and soak it. Then wipe it clean. Repeat until its shiny an sludge free. I used to do that to my 3.8 every air filter change or cleaning.

Ben-0

O ya I used about 1/2 can spraying it down, my question is should i clean the intake manifold because it's got to be pretty bad also, I cleaned around the opening but not sure if I should take it apart and give it some attention or leave it be?

Ben-0

View attachment 31644 took my tb off to clean as regular maintenance and I'm looking at the worst sludge iv ever seen on a tb...this is my fist jk and have had it for a little under 3k miles. Not real familiar with the 3.8 either, should I clean that manifold? Throw me your ideas or knowledge
Thanks guys

Some more info, 07 manual with 96k

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a 2010 and clean the TB removed from the vehicle, never considered cleaning the intake. Guess if you had a cam scope where you could run it in and take a look at how bad it is.
that said, I have shot cleaner (short bursts) through the TB (after it's cleaned and installed) with the engine is running and having someone ready to rev it up just as it begins to choke...I don't do it a lot as I don't know what damage it may do.
after the TB cleaning it's always a bit better.

Ben-0

I cleaned around the opening and I wish I took a pic of the cloth I used it was pretty black...Im not real worried about it the engine runs strong but It's pretty black in there and can't be to good, I don't think it would be to hard to open up the intake manifold

Ben-0

Alright well I took the tb off and sprayed the hell out of the intake with seafoam intake cleaner (I tried to fallow seafoams directions but the spray rod they give you sucks) and threw the tb back on and started it up....it smoked pretty bad for at least 3-5min
not a big change in the engine performance as it ran just fine before but it sounds better and might see a 0.xx increase in mpg maybe. I feel better knowing that's it's cleaner and hopefully will decrease the residue getting on the tb, I'll check the tb and intake at my next oil change and let you know if anyone cares, I know the intake isn't 100% clean especially how I sprayed it in there so ill probly hit it again at my next 2 oil changes and probly call it good for a little awhile

But if you haven't checked yours and your mileage is starting to get up there I highly recommend it

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Holy cow, that's a lot of oil. Looks like you got some issues with your PCV valve or something.

Ben-0

Ya I just thinking about that the other day, and at $10 for a new one you can't go wrong, oil consumption isn't bad at all tho witch makes me think it's fine

Top Bottom