Water crossing

tkkim

I cross some very short 40 second water creek. Do i have to open my differential cover? To check gear?

TrailBear

You can pull the filler plug and stick your finger in to check the oil, if its grey or white you need to change the oil as water got in, if its golden, or brownish your good to go.

If you don't push the limits how do you find them??

bholder817

From what I know and I learn from doing and reading on the forums here.

Unless you have a way for the water to get in then do not worry about it to much. But if your differential does have a leak or has some oil that is escaping then you may wanna drain it and see if any water got in it.

jeeeep

Hooked
From what I know and I learn from doing and reading on the forums here.

Unless you have a way for the water to get in then do not worry about it to much. But if your differential does have a leak or has some oil that is escaping then you may wanna drain it and see if any water got in it.

x2 remove the filler plug and check the color of the oil. unless you stopped and was stuck or your vent tube was off it should be ok. that said, I always pull the plug after a bunch of water crossings just to be sure

darkscion0

Always a good idea to check your diff fluid. That being said, my experience is that unless the top of your axle breather hose was under water, you should be fine. I've been in a lot of water which almost always submerges the whole diff and my diff fluid is still fine.

Rooster76

I would guess your safe, but it doesn't hurt to check some out the 3/8" drain hole.

I would extend your breathers for next time. It's cheap and easy to do with some fuel line. Less than $20 for the axles. I did a youTube video about it. http://youtu.be/PbxL2m6CUhw

Last edited:

billybob990

I have a leak at the pinion on my front axle, I've been wanting to change the seal. Do I have to reshim?

olllllllo

Mr.Tan

In my older JK i had before the jku now, i used to do a LOT of water crossings in creeks and in flooded roads that were up to the bottoms of the doors. I never had issues with water in the difs. If you feel the need to check, go right ahead.. its not gonna hurt anything to be over-cautious

Top Bottom